Angry China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angry China

“Angry China” is the cover story of the current (May 3rd) issue of The Economist, arguably the most respected international news magazine. The article provides very thoughtful analysis to support the highlighted opinion: The recent glimpses of a snarling China should scare the country's government as much as the world. And here is the reason:
    “But the appeal to nationalism is a double-edged sword: while it provides a useful outlet for domestic discontents, it could easily turn on the government itself.”

China | Angry China | Economist.com

Senior Chinese government officials probably already sense the danger raised by this article. I hope they carefully consider their options before it is too late. There is no question that the rage of Chinese is genuine. Yet, there is no suitable “punishment” in sight for Chinese to vent the anger. Boycott to Carrefour will not be satisfying. CNN did not really apologize. Yielding to international pressure, Chinese officials are meeting with Dalai Lama’s representatives. How do the mass Chinese feel? Hence the danger: “Popular anger, once roused, can easily switch targets.” Ironically, Tiananmen Square incident had a similar flavor: strong popular anger, no action could calm the crowd, and switched targets. The outcome was very sad.

The CCP government is in an impossible position. They have to maintain order in order to host the Olympic. Yet, they don’t have good outlets to calm the crowd. As additional conflicts are surely to come during Olympic events, they will find themselves backed into a corner, having little room to maneuver. This is also a good opportunity for different factions within CCP to struggle for power!

In my opinion, appealing to nationalism was a big mistake. Rousing the popular anger without any clue how to calm them down was a bigger mistake. Anger is a negative human emotion which can’t be satisfied until something is destructed. I can only hope that Chinese are not the ones suffering the destruction. Next time, how about rousing the positive emotion of hope to build up a democratic society!

As I wrote earlier in a post - don't underestimate the USA!

One down, other will follow - bloodless and with no blame!!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
      As I wrote earlier in a post - don't underestimate the USA!

One down, other will follow - bloodless and with no blame!!
      I have to admit I have no clue what you were talking about. Some hints, please?

Comment

Originally posted by UnderSpin View Post
        I have to admit I have no clue what you were talking about. Some hints, please?
        USSR & China

Comment

That is right.

I had written earlier that, (I am putting it simplistically here) the USA will ensure that capitalism takes grip over China and encourage crass consumerism so that it changes the mindset. The people, who were earlier denied the 'bounties' of life would suddenly lose their balance and become greedy with all its attendant vices. The Party apparatchiks because they have the control will be the first ones to manipulate the system and get rich quick, which would lead to discontent amongst the common man and the Party will be discredited. The rural and urban divide would be immense. Turmoil shall follow.

The Communist Party would lose its control over the people since the people would have psychologically changed and the end of Communism would be heralded!

It is all a Mind Game - control of the Mind!!

I had read something on these lines written by a British chap years ago when I was in school of how to control the mind, corrupt the youth and change the system!
          Last edited by Ray; 05 May 08,, 07:40.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Assuming, the PRC succeeds to pull up till that time.
            sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

popular nationalist anger = repeat of the french revolution in a chinese version

Comment

I had written earlier that, (I am putting it simplistically here) the USA will ensure that capitalism takes grip over China and encourage crass consumerism so that it changes the mindset. The people, who were earlier denied the 'bounties' of life would suddenly lose their balance and become greedy with all its attendant vices. The Party apparatchiks because they have the control will be the first ones to manipulate the system and get rich quick, which would lead to discontent amongst the common man and the Party will be discredited. The rural and urban divide would be immense. Turmoil shall follow.

The Communist Party would lose its control over the people since the people would have psychologically changed and the end of Communism would be heralded!

I had read something on these lines written by a British chap years ago when I was in school of how to control the mind, corrupt the youth and change the system!
                I agree with some of your statements, but I’ll give USA much less “credits” for that.

Materialism and consumerism are all human nature. We want those 'bounties' of life because we feel good having them. The party establishment will want to manipulate the system to get rich quickly, and get corrupted by power in the process. This is just human nature, with no need for USA’s help.

The idea that USA wants to control the mind, corrupt the youth and change the system sounds like a science fiction to me. The youth in USA may be more corrupted by materialism than in other countries. School age boys in USA spend so much time on video games that their minds are literally controlled by those stupid games. I certainly do not see USA wants their children to be addicted to these material possessions. And who is USA anyway? The politician, the business people, or the citizen? They are all occupied with their own interests, and their interests hardly align.

