Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does Iran gain from destroying Israel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does Iran gain from destroying Israel?

I am really curious about this. Lets say Israel is wiped out entirely somehow. Having no borders with it or power projection capability or any citizens-ethnic links what Iran hopes to gain from it? Arabs will not welcome them as a leader anyway since they are not sunni and especially not Arabian so whats the catch for them?

I suspect this whole Israeli - Iranian conflict is to keep their population under control using nationalistic-religious feelings.

Originally posted by TTL View Post
    I am really curious about this. Lets say Israil is wiped out entirely somehow. Having no borders with it or power projection capability or any citizens-ethinc links what Iran hopes to gain from it? Arabs will not welcome them as a leader anyway since they are not sunni and especially not Arabian so whats the catch for them?

I suspect this whole Israeli - Iranian conflict is to keep their population under control using nationalistic-religious feelings.
    Switching from Sunni to Shiite is always a possibility.

For what I know, and I'm no expert, the main point of discordance between Sunni and Shiite is to figure out who is or can be the successor of the prophet. If you are muslims yourself you could enlight me on that.

By supporting the palestinians, the Iranians hope to expand their supports in the muslims world. Even if Shia are a minority in many arabs countries, it is still a majority in Iraq. If they are seen as the true defensors of Islam in the world (using the israel-palestine conflict as a buffer), they will certainly find more adherents a bit everywhere in the world, increasing their power as a result.

Comment

Well I don't think Iranians will switch to sunni school its like italians deciding to become protestant. People don't give up their beliefs easily actually they don't give up even when terrorized and persecuted.

I am a sunni myself though not a devout one, our beliefs are very similar to that of shias main difference being more about the doctrines and local culture.
      However it is still enough for example to keep azeris a separate people from turks. We talk the same language have very similar traditions and ethnically are the same people yet still different nations. Iranians and Arabs are not even comparable so they will hard time convincing any arab country not to see them as just another foreign power.

Comment

Well I don't think Iranians will switch to sunni school its like italians deciding to become protestant. People don't give up their beliefs easily actually they don't give up even when terrorized and persecuted.

I am a sunni myself though not a devout one, our beliefs are very similar to that of shias main difference being more about the doctrines and local culture.
        However it is still enough for example to keep azeris a separate people from turks. We talk the same language have very similar traditions and ethnically are the same people yet still different nations. Iranians and Arabs are not even comparable so they will hard time convincing any arab country not to see them as just another foreign power.
        You misread me. I didn't talk about Iran switching sunnite, I'm talking about Iranians influence growing in the arab world, making it more possible to get support from shiite minorities and maybe, who knows, convert some sunnis

Comment

:D sorry my mistake. But my argument is still valid. I don't belive they will be able to influence a sizable majority.

Comment

:D sorry my mistake. But my argument is still valid. I don't belive they will be able to influence a sizable majority.
            maybe not a sizable majority but maybe gain a perceptible edge.

"ALL HAIL TO IRAN-THE SAVIOR OF THE MUSLIM WORLD WHO DESTROYED THE EVIL JEWISH TYRANNY!"

That kind of advertising might be interesting I guess..

Comment

TTL, I've heard of a separation of Persian vs Arab, is this part of it or is the Sunni/Shia doctrine the main difference?
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

TTL, I've heard of a separation of Persian vs Arab, is this part of it or is the Sunni/Shia doctrine the main difference?
                It is kind of same thing. In islamic tradition there is the concept of "ümmet" which means the whole islamic world. Shias were however never seen as a part of ümmet, for example the ottoman caliph never enjoyed any support from the iranian people. Traditionaly ümmet was more important than nation for the muslim people but that can be changing recently, kurds allied with the US for example without any popular resistance. I think however the persian arabic rivalry is more important here, afterall they are two entirely different people with different cultures and interests.

Comment

[QUOTE]

There are fundamentally compelling differences between Shiites and Sunnis. For starter I can mention the "Pillars of Islam" which is assumed to be the primary doctrine of Islam in which Sunnis believe there are 3 and Shiites believe there are 5.

However it is still enough for example to keep azeris a separate people from turks. We talk the same language have very similar traditions and ethnically are the same people yet still different nations.
                  Differ!!
                  I'm an Azari and I promise you beside few common terminologies I won't understand a word you say.

Iranians and Arabs are not even comparable so they will hard time convincing any arab country not to see them as just another foreign power.
                  Agreed!

Comment

There is also the fact that israel is the only country in the region that individually can be a military threat to the Iranians. It is also a way for the Iranians to strike at a proxie of the US with relatively few repercussions. It also allows the governement to have a more solid threat with which to galvanize and distract the populous than the US, as the revolution hasn't exactly brought sweaping prosperity to the people.

From the actual destruction of Israel very little.

From the continued threatening and baiting of israel quite a bit. They also garner some support from their neighbors with the israelis making threats against them.

Comment

Aryajet actually sunnis also believe in 5 pillars of islam. The main difference is about the schisim between Ali and Muhammed I think which is more of a theological subject and actually does not have much to do with everyday life habbits.

My mother is an azeri and my whole family on mother's side are also azeri and I can understand what they are saying. Not abstract or advanced topics of course but enough for me to see around in Tebriz by myself. Maybe your dialect is different than theirs.

Comment

Iran has no interests in Palestine. Zero. Nada. Its just posturing and a cheap attempt at becoming the leader of the "Arab world" by exploiting a reliable source of anger in the Muslim world. Which will ultimately fail, because nations trump religion or whatever foreign cause. Unless Israel and the US give them a hand.

Comment

A nuclear missle straight up their arrogant religion twisting asses!:P
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post

Funny I was just about to say the very same thing, they would get near to destroying Israel.:)

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post

Good one mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X