Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Izvestia: Russia could deploy Tu-95 and Tu-160 in Cuba, Algeria, Venezuela

RIA Novosti

Being denied by on the record sources and another paper thinks its just "sabre-rattling".

Either way, that's a response and a half.

good

Comment

iirc the constitution of Venezuela does not allow the deployment of foreign troops within the own borders and so far charvez has not been able to completly overturn or ignore the constitution.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
        iirc the constitution of Venezuela does not allow the deployment of foreign troops within the own borders and so far charvez has not been able to completly overturn or ignore the constitution.
        They going to be civil aircraft mechanics, not troops. All Tu-160's airmen would be Aeroflot pilots, civil too, of course If you doubt, they could show you the certificates.

Comment

I sincerely doubt Raul is going to allow Russian bombers in Cuba. He is smarter then that and seems content to hold relations with the U.S. and besides with the bases close by Aegis can act very very quickly. As far as Venezuala goes... obviously Fido thinks he needs to warn off Satan.:)) What a ****ing joke.:P
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

This would have been understandable from a symbolic standpoint. But it would be a poor strategic response to the European-based ABM system.

Cuba based bombers would be susceptible to a US nuclear or conventional attack with only minutes and maybe seconds of warning to get off the ground. Not to mention that they would be vulnerable to interception immediately after take off from their bases from systems based in the US or anywhere outside Cuban territorial waters.

I also think the logistical capability of the Russian AF to maintain and supply a handful of Blackjacks and Bears thousands of miles away from their main bases would be prohibitive in both equipment and costs.

The US learned these lessons in the 60's after the Strategic Air Command's Airborne Alert and Overseas Staging programs were ended and SAC nuclear deterrent bomber operations exclusively originated from CONUS bases.

Comment

I wonder how Raul would explain to his country getting attacked because he allowed the Russians to station bombers on the islands. This Cuban missle crisis would be over in minutes not days this time.;)

Comment

Originally posted by MOPO3 View Post
                They going to be civil aircraft mechanics, not troops. All Tu-160's airmen would be Aeroflot pilots, civil too, of course If you doubt, they could show you the certificates.
                They would be driftwood even before they got off the ground and certainly before they got off the island. This isnt the 60's and we definately dont need recon flights before an attack and yes we could certainly cut them off from supplies,shipping etc much easier now then before.

And just how well do you think they would get along with the U.S. Marines Corps in Guantanimo as well as those AEGIS ships constantly lurking the area?

I hope the Soviets have gotten alot better at water rescue because your going to need it.;)

To ease your mind a bit just think if Russia wants the expense and logistics so far away from home/the funding needed and virtually undefended. We could stomp them in no time at all and wipe up the Atlantic with "Fido" and his hosted bombers as well.:))
                Last edited by Dreadnought; 28 Jul 08,, 19:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Equilibrium View Post
                  This would have been understandable from a symbolic standpoint. But it would be a poor strategic response to the European-based ABM system.
                  The European ABM system is also symbolic with regards to Russia's ballistic missile capabilities. Well, at least to me it is. So it's probably a fitting response. Both the European ABM system and this little possible Tu-95 move by Russia are both pretty useless in reality/strategically (with regards to Russia and the US) but you know how these politicians like to do things.

Comment

Besides, I doubt the world is going to go for Soviet bombers on patrol with nukes in the West and the chances of an accident, because at that point whomever is acting President of the U.S. could very easily reinstate the USN surface combatants deployed again with nukes aboard just like Bush Sr had them removed in the 90's.;)
                    Last edited by Dreadnought; 28 Jul 08,, 19:31.

Comment

"Soviet", Dreadnought? Are you doing a Denny Hastert or is that deliberate?

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Hunter View Post
                        "Soviet", Dreadnought? Are you doing a Denny Hastert or is that deliberate?
                        Sorry, The word Soviet just comes easier to me then Russian. My bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                          Sorry, The word Soviet just comes easier to me then Russian. My bust.
                          No problem. I do it myself sometimes, although usually the other way.

Comment

USN reaction- he Bear holds the record of the biggest bomb ever carried by a plane, and the Blackjack is no joke, the only possible defense is more Aegis.

USAF reaction- The Bear holds the record of the biggest bomb ever carried by a plane, and the Blackjack is no joke, the only possible defense is more F-22's

Congresses reaction if McCain wins- lets build more of both

Congresses reaction if Obama wins- we surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                              Congresses reaction if Obama wins- we surrender.
                              I think that pretty much goes without saying.

Another spineless Democrat...but at least Europe loves him.
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                              X