Military History major/minor, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military History major/minor, anyone?

I'm just curious, does anyone here have a major or a minor in military history? If so, and I suppose this question is open to anyone who would know, what are career opportunities for those who have one? Are other majors/minors recommended in accompaniment in order to broaden the range of careers? I've been looking into doing so, but it seems like the range of job offerings just isn't very high. Input is appreciated.

Originally posted by ace16807 View Post
    I'm just curious, does anyone here have a major or a minor in military history? If so, and I suppose this question is open to anyone who would know, what are career opportunities for those who have one? Are other majors/minors recommended in accompaniment in order to broaden the range of careers? I've been looking into doing so, but it seems like the range of job offerings just isn't very high. Input is appreciated.
    Ace,
    Military history is a dying field with little opportunities. The end of the Cold War made military history passe within academe, and it's been replaced by social history.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by ace16807 View Post
      Perhaps this will help Ace: Military History Center - Home

Originally posted by Shek View Post
      Ace,
      Military history is a dying field with little opportunities. The end of the Cold War made military history passe within academe, and it's been replaced by social history.
      Major, is this the sign of our times when Military History takes a back seat. Progress I suppose

Comment

Don't give up all hope

Originally posted by Shek View Post
        Ace,
        Brother Shek is correct in that in some areas it is dying but it is still doing well in other areas.

Ohio State has rich program as does UNC

This is the cv of Dr MArk Grimsley who runs several very enjoyable blogs on the Civil War and miltary history. He is currently on a 1 year tour on the faculty of the Army War College. E mail him...he might not get right back to you but he can give you some advice.

OSU Department of History

Having once considered this road myself, you have to look in what do you want to do.

A pure degree in military history is hard to do. You will need to pick an era (My undergrad is 20th Century EUropean and American -WW 1 & 2 and MA is in Civil War).

Do you want to teach? If at the collegiate level you need to have a strong minor in another field. This will make you useful to the overall faculty. Oh, and plan ont he PhD. If at high school level, well you won't be doing much military history there unless you are augmenting the JROTC detachment.

Do you want to be a public historian? For the US Park Service? For a place like Pamplin historical park? You don't need a PhD but plan on getting an MA.

Do you want to study it jsut for fun? Plan on having something else lined up for a job...or go to law school...or like me, be in ROTC and plan on going into the Army on graduation.

But understand one thing.....the only way you'll be rich as one is to win the lottery or marry into money!:))

Enjoy.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
          Major, is this the sign of our times when Military History takes a back seat. Progress I suppose
          Dave,
          It's the progress of the Woodstock generation (at least here in the US) who want to ignore the harsh realities of self-interest and think that it's possible to put folks like us out of a job. While I wish it were so, it's simply not human nature.
          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

I'd add to AR's post - if you do want to go the history route, learn at least one foreign language so you can do the necessary research using primary source materials.

This is thinking out aloud, but an undergraduate degree in international history might be useful if you're thinking about a career in academia - you can use this to figure out the broader picture and what region really interests you, and then springboard to a grad degree in military history, using the background political history and language skills garnered from your BA to allow you to understand the grand strategy and strategy level and use the grad program to hone in on the operational and tactical levels.

Comment

To further add to what Shek says...

Most history programs require a passing fluency in a second language for BA...All at the MA level. And for a PhD a passing familiarity in a third language.

It doesn't have to be speaking...its expected for the reading part.

My language skills got so bad by the time I hit grad school that the Civil War made sense...since I had been stationed in Georgia twice and was from Boston I had English and Southern covered for my 2 languages!

:)):))

If you can not pass a written test you have to take undergrad language classes in addition to your graduate history course load...and the credits do not count towards your graduate requirements. (See my grad school transcripts as an example!)

And the broader subject area undergrad is the way to go...specialization is for graduate school. The exception is if you attend somewhere like Virginia tech or LSU where you can really study the Civil War. You can concentrate on teh CW undergrad but you will be expected to have a secondary area of history as well.
              Mark Twain

Comment

My college (a community college no less) is actually in the process of creating SEVERAL military history classes! It is projected that students will be able to sign up for them starting in the Fall 2009 semester.

There was a whole article about this in one of the military history related magazines that I get; I think it was Armchair General about half a year ago that stated that military history courses are beginning to make a comeback in public/private colleges and universities due to the War on Terrorism but that overall the military history courses are most commonly found at service academies and military schools.

Comment

What is the use of getting any degree in history?

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes View Post
                    What is the use of getting any degree in history?
                    As I said you can work in public history and you can teach.

Also it is a good grounding towards a law degree.

Finally, at least in my respect, as a liberal arts degree I believe it was part of a wider education where I was exposed to a wide variety of ideas. Now, when I got to college I knew I was going to be an Army officer so I was free to study what I wanted not what I had to in order to secure a job after graduation.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

I love history and love to teach ,,, Law and/or history would have been my choice but I was "encouraged" to go to engineering.

As far as Law, one needs to speak/write French and English very well, where I live in order to study to be a lawyer.

but now I am leaning more toward a International Studies, stuff like that :))

Comment

I'm fluent in Mandarin Chinese. I should really put that to good use and get a degree or something. But I'm just waaaaayyyyyy too lazy...:(
                        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                          Also it is a good grounding towards a law degree.
                          AR,

Do you mean that Law universities in the US are more prone to accept students who have already a history degree ?

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                            I'm fluent in Mandarin Chinese. I should really put that to good use and get a degree or something. But I'm just waaaaayyyyyy too lazy...:(
                            How did you come to learn that ??

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes View Post
                              How did you come to learn that ??
                              I grew up speaking Mandarin. It's my native tongue.
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                              X