Best 7.62mm NATO GPMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 7.62mm NATO GPMG

The most capable GPMG in 7.62 x 51mm caliber is...

Well really this would come down to the FN-MAG/L-7/M-240/C-6/Type-74, SS-77, SIG-710 and the MG-3.

The M-60 is more or less gone from US service and most users got that to the fact America more or less gave them away. The M-60s flaws or more or less known since the war in Vietnam. Even the USA has bought the FN-MAG and called it the M-240B/G. The M-240G is simply an FN-MAG while the M-240B adds a fancy heat shield (along with extra weight).

The AA-52 is admited by even the French to not be a good gun. It's funny to look at pictures of the Algerian War and watch French paratroopers stacking up captured MG-42s while relying on less capable AA-52s. I mean hell when you think about it France has an excellent hevay machine gun (M-2HB) and light machine gun (FN-Minimi Para) but no decent GPMG.

The Swiss SIG-710 is regarded as an excellent GPMG but was to expensive and only exported two 3 nations and ad that only in small numbers.

The SS-77 is a new South African GPMG in both 7.62mm and 5.56mm.

Germany also has the HK-21 which is a G-3 modified to be a light GPMG.

THE FN-MAG and MG-3 are two of the most common and popular general purpose machine guns in the world in 7.62mm NATO caliber. Well the M-60 went to more nations then the MG-3 but I think few would say it was a better combat weapon.

Philippine Marine with an M-60E3
    Pakistani paramilitary with an MG-3
    Gurkha soldier with an FN-MAG
    French Marine with an AA-52
    Philippine soldier with an M-240B (FN-MAG)
    Attached Files
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

The M-60 was a piece of crap, but it was actually functional.

Everyone seems to like the M-240 in Iraq, so i guess it's good to go. The SAW is pretty good too, but the plastic mags blow. I hear the cloth mags are a lot better.

Comment

i was surprised to see lots of FN MAG's in american service in iraq and lots of FN Minimi's (SAW) in british hands, i know the british army bought 800 minimi's, but was there a direct swap as well?

the FN MAG is a brilliant weapon, though a little heavy, but its reliability and weight of fire more than make up for that (unless you're the poor bugger carrying the bloody thing!)
      before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

"i was surprised to see lots of FN MAG's in american service in iraq and lots of FN Minimi's (SAW) in british hands, i know the british army bought 800 minimi's, but was there a direct swap as well?"

Actually not. The USA builts the FN-MAG under license as the M-240B/M-240G. The M-240B as shown in the picture as a several pound heat shield covering the barrel. The UK's Para-Minimis don't have the same heat shield as used on the American M-249 Para model. I think Britain did what France did and went directly to FN for the Para-Minimis.

"The M-60 was a piece of crap, but it was actually functional."

Yeah thats true. I have heard many bad things about it and many good. Makes me wonder why we just didn't go for the FN-MAG sooner. The M-60 was bought over the FN-MAG is my memory holds true back in the 1950s.

We did try and make a 30 caliber MG-42 but the tests failed because of screwing up the recoil mech. They didn't think about it very hard or put much work into it. But it could have worked with a few mods and we could have had a 30 cal MG-42 in Korea for example.

"Everyone seems to like the M-240 in Iraq, so i guess it's good to go. The SAW is pretty good too, but the plastic mags blow. I hear the cloth mags are a lot better."

I have also heard the same for the most part. The plastic mags are big in a lot of nations. The Indonesians build it and still use plastic with the weapons. A lot of NATO nations also still use plastic rather then cloth. I heard the 200 round cloth blows big time and suffers from snags with the belt. Of course the M-249 had been faulted in some circles/AARs for reliablity issues...

Anyone got thoughts on the MG-3/MG-42...

----
        British Para with the L-110A1 (FN-Minimi-Para) in Afghanistan (for Dave)
        Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan manning a C-6 (FN-MAG)
        Philippine Marines before deployment south with thier M-60/M-60E3s
        Taiwanese soldiers with the Type-74 (FN-MAG) with its M-60 systle bipod
        AUC guerilla with his M-60 machine gun
        Attached Files
        To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

The MAG 58 and the MG3

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

So what do the members here think of the MG-3 family?

It was one of the first GPMGs and is still widely in service.

Pakistani troops rocking the MG-3...
            Attached Files

Comment

Does the MG3 have a sight to register targets as the MAG58 (see sight of the MAG58 in pic posted by me)?

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Yeah for sustained fire roles.

Comment

Originally posted by troung
                  Nice hole, gentlemen. Now fill it back up and move the MG over there.
                  Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 31 Jan 05,, 20:51.

Comment

Originally posted by troung
                    1st pic: They seem to be digging a trench for using the MG in air defence role.
                    2nd pic: They are supposedly aiming at an Indian post on the LOC, these pics are from PDF.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

The first is from Corbis and was taken during the Kargil when India shot down the PN Atlantic.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers
                        Nice hole, gentlemen. Now fill it back up and move the MG over there.

Colonel,
                        I just read that post whilst sitting at my desk at work, and promptly cracked up laughing. Thank you very much!!
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Done that a few times myself. Hope you didn't disturb anyone.

Comment

"Nice hole, gentlemen. Now fill it back up and move the MG over there." said Colonel Yu.

"Roger that sir, consider it done", replied the Corporal with a bemused smile.

Spinning on his heel, the smile is replaced with a menacing grimace. The Corporal then gestures to a group of privates and barks out, "Off your asses you lazy dogs, YOU got a hole to dig!".

Hehehehe...

Comment

Why do I get the feeling that you're just waiting for a green, wet behind the ears LT to make a stupid mistake like digging a MG nest in the wrong spot?

Comment

Working...
                              X