Russian Orthodox Church Resurgent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Orthodox Church Resurgent

It is interesting to note that after the fall of the Soviet Union the Russian Orthodox Church is resurgent with over 100 million Russian adherents in the Russian Federation. Patriarch Kirill was crowned the new Russian Patriach on feb 1st 2009 with President Dimitry Medvedev and Prime Minister Putin Present. He was crowned in the Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow.

The Russian Orthodox Church and the Russian Government have close links with each other. My question is how far a part wil religion play in determining
    Russian policy?

Russian Federation is still a secular state and is not a monarchy either. I would not assume to much, seeing Pres. Medvedev and/or Premier minister Putin visiting a church – nothing wrong with it, as long as it's meant honest.

And a little more Faith after decades of repressions against Orthodox Church in Russia wouldn't do much harm either, even on the contrary, would help to rebuild a better country, imo.

Comment

I was not saying it is a negative development and I think it it quite a positive development to see religion playing a part in Russian life again.

Comment

I was not saying it is a negative development and I think it it quite a positive development to see religion playing a part in Russian life again.
        What is positive about it?

Comment

Originally posted by neyzen View Post
          What is positive about it?
          Hi Neyzen,

No religion is perfect, but one benefit IMO is that religions usually help promote moral values.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsTalk View Post
            Hi Neyzen,

No religion is perfect, but one benefit IMO is that religions usually help promote moral values.
            I dont think his issue is with ALL religions ;)
            The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

It is positive because Religion helps to promote moral values.

Comment

Originally posted by great one View Post
                It is positive because Religion helps to promote moral values.
                Religion has no monopoly in promoting morale values. Communists have them too. ******** in general are not religious, but I can not say they are immoral.
                Russia today is mostly secular. Officials are trying use Orthodox Christianity instead of communist ideology, but they did not succeed much. Many of those people, who baptize children, invite priests to read burial service and celebrate Orthodox Christian fests do it not from deep belief in God, but because of decency of these rites. Demonstration of church going became fashion among top officials, beau monde and criminals. It seems to me, that those biggest sinners have more reasons to go to Church.
                During Yeltsyn rule Church was granted privilege to import alcohol and tobacco. They earned big money from that activity. In that time death rate from alcohol and deceases increased greatly.

Comment

Originally posted by fareasterner View Post
                  Religion has no monopoly in promoting morale values. Communists have them too. ******** in general are not religious, but I can not say they are immoral.
                  Actually by definition religion does have a monopoly on morality. There are those who are not religious but still lead right lives, they are called ethical.

Comment

Working...
                  X