Common Calibers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Calibers

Why is it that 75mm, 76.2mm, 105mm and 107mm guns so prevalent? I understand that Rhinemetal 37mm was a popular gun that was copied many times over, but what accounted for the rest?
    All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
    -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Why is it that 75mm, 76.2mm, 105mm and 107mm guns so prevalent? I understand that Rhinemetal 37mm was a popular gun that was copied many times over, but what accounted for the rest?
    75mm, 105mm, 155mm, 203mm artillery and 60mm, 81mm, 120mm mortars were all calibers used by the French and were picked up by other countries - such as America .

I read once that the German M-96 77mm was adopted because it was easier for them to bore out a captured gun to use 77mm ammunition then it was to modifiy a 77mm field gun to fire 75mm or 76mm ammunition.
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

The French 75 was one of the greatest piece of field artillery ever devised. Everyone had those.

76.2mm is actually 3". Americans liked things in inches (still do). So a huge number of naval guns were manufactured in 3" and I believe some of them might have been adapted for land use.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by troung View Post
        75mm, 105mm, 155mm, 203mm artillery and 60mm, 81mm, 120mm mortars were all calibers used by the French and were picked up by other countries - such as America
        The origins of the 203mm (8-inch) howitzer are British. During WW1, the US Army adopted the Vickers Mark-VI 8-inch howitzer, and redesignated Model 1917.

Comment

My mistake - had been thinking about the 240mm artillery and how orginally the Army ordered a French model in 1918 which IIRC didn't enter service but the 240mm caliber did during WW2 on an American design.
          To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            The French 75 was one of the greatest piece of field artillery ever devised. Everyone had those.

76.2mm is actually 3". Americans liked things in inches (still do). So a huge number of naval guns were manufactured in 3" and I believe some of them might have been adapted for land use.
            The old Ft. Sill library bookplate showed a crew of doughboys (wearing campaign hats and leggings) working a French 75mm.

Comment

What about the 76.2-mm/3-in. guns? The Russians have a whole family of those guns, some of which designed in the thirties or even earlier. What is its origince? Th Americal naval piece?
              All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
              -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Working...
              X