• Show
Clear All

• U.S. journalists head home from North Korea

# Story Highlights
    # Laura Ling, Euna Lee pardoned, leave country with Bill Clinton
    # Clinton negotiates pardon with leader Kim Jong Il
    # "Clinton expressed sincere words of apology," North Korea says
    # Visit comes amid tension over North Korea's nuclear program

(CNN) -- Two U.S. journalists who had been detained by North Korea were traveling back to the United States with former President Clinton hours after being pardoned, a Clinton spokesman said.
    Former President Clinton meets Tuesday with North Korea leader Kim Jong Il.

"They are en route to Los Angeles [California] where Laura and Euna will be reunited with their families," said spokesman Matt McKenna.

Doug Ling, Laura's father, reacted to the news outside his home in Carmichael, California, with, "One of the best days in my life ... I figured, sooner or later, they'd be back."

In Los Angeles, family friend Wally Yang said the Ling family had "done everything they could, while respecting the North Korean government, to try and get Laura home."

He predicted that Ling would remain a journalist. "Despite this terrifying experience, I can't imagine that Laura would give up her passion to tell stories that otherwise wouldn't be heard."

Their release Wednesday came after Clinton met with top government officials in Pyongyang.

"Clinton expressed words of sincere apology to Kim Jong Il for the hostile acts committed by the two American journalists against the DPRK after illegally intruding into it," the news agency reported. "Clinton courteously conveyed to Kim Jong Il an earnest request of the U.S. government to leniently pardon them and send them back home from a humanitarian point of view.

"The meetings had candid and in-depth discussions on the pending issues between the DPRK and the U.S. in a sincere atmosphere and reached a consensus of views on seeking a negotiated settlement of them." Video Watch Ling's father welcome his daughter's pardon »

The report said Clinton then conveyed a message from President Obama "expressing profound thanks for this and reflecting views on ways of improving the relations between the two countries."

But White House spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters in Washington before the announced agreement that Clinton was not carrying any message -- written or oral -- from Obama.

Gibbs added that the former president last spoke with Obama during a White House visit in March. He described Clinton's trip as a "solely private mission to secure the release of two Americans."

The report from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, the nation's official name, described the agreement to release the journalists as "a manifestation of the DPRK's humanitarian and peace-loving policy.

"The DPRK visit of Clinton and his party will contribute to deepening the understanding between the DPRK and the U.S. and building the bilateral confidence."

Ling and Lee are reporters for California-based Current TV -- a media venture launched by Clinton's former vice president, Al Gore.

The women were arrested in March while reporting from the border between North Korea and China and sentenced in June to 12 years in prison on charges of entering the country illegally to conduct a smear campaign. Because the United States has no diplomatic relations with North Korea, efforts to resolve the issue had been handled through Sweden, which represents U.S. interests in North Korea.

The visit by the former president, whose wife, Hillary Clinton, is the Obama administration's secretary of state, came about three weeks after the United States dropped a request that Ling and Lee be released on humanitarian grounds. Instead, the United States was seeking amnesty for the women, Hillary Clinton said. Video Watch what may lie behind the pick of Bill Clinton »

Clinton's mission came as the United States and its allies in the region are seeking to persuade North Korea to return to nuclear disarmament talks, which have stalled. North Korea conducted its second nuclear bomb test in May, and has conducted several missile tests since. The United Nations has responded to those tests by tightening and expanding sanctions on the nation.

North Korea and the United States were on opposite sides in the 1950-1953 Korean War and had no regular contacts before a 1994 crisis over North Korea's nuclear program. North Korea agreed then to halt the development of nuclear weapons, but abandoned that accord and withdrew from the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty in 2003.

Former President Clinton had considered visiting North Korea in 2000, near the end of his second term as president. His secretary of state, Madeleine Albright, had gone to Pyongyang in early 2000 to meet with Kim.

The 67-year-old North Korean leader is widely reported to have suffered a stroke a year ago and is believed to be grooming his youngest son, Kim Jon Un, as his successor.

I heard Bill Clinton made an offer Kim Jong Il couldn't refuse!!

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
    [B]# Story Highlights

I heard Bill Clinton made an offer Kim Jong Il couldn't refuse!!
    Knee-pads?? :-)

On a serious note, good job Pres Clinton.

Comment

I'm waiting to see how the Clinton-haters contrive to make this a bad thing. Not if, how.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I understand N Korea mentioned beforehand the two young journalists would be free if Bill Clinton come for a visit to Pyongyang. One of the outcomes they got is a smiling picture of Kim Il Sung standing besides Bill Clinton.
        Last edited by Merlin; 05 Aug 09,, 10:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
          I'm waiting to see how the Clinton-haters contrive to make this a bad thing. Not if, how.
          I'm a big Bush and Bush Sr fan, but to be honest I've always thought Clinton was cool.

I actually like him even more after this. He came, he saw and he conquered :))

Comment

If there was ever a doubt about Kim's health...wow.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
              He legitimised the NK regime... apparently.

Think Progress Even After North Korea Frees American Journalists, Bolton Insists Clinton Trip Was A Mistake

If the Colonel's reading: What's the chance this was "Give us the journos or we'll stop the rice and fuel."?

(Replace rice and fuel with whatever)
              HD Ready?

Comment

I'm worried about the safety of those two young female asian students on a transpac flight with Bubba.

But seriously, he did that fast! Nice job.
                You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
                  ...I actually like him even more after this. He came, he saw and he conquered :))
                  Who was it last time? The Whitehouse intern, Monica L.
                  Last edited by Merlin; 05 Aug 09,, 16:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
                    I'm worried about the safety of those two young female asian students on a transpac flight with Bubba. ....
                    Hiliary was answering a question at a news conference, and answered in a matter of fact mannere with a straight face, "My husband is flying back with the two young ladies".
                    Last edited by Merlin; 05 Aug 09,, 16:09.

Comment

See, Even up to this date....GORE HAS NO BALLS!

The two girls even work for him and he has done nothing. *****!:P
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                        See, Even up to this date....GORE HAS NO BALLS!

The two girls even work for him and he has done nothing. *****!:P
                        If you'd been following the story you'd know what a load of bs that is
                        Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost.”
                        ~Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Roosveltrepub View Post
                          If you'd been following the story you'd know what a load of bs that is

Didn't Clinton fly on Gore's plane?

Comment

Come on guys, do you really believe they are "journalists?" Much like the 3 "tourists" in Iraq/Iran border, I think they have another employer besides Al Gore.

Heeeeyyyyy....another conspiracy theory by yours truly...
                            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                              Come on guys, do you really believe they are "journalists?" Much like the 3 "tourists" in Iraq/Iran border, I think they have another employer besides Al Gore.

Heeeeyyyyy....another conspiracy theory by yours truly...
                              Lets see what Philip Seymour has to say about that -

Comment

Working...
                              X