Surgery Oz Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Oz Style

We breed 'em tough in Oz. No need for all this new fangled namby pamby surgical gear. Bleeding on the brain? Head for the tool shed & hand me a Black & Decker (or in this case a De Walt).

Doctor saves boy's life with power drill

A country doctor is being hailed as a life-saver after using a power drill to bore into a 12-year-old boy's skull.

Nicholas Rossi suffered bleeding to the brain and began drifting in and out of consciousness after falling from his bike near a friend's home in Maryborough, Victoria.

After realising the local hospital did not have the necessary surgical equipment, Dr Rob Carson used a drill from the maintenance room to bore into the boy's skull and relieve the pressure on his brain.

He was given advice on the phone by leading Melbourne neurosurgeon David Wallace.

Michael Rossi says his son would have died if Dr Carson had not acted quickly.

"He came out and he saw us and he said he's only got one shot at it, and one shot only," he said. "[He said] 'I'm going to drill into Nick's head and try and relieve the pressure'."

"And he said if we can relieve the pressure he's going to reach Melbourne via air ambulance in a lot better shape than if we don't try something.

"Dr Carson told me all he can remember saying is, 'Get the Black and Decker'."

Anaesthetist David Tynan assisted with the procedure and says Dr Carson saved the boy's life.

"He seems to have made a marvellous recovery," he said.

"It was obvious the next morning [when] they were able to take him off the ventilator and in fact by Sunday he was up and walking around."

Mr Rossi said Mr Wallace said it was a life-saving procedure.

"If they hadn't done that it was the difference between a patient arriving dead or alive. It just pointed out to us just how vital that procedure [was] that was done in Maryborough," he said.

He said the case was similar to the death of Liam Neeson's wife Natasha Richardson.

"Mr Wallace the neurosurgeon basically said it was a classic case of the movie actress - Liam Neeson's wife," he said.

"You think nothing's wrong but she had a bleed and you go unconscious and don't wake up."

Nicholas Rossi has made a full recovery after the procedure and celebrated his 13th birthday yesterday.
    Doctor saves boy's life with power drill - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

I know something about the brain, the skull, and the fluid inside. As he himself is a doctor and he has received additional instruction from a neurosurgeon, he should be able to handle this emergency.

To cut holes through the skill shell, neurosurgeons use tools similar to those in a technical workshop in their surgical operation theatres, including power drill and wire saw.

In this case I think he has to make sure the power drill and the drill bit are clean and he drill only through the hard skull shell, not beyond it into the brain tissues. Some brain fluid can then be released, relieving the pressure inside.

The brain fluid keeps the brain gently floating in the skull. It is contained in a closed membrane sac just inside the skull cavity.
    Last edited by Merlin; 20 May 09,, 10:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      We breed 'em tough in Oz. No need for all this new fangled namby pamby surgical gear. Bleeding on the brain? Head for the tool shed & hand me a Black & Decker (or in this case a De Walt).
      I’ve always been a big proponent of DIY brain surgery.
      Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Comment

Im impressed ,, must come from good ol English stock

Comment

I hate to burst everyone's bubble but as any kiwi could have told you there was no danger to the lad as Aussies don't have anything inside their skull to damage......
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Incredible...talk about thinking on your feet. Well done doc, you're truely blessed with some amazing talent.

Was the boy wearing a helmet?

Nebula82.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
              I hate to burst everyone's bubble but as any kiwi could have told you there was no danger to the lad as Aussies don't have anything inside their skull to damage......
              Now, now, not wise to go there because there are thousands of stories like this;

During a Rugby tour of New Zealand the Australian team are relaxing in a pub after a hard fought victory.

Three Kiwis, angry at their team's loss decide to see if they can spark a brawl.

The 1st one walks up to Matthew Burke and says "George Gregan is gay"
              Burke replies "yeah thats nice".
              The 2nd one walks up to him and says "George Gregan roots sheep"
              Burke looks up and answers " yeah thats nice".
              The 3rd one walks up to him and says " George Gregan is a kiwi"
              Matthew turns around and says " yeah I thought thats what your friends were trying to tell me. :)):P

Well done to the Doc anyway.
              He did the right thing to save the boy and in a litlgious world, quite courageous considering what would have likely happened to him if it had gone wrong.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
              X