Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas girls hoops team seeks forfeit of 100-0 win

Updated: January 22, 2009, 5:45 PM EST

DALLAS (AP) - A high school girls basketball team that beat an opponent 100-0 has a case of blowout remorse.

The winning school now says it wants to do the right thing by seeking a forfeit and apologizing for the margin of victory.

"It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened," the head of the school said Thursday on The Covenant School's Web site. He added that Covenant has made "a formal request to forfeit the game recognizing that a victory without honor is a great loss."

Covenant, a private Christian school in Dallas, defeated Dallas Academy 100-0 last week. Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers — even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

"I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots," said Renee Peloza, whose daughter plays for Dallas Academy. "At some point, they should have backed off."

Dallas Academy coach Jeremy Civello told The Dallas Morning News that the game turned into a "layup drill," with the opposing team's guards waiting to steal the ball and drive to the basket. Covenant scored 12 points in the fourth quarter and "finally eased up when they got to 100 with about four minutes left," he said.

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become lopsided. There is, however, "a golden rule" that should have applied in this contest, said Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school sports in Texas.

"On a personal note, I told the coach of the losing team how much I admire their girls for continuing to compete against all odds," Burleson said. "They showed much more character than the coach that allowed that score to get out of hand. It's up to the coach to control the outcome."

Covenant coach Micah Grimes and head of school Kyle Queal did not immediately respond to messages left by The Associated Press on Thursday.

In the statement on the Covenant Web site, Queal said the game "does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition. We humbly apologize for our actions and seek the forgiveness of Dallas Academy, TAPPS and our community."

Queal said school officials met with Dallas Academy officials to apologize and praised the Dallas Academy players for "strength, composure and fortitude in a game in which they clearly emerged the winner."

Peloza said the coach and other parents praised the Dallas Academy girls for limiting Covenant to 12 points in the fourth quarter. She added that neither her daughter nor her teammates seemed to dwell on the loss.

"Somewhere during that game they got caught up in the moment," Peloza said, referring to the Covenant players, fans and coaches. "Our girls just moved on. That's the happy part of the story."
    http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story...PHCP&GT1=39002

I don't know which is worse. Loosing by 100-0 or the team that did it asks for a forfeit. I think it's insult plus injury.

I've been on the losing end of many a blowouts. Sure, it doesn't feel good. But we played hard and the other team played hard. I would feel more insulted if they didn't play hard or take pity on us.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

I don't think the winning team should forfeit. Just apologize and move forward. 100-0 is a nice way of scaring your opponents, what happened to winning is everything??!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
      I don't think the winning team should forfeit.
      Me neither; if they cannot handle defeat, they shouldn't play competitively.

Comment

Its a game between 14 year old girls. The real world is already tough, we can atleast let our kids have a few years of peace. All this talk about "if you can't handle it don't play" etc is just nuts.
        "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed."

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
          Its a game between 14 year old girls. The real world is already tough, we can atleast let our kids have a few years of peace. All this talk about "if you can't handle it don't play" etc is just nuts.
          This is an organized league. If no one competes to win, whats the point in playing team vs team throughout the whole season? There are other places to play for fun: during gym class or after school with your own friends.

Comment

I think the point of interest is that the losing team was composed of kids with learning difficulties. What I get from the story is that this was like bullying the kids on the short bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Inst View Post
              I think the point of interest is that the losing team was composed of kids with learning difficulties. What I get from the story is that this was like bullying the kids on the short bus.
              Precisely.
              "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those others that have been tried from time to time. "

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
                This is an organized league. If no one competes to win, whats the point in playing team vs team throughout the whole season? There are other places to play for fun: during gym class or after school with your own friends.
                When you have a team at 50 to zip you already know that you have won. You don't have to score another 50 points to prove it. Then it is no longer a competitive league.

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Sad :(

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                    When you have a team at 50 to zip you already know that you have won. You don't have to score another 50 points to prove it. Then it is no longer a competitive league.
                    Then the losing team should've forfeited after the 0-50. You have to remember that there is a 24 second shot clock, if you don't take a shot by then its a violation and the opposing team gets the ball. My question is this, when the winning team is dribbling the ball and it gets to about 20 seconds, what did you want them to do? Just lob it in the air without a target? lol They HAD to continue playing; they could've eased up for sure

If its true what INST wrote, then it is a shame.

P.S Most athletes have learning difficulties. Everyone knows the stereotypes for the Jocks :P

Comment

Originally posted by Inst View Post
                      They have been showing this on the local news. Yeah it was. Key facts the coach on the losing team told them they could give up at half time. the team choose to play to the end. Their school is very small. Their team allows anyone who asks to be on the team to be on the team. The real story is that they did not give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeolusdallas View Post
                        They have been showing this on the local news. Yeah it was. Key facts the coach on the losing team told them they could give up at half time. the team choose to play to the end. Their school is very small. Their team allows anyone who asks to be on the team to be on the team. The real story is that they did not give up.
                        Theres only one way to go after this loss, and thats up! "Never say die" is the way to go, only makes you stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeolusdallas View Post
                          There we go. They had decided to finish the game and there's no shame in that. There's also no shame in winning 100-0.

I've been mercied in hockey games before. The other team was just plain old better than us. We played as hard as we could and they did too. There's no animosity toward them. I would be more pissed off if they came up after the game and offered to forfeit because they felt sorry for us.
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

They fired the coach of the winning team.
                            Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                              They fired the coach of the winning team.
                              Hehe, I heard he was going ballistic on the side lines screaming for his players to keep going lol

Comment

Working...
                              X