IMHO, the problem in China has much more to do with incompetent bureaucrats who mindlessly follow instructions from above, promote their self interests, don’t care, miscalculate, or are just stupid.

Comment

I agree with some of your statements, but I’ll give USA much less “credits” for that.

Materialism and consumerism are all human nature. We want those 'bounties' of life because we feel good having them. The party establishment will want to manipulate the system to get rich quickly, and get corrupted by power in the process. This is just human nature, with no need for USA’s help.

The idea that USA wants to control the mind, corrupt the youth and change the system sounds like a science fiction to me. The youth in USA may be more corrupted by materialism than in other countries. School age boys in USA spend so much time on video games that their minds are literally controlled by those stupid games. I certainly do not see USA wants their children to be addicted to these material possessions. And who is USA anyway? The politician, the business people, or the citizen? They are all occupied with their own interests, and their interests hardly align.

IMHO, the problem in China has much more to do with incompetent bureaucrats who mindlessly follow instructions from above, promote their self interests, don’t care, miscalculate, or are just stupid.
                  I agree with you. We don't actively control the minds of the younger generation. We are not capable of doing so. However, we have a system that can deal with the materialism and the quick changing minds of the youths...most of the times. The hippy movement of the 1960s was when the west lost the control over the youths and the society changed fundamentally.

China doesn't have a good control over materialism yet. It's entirely new to the communist regime. The party bosses are the first to benefit and as a result the system is corrupt. They deal with this issue by encouraging nationalism. And of course nationalism can easily turn on its master.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

what must be understood is the ''control of the mind".

If one feels that it has to be a open highly publicised campaign, then that is the first fallacy. It has to be unobtrusive!

I have here an Australian poster who says he would give $50 and a pat on the back if his son screwed his woman teacher! Would it have been accepted earlier?

Indeed, if sex become commonplace and nothing extraordinary, so will rape!

Back to the days of Sodom and Gomorrah !

Make society licentious and you can control it!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                      I agree with you. We don't actively control the minds of the younger generation. We are not capable of doing so. However, we have a system that can deal with the materialism and the quick changing minds of the youths...most of the times. The hippy movement of the 1960s was when the west lost the control over the youths and the society changed fundamentally.

China doesn't have a good control over materialism yet. It's entirely new to the communist regime. The party bosses are the first to benefit and as a result the system is corrupt. They deal with this issue by encouraging nationalism. And of course nationalism can easily turn on its master.
                      The epiphanies provided by mood altering drugs such as LSD, opiates and good marijuana are astonishing to the unprepared mind. Combine those moments in time with a bit of propaganda stating your inherited culture is wrong, something most adolescents are prone to anyway, and you have many converts for life.
                      The west wont recover from the 'hippie' revolution till they're dead, and even then you've got their kids.
                      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

That is right.

The end of Communist rule in China has long been accomplished. Every body dreams about the "American Dream". Congratulations, USA!

CCP is nothing but yet another authority of a largely capitalized country, who tries desperately to maintain its rule for the $$. Even their communist skins are full of "Chinese (American?) character" nowadays.

Nationalism turn on the government itself? As long as I can see from the Chinese forums, not necessarily. Previously intensely debated domestic issues has been overwhelmed by anti-west posts. I have never seen CCP gained so much one-sided support in recent years.

Fooled by CCP press censor? Could be. But the burst of Nationalism coupled with a ruling authority at its prime should definitely scare the world more.
                        天下兴亡,匹夫有责

Comment

I totally agree with you.

But to speed up the process, you require a catalyst. USA is providing it.

Is the USA mad to run up such a huge deficit in balance of trade?

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I totally agree with you.

But to speed up the process, you require a catalyst. USA us providing it.

Is the USA mad to run up such a huge deficit in balance of trade?
                            Last edited by Ray; 05 May 08,, 21:11.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I don't think democracy will come as long as in my productive age. And the catalyst from USA is the last thing i want. See what happen in these days. Actually the West countries are pushing the people to the government.
                              Last edited by xunil; 05 May 08,, 21:27.

Comment

Working...
                              X