Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xenophobia outbreak in South Africa

Thought Leader » Michael Trapido » Xenophobia? I see a bad moon rising

Seems to be an outbreak of Xenophobia in South Africa. Not the normal run you get in the ordinary course. This is unprecedented and dominates all our major newspapers and media forums.

I think it is a tricky situation.

I am not too aware of the South African situation in detail, but this is my take for all its worth.

As it is there is poverty, and the refugee problem must be affecting the lives of the poor, who normally are the strata of society which are the aggressive ones for good reasons.

I believe that the South African govt has many poverty alleviation programmes and that surely would be affected by the burden of the refugee situation.

I wonder if the euphoria of the post apartheid has waned, where people are not so keen to sacrifice for the esoteric realm.

Traps, are you Michael Trapido the author of the article?

Could you give the reasons in a little more detailed manner, even if you are not the author of the article, as to what are reasons that is giving rise to this Xenophobia?
    Last edited by Ray; 15 May 08,, 04:09.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I read at the weekend of the attacks on "work seekers" from other African Countries. Thousands being attacked and uprooted and told to leave in no uncertain terms. There were reports of killings and violence. Apart from the odd report, there is very little coming out of SA and shown on the UK news. There is more shown on football violence than Global violence At least we have Mike to keep us up to speed on what is really going on.:)

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
        Traps, are you Michael Trapido the author of the article?
        The one and only:))

Comment

Guys I went into Alexandra today to meet with residents - little bit hairy but not too bad.

The problem is linked to local anger at lack of housing and jobs with concerns about crime thrown in.

Days are okay - At night the locals go looking for foreigners - not pretty.

Went to one police station to meet Zimbabwean refugees.

They say they want to go home - just waiting for Bob to duck.

Comment

Originally posted by Traps View Post
            Guys I went into Alexandra today to meet with residents - little bit hairy but not too bad.

The problem is linked to local anger at lack of housing and jobs with concerns about crime thrown in.

Days are okay - At night the locals go looking for foreigners - not pretty.

Went to one police station to meet Zimbabwean refugees.

They say they want to go home - just waiting for Bob to duck.
            That could be some time with Uncle Wheeler Dealer Bob.

Comment

Dave as you'll see in my article as soon as the editors post it the Zimmies all support Tsvangirai - Bob is truly hated by his people.

Comment

As I said I went into the hotspot Alexandra and spoke to the residents from both sides. People are too quick to put labels on things and too slow to find out why violence happens. This is the reason according to the 2 sides :

Thought Leader » Michael Trapido » Xenophobia – Alexandra, a tale of two in one city

Comment

3rd article in this set :

Thought Leader » Michael Trapido » Xenophobia: Residents of Alexandra owed an apology

Comment

And the plot thickens:

REUTERS - 17.05.2008 13:41
                    Party says Tsvangirai delays return over plot

© REUTERS2008
                    By Nelson Banya

HARARE (Reuters) - Zimbabwean opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai on Saturday postponed his expected return home to contest an election run-off after his party said it had discovered an assassination plot against him.

Movement for Democratic Change leader Tsvangirai has been out of Zimbabwe for more than a month and had been due to return from Europe on Saturday to campaign for the June 27 second round ballot against President Robert Mugabe.

"We have received information from a credible source concerning a planned assassination attempt against President Tsvangirai. We are not in a position to say whether this threat concerns the actions of the state or a non-state actor," spokesman George Sibotshiwe told Reuters.

Comment

Thought Leader » Michael Trapido » Civil war? Call out the army? Pass the spliff

Comment

The violence was shown on TV last night It reminded me of the violence and Police action when Apartheid was at it's worse. They showed the Police in open top armoured vehicles blasting away with shotguns and baton rounds flying all over the place. There was an interview with a group of kids who openly admitted that they would kill any "foreign worker" they come across.
                        Not good times at the moment in SA

Violence against foreigners in South Africa has spread outside Johannesburg to the port city of Durban.

Police say a group armed with stones and bottles had threatened Nigerians and damaged their property overnight.

It prompted about 700 African migrants to seek refuge in a nearby church while in Cape Town a safety forum has been set up to try to prevent violence.

In Johannesburg, where the attacks began a week ago, police fired rubber bullets to disperse mobs in one area.

At least 23 people have been killed, and ministers have been discussing using troops to quell the violence.
                        Last edited by dave lukins; 21 May 08,, 11:02.

Comment

Dave I've tried to put forward a solution to the problem of Xenophobia and crime :

Thought Leader » Michael Trapido » A genuine plan of action

Comment

Working...
                          X