Hannah Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hannah Jones

What do you do when a 13 year old girl decides that she will not undergo a heart transplant which may (and it is only may) extend her life?

This is not suicide, just a case of letting nature take its course.

Should she be allowed to refuse treatment?

http://www.thoughtleader.co.za/traps...heartbreaking/

Originally posted by Traps View Post
    What do you do when a 13 year old girl decides that she will not undergo a heart transplant which may (and it is only may) extend her life?

This is not suicide, just a case of letting nature take its course.

Should she be allowed to refuse treatment?

http://www.thoughtleader.co.za/traps...heartbreaking/
    Mike the link is not working for me. I have commented on this on the BBC. She is compos mentis and (not compis mentis as some have written) fully understands the consequences of it all. Her parents and others are also with her on this. If it was a Religious decision it would not have reached the Media. It's a sad case and I hope it end well for her. I don't agree to anyone, fully C Mentis, being forced into a medical procedure they do not want.

Comment

Yes, Its her right. Not anybody elses to say.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Guys isn't the question whether or not an individual can make an "informed decision"?

Hannah is young but very bright.

As long as they are capable of making a proper decision then I don't see why they should be forced to follow the decisions of doctors or anyone else.

Comment

I don't know you guys there is a lot to think about.

Transplant aside, what would you do if your 13 year old came home and told you she had decided to have a baby? . Or was going to move out and live with her boyfriend? Would you still agree that she was old enough to make her own decision ??

It frightens me that we no longer have control over our own children, that life or death decisions can be made by a child. The youth of today are already "out of control" and we want to hand over more power to them.

I have every sympathy with Hannah her parents and her family and fully understand the implications of having to take drugs for the rest of her life but isnt that how a lot of people survive. Heart medication, diabetes medication without which a lot of people would just die. The advancement of surgery and medicine could mean that in a few years time her life may be extended further than her predicted expectancy.

Life is far too precious and she is a child. They grow up far too quickly these days we are literally taking their childhoods away from them by allowing them to take over their own parenting. Where will it end ??

Comment

Enigma as the father of 3 boys I know exactly where you are coming from.

In this case Hannah has tried everything that medical science has to offer. It's not as if it's a kneejerk reaction first time out. She knows more than most what this surgery means.

Her folks didn't abdicate they are there to help her make the decision.

Heartbreaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Traps View Post
              Enigma as the father of 3 boys I know exactly where you are coming from.

In this case Hannah has tried everything that medical science has to offer. It's not as if it's a kneejerk reaction first time out. She knows more than most what this surgery means.

Her folks didn't abdicate they are there to help her make the decision.

Heartbreaking.
              Extremely, as a mother I couldnt allow one of my children to die in this way its not in my nature. However that is only my humble opinion I respect what others have to say and of course most importantly Hannah.

Comment

I would have a difficult time being the parent of an extremely sick child to let them make a decision like this too...but not knowing the pain that Hannah is going through, she is the only one that can know how she feels. She is not "committing suicide" but letting nature take its course.
                “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                  Extremely, as a mother I couldnt allow one of my children to die in this way its not in my nature. However that is only my humble opinion I respect what others have to say and of course most importantly Hannah.
                  And that dearheart is the crux of the matter in this case, respect for others opinions especially the girl herself.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                    And that dearheart is the crux of the matter in this case, respect for others opinions especially the girl herself.
                    It certainly is Mr Lukins and the debate would continue round and round in circles with the same questions, At 13 years of age is she old enough to make this choice etc, etc.,

I know when you have been close to death the fear makes you want to live, its almost a panic type thing. Whatever the outcome my prayers are with the whole family.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                      I don't know you guys there is a lot to think about.

Transplant aside, what would you do if your 13 year old came home and told you she had decided to have a baby? . Or was going to move out and live with her boyfriend? Would you still agree that she was old enough to make her own decision ??

Sadly this happens at a frightning frequency in the UK. We have the highest teenage pregnacy in Europe. What does the Mother do..Demand termination?..go to Court to insist on a termination?..Unless there are Medical/Criminal reasons,ie. Rape, whose choice is it to keep/have the child?....The child herself

Comment

I have an 18 year old son who is autistic. That alone is a huge headache. I can only imagine what something like this is like for a parent.

Comment

Traumatic and very sad ,

Comment

Until you read about these very sad things that are happening to people of all ages around the world you tend to be in your own little bubble. Thats one of the reasons about being on here ...you get to have these problems brought to the forefront every day.
                            It is indeed a terrible thing to lose a child.... one of my dearest friends lost her 21 year old daughter a year ago.......she was an only child just finished Uni and travelling around Europe as a gift for graduating. God bless her when she arrived in Spain she complained of flu like symptoms and stayed in bed... when her friends came in she was gone. One of the saddest things I have been through.
                            Cherish your familys guys and my prayers are with this child and her family.

Comment

All I can say is she is a very brave girl who will leave a massive hole in the lives of the family who love her. My prayers are with them all.

Comment

Working...
                              X