X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain to start clearing mines on Falklands

Britain to start clearing mines on Falklands

GENEVA

Britain will start next year to clear land mines left by Argentina on the Falkland Islands , a British ambassador said Friday.

Ambassador John Duncan said Britain committed to a U.N. conference on the treaty banning the weapons that it will begin the clearing of the estimated 16,000 mines left on the islands.

"By the time we've completed the tender process and appointed someone to do the mine clearance, it will probably be this time next year before they could start," Duncan told The Associated Press.

The mines were planted by Argentina which invaded the Falkland Islands in 1982, then lost a brief war with British forces. Britain also laid mines on the island, but those were subsequently removed

Britain has a 10-year deadline to clear all the Falkland mines under the treaty, Duncan said, adding that it will report every year to the U.N. conference on progress made. The new deadline is an extension from the 2009 deadline under the treaty that Britain previously said it would miss.

Britain has been criticized by other countries and campaigners for taking so long to start the clearance.

"Under great pressure from states parties over the course of the week, the U.K. made major concessions, " said Steve Goose, arms control director of New York-based Human Rights Watch.

The status of the Falklands remains hotly disputed by Argentina , which maintains its claim to sovereignty over the South Atlantic territory.

"We have been working with Argentina over the past two years to try and find out how we're going to do this," said Duncan . The joint study "took a long time because of course it is a sovereignty question," he added.

"There was a lot of misunderstanding about what was the U.K. 's intention," Duncan said, adding that countries did not understand Britain was serious about starting the clearance.

The conference, which ended Friday, agreed to the British extension. It also allowed different deadline extensions for mine clearance to Chad , Croatia , Denmark , Ecuador , Jordan , Mozambique , Nicaragua , Peru , Senegal , Thailand , Venezuela , Yemen and Zimbabwe for various reasons.
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

It is time it was done, long overdue.
    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

My question is, why hasn't Argentina ponied up the dough to do this, like say YEARS ago.

They invaded, they planted them, they lost. Case Closed.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

TH reply:

Hostilities have not officially ceased TH, and the Argies are still spouting claims to soveriegnty.
        sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
          Hostilities have not officially ceased TH, and the Argies are still spouting claims to soveriegnty.
          Well, we're all entitled to our fantasies I suppose.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Argentina planted the mines. Argentina has signed the Ottawa Treaty. Argentina lost the war. We should make them do it.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              My question is, why hasn't Argentina ponied up the dough to do this, like say YEARS ago.

That would require Argentian troops on the Falklands..I don't think the UK would like that (even if Argentia would somehow agree to do this)

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Steezy View Post
                  Argentina planted the mines. Argentina has signed the Ottawa Treaty. Argentina lost the war. We should make them do it.
                  Originally posted by tankie View Post
                  Agreed
                  We are still officially at war I believe............unless I missed it somewhere..................hence the garrison on the Islands
                  sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                    That would require Argentian troops on the Falklands..I don't think the UK would like that (even if Argentia would somehow agree to do this)
                    "Troops" in the sense that they are uniformed members of Argentina's armed forces, true.

But they'd be combat engineers, not infantry, no?

Comment

The Brits,

They lost an empire without firing a shot, but they fought a bloody war for a rock lost in the middle of the Atlantic. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar View Post
                        The Brits,

They lost an empire without firing a shot, but they fought a bloody war for a rock lost in the middle of the Atlantic. ;)
                        Thats us Oscar............was a quiet night in the pubs so we headed to the South Atlantic for a scrap
                        sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                          No Tarek.. there are more civilian mine clearance experts than the Military. No Arggies..However if the people who live there want them to clear their mines then who are we to complain;)

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar View Post
                            The Brits,

#
                            No mate we didnt lose the biggest empire the worlds ever seen ( not bad for a tiny country huh ) WE GAVE IT BACK , ref the , rock , we never lost that did we . ;)

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                              No mate we didnt lose the biggest empire the worlds ever seen WE GAVE IT BACK
                              Opinions could diverge about this point.

But for the expression "tiny country" we very much agree. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X