Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health care and the bailout

I found this today.

The one good thing that came out of this whole credit debacle, I now have the perfect pithy response to all [those] who tell me that the government should take over health care and make it affordable to everyone. You mean the way they made home ownership affordable to all through Fannie and Freddie? How did that work out for you?
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Maybe Americans don't need the government at all. If private sector works so well why bother with government?
    Last edited by Versus; 01 Oct 08,, 15:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Versus View Post
      Maybe Americans don't need the government at all. If private sector works so well why bother with government?
      A minimal baseline of rules and regulations to ensure equal opportunity (as opposed to equal outcomes) is necessary. That's the government's role.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Shek,

The one good thing that came out of this whole credit debacle, I now have the perfect pithy response to all [those] who tell me that the government should take over health care and make it affordable to everyone. You mean the way they made home ownership affordable to all through Fannie and Freddie? How did that work out for you?
        Lots of people seem to have concluded the opposite. The Free market philosophy under its doctrinaire shape (Reagan and Thatcher) has run its course. Pragmatism is the new way of thinking and if Health care is best managed by the state then the next administration won't be intimidated by fuzzy talks of "socialized medicine".

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar View Post
          Shek,

Lots of people seem to have concluded the opposite. The Free market philosophy under its doctrinaire shape (Reagan and Thatcher) has run its course. Pragmatism is the new way of thinking and if Health care is best managed by the state then the next administration won't be intimidated by fuzzy talks of "socialized medicine".
          As evidenced by what? The defeat of the bailout bill

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
            As evidenced by what? The defeat of the bailout bill
            No, I was thinking of the then strongly anti tax executives who are now calling the state for help, with the money of others since they were granted a tax break. But I think the evidence comes with the reckless interventionism of the governement from the beginning of this crisis that didn't let the market correct itself.

Comment

Working...
            X