Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US gives Iran nuclear caution

US gives Iran nuclear caution

The US State Department has warned Iran that failure to co-operate with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) would constitute further proof of a secret nuclear weapons programme.
    The warning follows the adoption of a new resolution at the IAEA giving Iran until 31 October to prove that it is not pursuing such a programme.

The move triggered a walk-out by Iranian diplomats of the IAEA meeting in protest - and a threat that Tehran would conduct a "deep review" of its relations with the nuclear watchdog.

Friday's resolution does not outline consequences of Iranian non-compliance, but leaves open the possibility of UN Security Council involvement.

A spokesman for the state department said: "If Iran fails to take those steps by the deadline, that would constitute further evidence of its ongoing efforts to conceal its clandestine activities.

"Unless Iran immediately reverses course, [the IAEA would be obliged] to report Iran's non-compliance to the UN Security Council," Adam Ereli said.

IAEA Director General Mohamed ElBaradei said the agency would adopt "a very vigorous approach to complete our work and we will make sure we get all the information we need".

Iran has some serious decisions to take and time is running out, says the BBC's Tehran correspondent Jim Muir.

It can suspend co-operation with the IAEA and adopt a stance similar to North Korea's - as some hardliners advocate - or open up fully to the inspectors, to prove it is not building nuclear weapons, our correspondent says.

Weapons fears

The United States has accused Iran of covertly developing nuclear weapons under the guise of a nuclear energy programme.

But Iran says it is only seeking to produce low-grade uranium fuel to meet its energy needs.

The 35-nation governing board of the IAEA has been meeting all week, examining a report by IAEA inspectors, which says traces of weapons-grade uranium were found at an Iranian nuclear plant.

Friday's resolution calls on Iran to halt all further uranium enrichment activities.

Iran's ambassador to the IAEA, Ali Akbar Salehi, said Tehran would not accept any deadlines.

"You can't impose deadlines on a sovereign country," he said.

He accused the US of having territorial ambitions on the region.

"It is no secret that the current US administration, or at least its influential circle, entertains the idea of invasion of yet another territory, as they aim to re-engineer and re-shape the entire Middle East region."

The IAEA will decide the next step if it finds Iran has not co-operated when it meets again in November.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3102586.stm
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

NOW can we attack the reactor?
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

We should let Israel do it, and we should provide refeuling if they need that to get back.

Comment

Nope, Israel would do that by themselves and screw soveriegn airspace, Whst the US needs to do is not condemn them for bombing it like they did in '81.

Speaking of which:

www.F-16.net description of IAF attack on Osirak

Perhaps the most famous operation conducted with F-16 fighters was the "Operation Opera", or as it is known to the world - "The raid on the Iraqi nuclear reactor". Note that Opera is most often referred to as Ofra, but this is incorrect.
        By the end of the seventies, Iraq purchased an "Osiris" class nuclear reactor from France. Israel's intelligence assumed this was a step taken by Iraq to produce Plutonium for an atomic bomb.

According to Israeli intelligence, the summer of 1981 would be the last chance to operate against the reactor, without putting the population of Iraq in danger of nuclear fallout, since at this stage the reactor wasn't operational and not loaded with it's nuclear fuel.

From Lieutenant-Colonel's Ze'ev Raz - (squadron's leader and leader of the attack) briefing :

The route:"We are about to fly a course over Eilat and Aquaba, and then south of Jordan along Saudi-Arabia's border. This route is planned to avoid Arab villages and cities where we might be discovered, so we will fly over desert area until Baghdad. This is not the shortest path to fly, but it would avoid radar detection, so we will remain undetected just until we get over target. On the way to the target we will fly at an altitude of 150 ft. On our way back we will fly at high altitude. We are short on fuel ! Those who get engaged in dogfights won't make it back !"

