Warship photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warship photos

Rusty inspired me. I am starting this thread for guys or gals to post pictures of the battleships (or other types if you really want but this is a Battleship Forum lol) that they have visited or served on. I personally have photos from some of the BB's I have toured which include USS Massachussetts, USS Alabama, USS New Jersey, USS North Carolina. I am going to throw in USS Olympia in there too. I think it is an important and underappreciated ship. I am on my laptop at the moment but I hope when i am home this weekend i can post my pics for you all. But in the meantime, i'd love to see yours.
    Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Four of the greatest Battleships ever built. The Iowa's captured all at once.
    Attached Files
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Here we go guys, as promised, some of my BB pics.

This is all im going to post for now guys. Let me know if you want morel.

Comment

Almost forgot to mention, coming soon!!!!!! I have at least a dozen original photographs of dreadnaughts and predreadnaughts of the Atlantic fleet from around 1911. I am going to scan them in and let you guys have a peek, I figure that you old salts would love it.

Comment

Some BB pics..

These are a few of my favorite BB's. USS Texas - the last of the dreadnoughts. She is a testament to US design - having proudly served in two world Wars.

I also enjoy the RN's King George V class, with their quadruple turrets - forward and aft. I always wondered why the British did not design her with 15 or 16in guns, like the Rodney or Nelson. Was this do to treaty stipulations during KG's development?

Comment

As promised some 'OLD SCHOOL' battlewagons.

USS Virginia

United States Dreadnaught, USS Florida

Comment

Last edited by maximusslade; 28 Apr 08,, 07:19. Reason: reposted picture twice

Comment

Hey Rusty, do you recognize anyone here??

Comment

EEEWWW. That's a tight squeeze. USS Ranger (CV-61) in Dry Dock 1 of the Long Beach Naval Shipyard.

Sorry. I didn't think it would come out so big.
                  Attached Files
                  Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                    EEEWWW. That's a tight squeeze. USS Ranger (CV-61) in Dry Dock 1 of the Long Beach Naval Shipyard.

Sorry. I didn't think it would come out so big.
                    I don't suppose you could tame the contrast on that over exposed shot...

At that time I was on graveyard and in the morning I'd come up a bit early and join my machinist friends on the 2nd floor East patio of bldg 132 and look directly at the island of the Ranger while drinking coffee. I was probably working on pier 6 on one of those Iowa class thingies and had to walk back to the shop like I did every day from out there.
                    Last edited by Ytlas; 29 Apr 08,, 20:29.

Comment

Hey Rusty, just like to tell you that the photograph of the Ranger means a lot to me. My late grandfather was a plankowner of the Ranger and he passed this past fall. He so loved his Ranger that every dog he had since he left the navy was named Ranger (that is 50 years worth of dog).

Comment

Originally posted by RAL's_pal? View Post
                        I don't suppose you could tame the contrast on that over exposed shot....
                        I tried that and even reduced its size. But it still came out huge on a test posting. So I'll just leave it as it is for now.

Comment

Originally posted by maximusslade View Post
                          Hey Rusty, just like to tell you that the photograph of the Ranger means a lot to me. My late grandfather was a plankowner of the Ranger and he passed this past fall. He so loved his Ranger that every dog he had since he left the navy was named Ranger (that is 50 years worth of dog).
                          Our last shipyard commander, Captain Pickering, was the MPA on the Ranger and he said he liked that ship better than any other Carrier he served on. He said at least the cooks were good. One one Carrier he spent most of a 6 month cruise eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as the cooks were so bad.

Here's a shot I like of the Ranger in 1992:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ok, I got more....

Comment

maximusslade:

You have some good shots of the mothballed ships up in Bremerton. The one of the Independence (CV-62) is pretty good. But it looks like you were right next to the Ranger (CV 61) when you took them.

I would like to have any and all shots you took of the Ranger. I have a special feeling for that ship that's a little too detailed to go into right now (such as some of the things I designed for her).

Let me know if you are willing to share and I will send you (one of) my email addresses for uploading.

Comment

Working...
                              X