Anti Satellite Warfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti Satellite Warfare

Imagine Two countries like the US and Russia are at war..Since most weapons use Technology dependent on satellites is there a way to neutralise enemy satellites??

Thanks......
    "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

The US used to use the ASAT missile for that role, but it's been withdrawn.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
      The US used to use the ASAT missile for that role, but it's been withdrawn.
      What do we use now?
      "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…" -- Thomas Paine

Comment

The russians had/have plans to use the Mig31 for the same purpose . Its fast and can be used to fire missiles out to low orbit sattelites. Though i dont think they went any further than flying two test Mig31 for the purpose( with some changes in airframe etc.). End of cold war led to end of such develpments too.

Comment

I heard that the programme has been revived somewhat under Dubya...
          "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEMUN

You spell program differently. Are you a Brit?
            :)
            "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character. Our citizenship in any particular state is only our local distinction. By the latter we are known at home, by the former to the world. Our great title is AMERICANS…" -- Thomas Paine

Comment

Nah,am just messed up with my spelling...don't know what to use... ;) ;)

Protester

Comment

The easy answer is not to rely on sats. See one of my much earlier posts for a good cold war book on asat tech. :)
                Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKEMUN
                  If we're putting in a defense system that can knock down ICBM's then why couldn't a similar system (or part of the ABM system for that matter) be set up to knock down sats?

Comment

Old fashioned camouflage and secrecy. I suppose launching war satellites is more practical than useing a jet plane to launch missles to space to destroy them. Hunter satellites if you will. Takes a lot of power to get out of Earth's orbit. Armed satellites are launched and permantly stay up there to patrol the orbit. Cost more expensive no doubt, but I think that would be more practical.

Comment

Originally posted by metalbeast
                      Old fashioned camouflage and secrecy. I suppose launching war satellites is more practical than useing a jet plane to launch missles to space to destroy them. Hunter satellites if you will. Takes a lot of power to get out of Earth's orbit. Armed satellites are launched and permantly stay up there to patrol the orbit. Cost more expensive no doubt, but I think that would be more practical.
                      And banned by treaty. SALT and START. All goes back to FOB systems posited in the early 60's. :)
                      Where's the bloody gin? An army marches on its liver, not its ruddy stomach.

Comment

We and the USSR both developed aircraft launched ASAT weapons. Russia also developed ground launched ASAT weapons as well. They may not currently be deployed, but if we needed them, I'm *sure* that we could have them ready for use pretty quickly. Note that I'm not talking about space based ASAT weapons, but aircraft launched ones. I'm also pretty sure that ground based interceptors (like the missile defense system) could be used to intercept low orbiting satellites.

Comment

Originally posted by The Chap
                          And banned by treaty. SALT and START. All goes back to FOB systems posited in the early 60's. :)
                          Both signed with the USSR, an entity that no longer exists.

:)

Comment

"What do we use now?"

Close your eyes.

See that?

That's what we use now...

Comment

"They may not currently be deployed, but if we needed them, I'm *sure* that we could have them ready for use pretty quickly. Note that I'm not talking about space based ASAT weapons, but aircraft launched ones. I'm also pretty sure that ground based interceptors (like the missile defense system) could be used to intercept low orbiting satellites."

The shelf life of the solid rocket fuel in the old ASAT missiles loooooong ago expired(cracked).

They're nothing but paperweights now, if any even exist at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X