Of Cross-country Trips, Guns, Liquor, and Trains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of Cross-country Trips, Guns, Liquor, and Trains

At 7am EST Tuesday morning I left West Grove, PA.

After much driving I arrived at my driveway in Columbia Heights, MN at 1am CST Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

So my long-planned expedition to fly to Massachusetts, see my mom, pick up my dad's car and load it with various inherited stuff and things, is now complete. Among the various things I now own are the following:

1) Assorted bottles of booze from back when we lived in Tennessee. We moved in, like, 1974. So I have sealed bottles of Jack Daniels and Drambuie that I know are at least, what, 33 years old?

Can this stuff go bad? I figure the JD can't change much for better or worse in a sealed bottle no matter what the age, but is the Drambuie just poisonous syrup by now? Interesting fact - the JD is 90 proof, not 80 as are the bottles I buy nowadays.

2) A couple of firearms: a Marlin .30-30 lever action (bought for boar back in 1970 or so, and in good condition) and a little .32 revolver my dad got in a hardware store in Alabama just before I was born in 1966. Prowler in the neighborhood. It still has the original box and the price was $29.95. It's an Omega imported by S&W. I don't think it's ever been fired and the firing pin fell out years ago (have the pin, but not the little post that pins it into the frame).

Anybody ever heard of Omega for guns? I did a quick (i.e. lazy) Google search and came up with nada.

General applause to me for rescuing guns from the police state of Massachusetts, if nothing else.

3) A box containing my dad's old Lionel train set. The engine's busted (I dropped it in about 1972, yay me!) but I think everything else works. Anybody know anything about old Lionel trains?

There were some old LPs of Italian opera (from my grandfather) and the like as well, but I figured the old wop community (which is quite sizeable in Worcester, MA) could use them more than I so I left those for my mom to give away at her church.

Nice to be back with the WAB after a couple of days' hiatus. ;)

-dale

dalem Reply

Glad to have you back. The liquor your dad's?

It'll be real fine and you're gonna enjoy it like no other.:)
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Nice to have you back, and the drink is good to go. Light up a cigar and enjoy
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
      X