Bubba's Ego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubba's Ego

Bubba needs to get over himself. But maybe he's not able. His personal behavior while he was POTUS was abominable. He's flirting (pardon the pun) with becoming the silliest ex-POTUS and a wrecking ball to the Dems.

Bill Clinton says Barack Obama must 'kiss my ass' for his support
    By Tim Shipman in Washington and Philip Sherwell in New York
    Last updated: 5:02 PM BST 28/06/2008

Bill Clinton is so bitter about Barack Obama's victory over his wife Hillary that he has told friends the Democratic nominee will have to beg for his wholehearted support.

Hillary Clinton has put on a united front with Barack ObamaMr Obama is expected to speak to Mr Clinton for the first time since he won the nomination in the next few days, but campaign insiders say that the former president's future campaign role is a "sticking point" in peace talks with Mrs Clinton's aides.

The Telegraph has learned that the former president's rage is still so great that even loyal allies are shocked by his patronising attitude to Mr Obama, and believe that he risks damaging his own reputation by his intransigence.

A senior Democrat who worked for Mr Clinton has revealed that he recently told friends Mr Obama could "kiss my ass" in return for his support.

A second source said that the former president has kept his distance because he still does not believe Mr Obama can win the election.

Mr Clinton last week issued a tepid statement, through a spokesman, in which he said he "is obviously committed to doing whatever he can and is asked to do to ensure Senator Obama is the next president of the United States ".

Mr Obama was more effusive at his unity event with Mrs Clinton on Friday, speaking fondly of the absent former president, who attended Nelson Mandela's birthday celebrations in London instead. The candidate told the crowd: "I know how much we need both Bill and Hillary Clinton as a party. They have done so much great work. We need them badly."

But his aides said he has so far concentrated on cementing relations with Mrs Clinton first. They say they are content to let relations with Mr Clinton thaw gradually.

It has long been known that Mr Clinton is angry at the way his own reputation was tarnished during the primary battle when several of his comments were interpreted as racist.

But his lingering fury has shocked his friends. The Democrat told the Telegraph: "He's been angry for a while. But everyone thought he would get over it. He hasn't. I've spoken to a couple of people who he's been in contact with and he is mad as hell.

"He's saying he's not going to reach out, that Obama has to come to him. One person told me that Bill said Obama would have to quote kiss my ass close quote, if he wants his support.

"You can't talk like that about Obama - he's the nominee of your party, not some house boy you can order around.

"Hillary's just getting on with it and so should Bill."

Another Democrat said that despite polls showing Mr Obama with a healthy lead over Republican John McCain, Mr Clinton doesn't think he can win.

The party strategist, who was allied to one of the early rivals to Mr Obama and the former First Lady, said Mr Clinton was "very unhopeful" about the nominee's prospects in November.

"Bill Clinton knows the party will unite behind Obama, but he is telling people he doesn't believe Obama can win round voting groups, especially working-class whites, in the swing states," the strategist said.

"He just doesn't think Obama will be able to connect with the voters he needs."

Joe Klein, the author of Primary Colours, a fictionalised account of Mr Clinton's 1992 election, who has known the former president for 20 years, said he also heard that he was "very, very bitter", from people who have spoken with him.

"It's time for him to get over it or go off and do his charitable work. He knows the rules of the road. What's going on now is kind of strange. I think his behaviour is really, really shocking."

So what? I tell my friends lots of things in lots of ways that I wouldn't necessarily tell the press.

-dale

Comment

I know how much we need both Bill and Hillary Clinton as a party. They have done so much great work. We need them badly."

There's something wrong there. Why would he need Bill? To help him with plans to downgrade the military? Why Hillary? What was it Hillary accomplished as a New York Senator again?

Comment

Originally posted by SteaminDemon View Post
        I know how much we need both Bill and Hillary Clinton as a party. They have done so much great work. We need them badly."

There's something wrong there. Why would he need Bill? To help him with plans to downgrade the military? Why Hillary? What was it Hillary accomplished as a New York Senator again?
        The Clintons controlled the Democratic Party for 16 years, and Clinton did have higher approval ratings as president than Reagan.

Comment

Originally posted by Herodotus View Post
          The Clintons controlled the Democratic Party for 16 years, and Clinton did have higher approval ratings as president than Reagan.
          You can't even compare Clinton to Reagan. There is simply no comparison. Reagan did a lot for our Military, while Clinton did a lot to gut it. What has Hillary accomplished?

Comment

You can't even compare Clinton to Reagan. There is simply no comparison. Reagan did a lot for our Military, while Clinton did a lot to gut it. What has Hillary accomplished?
            I'm just saying the Clintons have a lot of backers. Not everyone in America sees things through a conservative prism. Clinton beat two combat veterans in elections so he has some obvious skill as a politician or appeal to a segement of the population, that could help Obama. You asked why Obama needed the Clintons, I think I have answered it.

