Most Innovative Video Game System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Innovative Video Game System?

Obviously, the newer video game systems out there have better graphics, sound, etc., so this question is slightly different.

Which system was the most innovative and why?
    Intellivision
    5.56%
    Atari 2600
    8.33%
    Colecovision
    0.00%
    Nintendo
    8.33%
    PlayStation
    8.33%
    XBox
    2.78%
    XBox360
    8.33%
    PlayStation2
    11.11%
    Nintendo64
    2.78%
    NintendoGameCube
    0.00%
    PlayStation3
    5.56%
    NintendoWii
    38.89%
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

most innovative? The Intellivision. 16 bit (first one), voice synthesis and you could even download games! And quite a few other innovations.

But the most influential was the NES. It did not really much new, but was good at what it did (including marketing), and had the best controller.

edit: uhm when I wrote that there where only the first 4 options there. But my point still stands.

Comment

Of the ones on the list I voted N64 primarily because two of the most important aspects of modern video games (analog stick and 3D graphics) were pioneered to the mainstream on it.

Also, definetly agree with tarek about NES, and heads up for ma main man the dreamcast, first console with a reasonable online component, and I loved the VGAs :))!
      Last edited by crooks; 11 Dec 08,, 14:57.
      Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
      - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Pong. For without it the world would not have been entertained until these later generation systems appeared. IMO Pong started it all. Opps showing a little bit of age here.
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Intellivision, followed by the Atari 2600 (which actually preceeded the Intellivision). I was actually considering downloading an Intellivision emulator the other day just so I could play Sea Battle again. :)

Comment

I would say Wii. It just revolutionized the gamer computer interaction like never before.

Older consoles had some of the features already, but Wii took it to a new level.

From Golf to Guitar Hero to Fit to learning systems, its just phenomenal.

Not to mention they sold 800,000 Wii's for thanksgiving
            A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
              Pong. For without it the world would not have been entertained until these later generation systems appeared. IMO Pong started it all. Opps showing a little bit of age here.
              I'm going to have to show my age and agree with Dreadnought...Pong started everything off!
              “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
              "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
              sigpic

Comment

I chose the playstation but what I wanted to choose was the ps2.
                It was in my opinion the first next gen system. Just games like "Scarface and Black" you didn't see stuff like that before.
                You kind of got the sense of where games were going after that.

Comment

I don't see Nintendo DS as one of the choices.

NDS demonstrated that interactive game play is more important than high end graphics.

Hardware spec wise, NDS does not come close to PSP. PSP even has built in browser and a media player. NDS looked down right pathetic. But interactive games and fun to play games ultimate won the day. It had a strong influence on the Wii. Nintendo realized that a lower powered system CAN beat a state of the art machine if the games are fun.

Nintendo actually makes money on the sales of the Wii console. Microsoft roughly breaks even on the 360. Sony loses money on every single PS3 sold.

By the way, the DS in Nintendo DS doesn't stand for dual screen. It stands for "developer's system." It was a project on back burner when Sony announced the PSP.

Hey...I don't see any Sega systems. The Dreamcast was a phenomenal machine for its day. A full year (technologically) ahead of PS2 and Xbox.
                  Last edited by gunnut; 11 Dec 08,, 21:53.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

btw: for those who don't know him yet might want to take a look at the Angry Video Game Nerd.

http://www.cinemassacre.com/new/?page_id=18

He..reviews old games and consoles. But beware, some of the videos contain mild swearing.

Comment

As much as I prefer the Xbox 360, Wii is definitely more innovative.

Comment

i,d say wii, user interface, isn,t like in any other console, grafics not the best, but no big deal, you actually play wii, not just move thumbs.
                        i have ps2 and like 40games sitting collecting dust for few years now, wii, i play, very often, and i only have 1 game.
                        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
                          i,d say wii, user interface, isn,t like in any other console, grafics not the best, but no big deal, you actually play wii, not just move thumbs.
                          i have ps2 and like 40games sitting collecting dust for few years now, wii, i play, very often, and i only have 1 game.
                          Let me guess...Wii Sport?
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Wii. It's the first baby steps to full 3d participation games. Everything previous were just variations on monopoly.
                            In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                              Let me guess...Wii Sport?
                              yes, that is the one
                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X