Interview with Wen Jiabao

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview with Wen Jiabao

Chinese Prime Minister Wen Jiabao Interviewed | Newsweek International Edition | Newsweek.com

very interesting-- can't say i know too many state leaders whom have read the works of adam smith AND marcus aurelius. :)
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

he is a nice guy and gets most people's support in china,especiallly during the earthquake,he was always there day and night working,really touched a lot of people,that's the leader that this nation need,not like former president jiangzemin,so fake and shallow ,nobody likes him.

Comment

Astralis Reply

Thanks. Good and reassuring read. He's clearly well-grounded and appears to have the requisite depth and experience.

Sent me running for Wealth of Nations. Had to make you feel good though...

Just another stoic, eh Astralis?
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

I very much value morality and do believe that entrepreneurs, economists and statesmen alike should pay much more attention to morality and ethics. In my mind, the highest standard to measure ethics and morality is justice. When we think about the economy, we think more about companies, capital, markets, technology, and so on. We might forget about elements like conviction and morality. Only when we combine these two kinds of factors can we [have] a full picture of the DNA of the economy. It is true that in the course of China's economic development, some companies have pursued profits at the expense of morality. We will never allow such things to happen, because such an approach simply cannot be sustained. That's why we advocate corporate, occupational and social ethics.
        Is this a good thing or bad thing? Is it even possible to do that, even in a country like China?
        A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

some companies have pursued profits at the expense of morality.
          that practice is still wide spread in china and angered millions of people,i hope the government and its leaders can really address this issue squarely and not just saying that

Comment

jay,

Is this a good thing or bad thing? Is it even possible to do that, even in a country like China?
            i believe it's just talk. and anybody who pits profits vs morality is in trouble, because usually profits has a winning hand.

what is important to understand is that the best situation is which morality IS profitable. all those sanctions going on in regards to the poisoned milk incident is teaching the chinese that underhanded, corner-cutting deals may be somewhat profitable in the short-run, but will come back and bite you in the long-run.

and part of what makes morality "profitable" is a working enforcement mechanism, itself supervised. china has got the first part sort of down, the second part not at all.
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
            X