• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Games Bolster China’s Great Leap in Tourism

Games Bolster China’s Great Leap in Tourism

By HILARY HOWARD
    Published: September 21, 2008

THE Beijing Olympics, as the most-viewed event in American television history, turned out to be pretty good publicity for Chinese tourism.

“Our customer base now wants to experience what they saw the Olympic athletes experience on television,” said Jerry Pi, president of Pacific Delight Tours. “I’ve seen a jump of about 20 percent for 2008, in terms of deposits for 2009 tours, compared to 2007.”

Architecture buffs are also making a beeline to Beijing to see groundbreaking projects like the Bird’s Nest — the Olympic stadium — and Norman Foster’s Terminal 3 at the Beijing airport. According to Detlev Bruckhoff, general manager of the FAR Agency (a German member of the Guiding Architects Network), the company’s first architecture tour to Shanghai and Beijing in October sold out in three weeks. Another tour is planned for next April (FAR : architekturführungen metropole ruhr).

China, however, has been on the fast track to tourism gold since the mid-90s, according to Geoffrey Lipman, assistant secretary general of the United Nations World Tourism Organization. He met with Chinese officials about 15 years ago, when they first designated about 10 tourism destinations to market heavily. “It was a national strategic priority,” he said.

And it’s worked. The annual Fall Travel Trends Survey, conducted by the Travel Leaders agency of 415 agents and managers in July and August, showed Beijing jumping seven spots to No. 16 in booked trips (Dublin was 15) and Shanghai jumping 13 spots to 20 (tying Florence, Italy) among international destinations. Both Zagat and Mobil released their first travel guides to Beijing this year; Mobil has already sold 15,000 copies in the United States.

According to Mr. Lipman, China ranks fifth in the world in tourism revenue. He said that 55 million people traveled to China last year, and spent a total of $42 billion there. The World Tourism Organization predicts that China will be the globe’s most popular tourism destination by 2015.

On top of spending $43 billion on infrastructure for the Olympics, China is investing in travel amenities like skyscraper hotels (the Park Hyatt Beijing and Park Hyatt Shanghai, for example) and smaller luxury boutique hotels (like the Hotel G in Beijing and the JIA Shanghai).

The Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal, which officially opened this summer, was designed to dock international cruise ships, and Victoria Cruises, which specializes in trips along the Yangtze River, will introduce its eighth ship next April. American Airlines plans to add a nonstop flight between Chicago and Beijing in 2010, and this month, Hainan Airlines will begin four nonstop flights a week between Berlin and Beijing.

Restaurateurs and other entrepreneurs are also courting the tourist dollar. Last month, Elite Concepts, a hospitality group with ventures in Hong Kong, Shanghai and Jakarta, opened 1949 — The Hidden City, a chic dining and entertainment complex in an old Beijing factory.

And China is accomplishing all of this at a breakneck pace.

“I first went to China in 1981, and the airport was just military huts, and there were no cars, just bicycles,” said Mr. Lipman. “Now you have this incredibly vibrant, rapidly industrializing country, with a massive 5,000-year cultural heritage that the world has now had a unique opportunity to preview thanks to the Games.”
    seeing is believing,global tourism is good for china in many ways.

china now is the world's fourth largest host country for international tourists and the largest source market for tourists in the Asia region.the prediction that china will become the biggest international tourist destination is about the right time.

Comment

The most viewed event in American television history? I have my doubts about this one. Keep deluding yourself haidian.Your bound to hit something logical eventually.Fact is,a lot of Americans(sigh, and Canadians) are more interested in important,educational TV like Idol and Survival. It is also reported that the American press may or may not have be "blanketing" the airwaves with election flotsam for almost 2 years. My point,.........jeez,I don,t remember what the hell I was talking about....thanks haidian.:))

Comment

The most viewed event in American television history? I have my doubts about this one.
        that's what the article says,if you dont believe it ,dont complain to me.it is from new york times,check the link

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/tr...tml?ref=travel

Comment

there are some other report on this which has more detailed information,check them out.

Beijing Olympics End With Massive Viewership
          ABC News: Beijing Olympics End With Massive Viewership

NBC giddy at conclusion of successful Olympics
          NBC giddy at conclusion of successful Olympics - USATODAY.com

Comment

Working...
          X