Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Church of Scientology to be dissoved in France

Church of Scientology faces fraud trial in France

Angelique Chrisafis in Paris The Guardian, Tuesday September 9 2008 Article history

A French judge has ordered two branches of the Church of Scientology and seven of its leaders to stand trial for fraud, in the latest of a series of French legal battles against the organisation promoted by celebrities such as Tom Cruise.

Scientology, which offers self-improvement based on the writings of the science-fiction author L Ron Hubbard, is seen as controversial in France's secular republic. Although Scientology is registered as a religion in the US, French authorities treat it as a sect.

The latest case centres on a complaint made in 1998 by a 33-year-old woman who said she was approached by a group of people outside a Paris metro station who offered her a free personality test and a later meeting to interpret the results. Over the following months, she said she paid 140,000 francs (£17,000) to the Scientologists for courses, books, medication, and "purification packs".

Judge Jean-Christophe Hullin ruled that the Scientologists' operational centres in France, its "Celebrity Center" and its bookshop, along with seven church leaders should be tried for "organised fraud" and "illegally practising as pharmacists". He ignored the recommendation of the public prosecutor who had earlier said the case should be shelved.

The Church of Scientology denounced the case as "empty and concocted", and said the woman who filed the complaint had been reimbursed.

In 1995, the first French Church of Scientology association was dissolved for not paying taxes after it was refused special church status. The group claims to have thousands of French members, despite fraud convictions for officials in Lyon in 1997 and Marseille in 1999. In 2003, a Paris court fined the organisation for keeping personal information on its members.
    Die Martian!! Die!!

Finally somebody kicking cultist butt! :))
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
      Finally somebody kicking cultist butt! :))
      I think it's a good decision too.:)

But they will come back, they always do...

Comment

Scientology, which offers self-improvement based on the writings of the science-fiction author L Ron Hubbard, is seen as controversial in France's secular republic. Although Scientology is registered as a religion in the US, French authorities treat it as a sect.
        I treat it as a bunch of crap. Tom Cruise is a loon.

He does, however, play a good Maverick. In fact, better than McCain. Because Tom Cruise is on the highway to the danger zone.
        "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

They always seem to escape in the end don't they?
          Far too many stupid people giving them far too much money.
          I hope at least this time the 'church' gets a good asswhupping.
          For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

There are so many of them all around the world.

This is the same world where people buy anti aging creams, anti balding creams, slim sauna belts, gold, diamond and what not.

Everyone has a weak point, and some know how to exploit it, some are consumed by vanity and people exploit them, some are consumed by spirituality (whats the word) and people exploit them, we can choose to criticize them, however all of us are at the same.

All of us fools deserve to be conned out of our money :)).

Comment

Don't forget the secret Japanese foot things that take the dirt off the bottom of your foot and put it on the sticky 'post-it' note you put on the sole of your foot (did I say dirt? I meant life time of toxins...) anyhow, I'll sell anyone that is interested in this getting this treatment at $50 a pair....

Comment

Working...
              X