Comment

I'm just saying the Clintons have a lot of backers. Not everyone in America sees things through a conservative prism. Clinton beat two combat veterans in elections so he has some obvious skill as a politician or appeal to a segement of the population, that could help Obama. You asked why Obama needed the Clintons, I think I have answered it.
              Agreed, the US (especially my generation of the 18 - 30 age group) are increasingly becoming more and more left wing or at least more moderate. I feel alot of it is because the Democrats always seem to have (somewhat) younger candidates who can appeal more to my generation ... lets face it, its kinda hard for me to relate to John McCain

Comment

Because Obama has his own voting block, younger and AA. He's only pulling 42-43% of Hillary's voting block since she suspended her campaign. The polls will tell you he needs her voting block to beat McCain. If Obama doesn't get it, it's his election to lose. I am sure the DNC has informed Obama of this, and the convention is in August. If the 50-state strategy doesn't begin turning around for him, Hillary very possibly could be still up for the nomination in August. Obama has to stop that froming happening, and to do that, he can not turn his back on the Clintons, because if he does, he also turns his back on her voters, which he "needs very badly."

Comment

You are right herodotus. And you have answered the question very well. Thanks. Bill is angry with Obama, maybe Bill will endorse McCain. Although, Bill is a draft dodger, so that won't fly with McCain.

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                  Because Obama has his own voting block, younger and AA. He's only pulling 42-43% of Hillary's voting block since she suspended her campaign. The polls will tell you he needs her voting block to beat McCain. If Obama doesn't get it, it's his election to lose. I am sure the DNC has informed Obama of this, and the convention is in August. If the 50-state strategy doesn't begin turning around for him, Hillary very possibly could be still up for the nomination in August. Obama has to stop that froming happening, and to do that, he can not turn his back on the Clintons, because if he does, he also turns his back on her voters, which he "needs very badly."
                  Thanks Julie, I hope that her voting block goes toward McCain. Is it me, or do you feel that any story about Obama, always seems to be pro Obama. If McCain would have said something about a windfall profits tax on oil companies, it would have been all over the place how ignorant McCain was to say it. Since Obama said it, no one even comments, but they say how much they agree with his policy.

Comment

The windfall profits tax will only be passed on to us the consumer. That was done in the Carter administration. Windfall profits tax is not the answer. Tapping our own resources is the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                      The windfall profits tax will only be passed on to us the consumer. That was done in the Carter administration. Windfall profits tax is not the answer. Tapping our own resources is the answer.
                      And thats presumably done by drilling in offshore continental shelfs to dramatically reduce the cost of oil?

News flash, it's not going to happen. It's been repeatedly stated by oil producing countries that it's not going to happen. Yet, for some reason we're going to believe this? It's not going to help. Much like the MASSIVE increases in output and increased production worldwide by MANY different sources, from MANY different political ilk's hasn't done squat to tame oil prices. and raise MANY false hopes in MANY countries where that extra production comes from that such would happen.

A lot of people are going to be VERY disappointed if they believe that mantra.
                      Ego Numquam

Comment

Showing a willingness to drill our own resources will show we're serious and combined with some interest rate increases should help stop the use of oil as a "go to" commodity for safety. That should help drop the price a bit.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                          Showing a willingness to drill our own resources will show we're serious and combined with some interest rate increases should help stop the use of oil as a "go to" commodity for safety. That should help drop the price a bit.

-dale
                          The price of oil is tied to the dollar; has been since 1973 when the US removed the dollar from the gold standard, and OPEC followed. The dollar is weak now because of a huge trade imbalance with China (among other things). China buys up a lot of US debt and keeps the value of the dollar low. That, combined with increased demand from all over the world means speculators are driving the price of oil per barrel up. In order to reduce oil costs we can either increase value of our dollar by decreasing trade imbalances and deficits, eliminate the speculation in the market, decrease our demand or increase the market supply.

The first two options are not really feasible, the third one, people are slowly coming around to. As for the fourth option, drilling offshore, converting kerogen, etc. may provide some limited relief when that oil actually hits the market (5-10 years maybe). Until then unless something dramatically changes in regards to any of these options, high gas prices are here to stay. Maybe a year from now Americans will be wishing for 4 dollars a gallon gas.

Comment

Because Obama has his own voting block, younger and AA.
                            What is AA? I could hazard a guess but I wouldn't want to disparage any teetotaler Obama supporters. :))

Comment

The price of oil is tied to the dollar; has been since 1973 when the US removed the dollar from the gold standard, and OPEC followed. The dollar is weak now because of a huge trade imbalance with China (among other things). China buys up a lot of US debt and keeps the value of the dollar low. That, combined with increased demand from all over the world means speculators are driving the price of oil per barrel up. In order to reduce oil costs we can either increase value of our dollar by decreasing trade imbalances and deficits, eliminate the speculation in the market, decrease our demand or increase the market supply.

The first two options are not really feasible, the third one, people are slowly coming around to. As for the fourth option, drilling offshore, converting kerogen, etc. may provide some limited relief when that oil actually hits the market (5-10 years maybe). Until then unless something dramatically changes in regards to any of these options, high gas prices are here to stay. Maybe a year from now Americans will be wishing for 4 dollars a gallon gas.
                              Why blame the Chinese when our own monetary policies can shoulder the burden?

-dale

Comment

Working...
                              X