The bombing technic : "About 20 km east to the reactor we will ignite the afterburner to full power and start a climb. At the peak we will roll over, identify the target and dive at the speed of 600 knots at 35 degrees. Release the bombs at an altitude of 3500 feet, aiming at the base of the structure, and release flares to avoid hits by ground fire. All pilots will drop their bombs in intervals of 5 seconds - You will drop 16 bombs in total, but a hit of 8 bombs could do the job !"

The weapons : "You will be armed with two 1000 kg "iron" bombs, equipped with delay fuses, to ensure explosion deep in the reactors core to maximize the damage."

Target defense : "The reactor has its own air defense system, combined of AAA guns and missiles. Target is surrounded by high earth ramparts."
        Colonel R. - (Number 4 of the first formation) describes the flight:
        "We fly deep within Iraq, It is all desert around us while we pass another marking point on our route. I try to concentrate on flying my F-16, but from time to time I think about the target we are about to attack, and the responsibility we've got. It's the first time in my life that I really feel responsible for the destiny of a whole nation. The view changes - a blue river in the middle of the desert. We have been here 2500 years ago... I see buildings and a deserted airfield. Somebody calls over the radio : "Watch out for AAA fire !" and the sky gets filled with flashes of exploding rounds. I light the afterburner and pull up. Just in front of my eyes I see the earth ramparts and behind it - you can't miss - the silver dome of the reactor...

"Eshkol 8" sounds the radio, "Everybody Charlie!" - Charlie was the code name meaning all pilots have dropped their bombs.

It was amazing - I managed to see how the bombs of the pilots in front of me hit the target and the dome collapsed into the structure ! The hits were excellent, and now we fly at high altitude back to our base. I hope they didn't start a chase, to run us out of fuel...

We cross the Arava and we are back in Israel. The IAF commander calls on the radio, and says: "All you have to do now is land"...
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Besides the terrorists, who wants Iran to have a nuke?

Comment

The problem with Israel nuking is it that they would have to get the consent of the United States, there's no way to get around it.

Israeli jets may have been able to get through Jordanian and Iraqi air defense in 1981, but there's no way could get through Iraq without the US knowing.

If Israel didn't inform the US of its intentions, the Israeli planes may very well get shot down before they got to their target. If they did manage to bomb the reactor, everybody would know the US knew and approved of it.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Israel won't nuke it they will just bomb it. I don't see why we wouldn't allow it.

We could make up some bogus story like the radars were under repair because we did not see an air threat at the time, or some BS.

Or we could openly support it:D
              Last edited by Praxus; 14 Sep 03,, 01:05.

Comment

For once I think Israel would enjoy doing some dirty work for the US

Comment

Originally posted by ironman420
                  The problem with Israel nuking is it that they would have to get the consent of the United States, there's no way to get around it.

Israeli jets may have been able to get through Jordanian and Iraqi air defense in 1981, but there's no way could get through Iraq without the US knowing.

If Israel didn't inform the US of its intentions, the Israeli planes may very well get shot down before they got to their target. If they did manage to bomb the reactor, everybody would know the US knew and approved of it.
                  They could fly north and go over Turkey and Azeribajan and then fly in over the Caspian Sea, would take a long time and they would have to refuel several times, but at least the Arabs cant blame us

Comment

I don't know the exact differences, but I don't think it's possible without US tanker support or overfly rights.

Comment

A stealth bomber, a couple of big penetration bombs, Iran's nuclear assets go boom! and nobody claims anything.

What? Your reactor exploded? Gee, you need to be careful with that stuff. Us? Are you accusing us? No way. All our pilots were at the movies that night. That's right. They were watching Gigi. Come to think of it, that did make them awfully grumpy..

Comment

nah, if you want it to soun realistic it would go something like this: "What? It blew up? And we weren't there? Shame. You're blaming us? Fuck off, asshole! It couldn't be us, all our pilots were at the movies watching "Debbie Does Dallas" and "Naughty Nurses, Part 4"."

Comment

Working...
                        X