I thought Justice was slow in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought Justice was slow in the US

Holly Crap. I see "The right to a speedy trial" isn't part of the Indian Constitution

Man jailed for taking 50 cents 24 years ago
    Wed Feb 4, 10:22 am ET

PATNA, India (Reuters) – An Indian court sentenced a 75-year-old doctor to jail for accepting half a dollar as a bribe nearly a quarter of a century ago, officials said Wednesday.

India's federal police caught Balgovind Prasad accepting 25 rupees (51 cents) from a sweeper in 1985 for issuing a fake medical certificate, police said.

The case dragged on for years and Prasad was convicted in 1992 and given a one-year jail term. He was freed as he appealed the sentence.

Tuesday, a higher court in India's eastern state of Bihar state reduced the one-year term to three months, saying the bribe amount was too small, but directed the police to take Prasad into custody as he was guilty of the crime.

"The case was also dragging and the bribe money was too small, so Prasad thought he would get a reprieve from the court," prosecution lawyer Vipin Kumar Sinha told reporters after the verdict. "But all the charges has been proved against him."

Indian justice is often delivered at a glacial pace and a case can drag for decades with endless hearings.

(Writing by Bappa Majumdar; Editing by Alistair Scrutton and Sugita Katyal)

At least he was convicted of a crime. This guy's spent 14 years in prison, for contempt of court. http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news...html?viewAll=y
    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmchairGeneral View Post
      At least he was convicted of a crime. This guy's spent 14 years in prison, for contempt of court. http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news...html?viewAll=y
      Wow, sucks to be him.

Comment

The problem is because of a lack of judges, courts and old and inefficient bureaucracy.
        The police also suffer from the same lack of numbers and funding.
        I dont see this changing any time soon, politicians and corrupt bureaucrats like the system the way it is now as it lets them get away with anything.
        No government of India will ever raise police manpower or increase the number of courts and judges.
        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

It makes no cents......

Comment

Originally posted by Exarecr View Post
            It makes no cents......
            Groooooooooooooooooooan ;)

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
              Groooooooooooooooooooan ;)
              Hee..Hee...Kinda hard to ignore the easy ones.

Comment

Won't even pretend to be shocked, stuff like this is fairly common around here, neither is this is an isolated case, nor is it the worst one.
                When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X