usmc individual weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• usmc individual weapon

can somebody explain me what gun uses usmc?m16 or m4?

Most of the pics that I see of Marines show them carrying M-16A4, I have seen pics of Marines carrying M4s, but Im pretty sure that the M-16A4 is the standard right now. Im no expert, but essentially an A4 is a M-16A2 with a removable carrying handle and rails for mounting all the toys. The most common optic that I see on USMC rifles is ACOG, but I can think of a few posters here who probably can tell you a lot more on this subject than I can.

Comment

I'm under the impression that it's the M16A4 is standard issue, but there are probably a fair amount of M4s in service with the Marine Corps as well. Then again, that's just a guess.

Comment

Is not the M4 replacing the M16, especially when troops are deployed to Iraq?

Comment

The M-16A4 won the USMC competition back in 2002 I think, and is standard issue. There are a number of M4s in service with the USMC, but I am not sure how they are distributed. Its the Army that has pretty much completely gone over to the M4.

Edit: Just found this from Marine Corps Times in 2007

The Marine Corps is revamping its weapons distribution among leathernecks, issuing the M4 carbine to career enlisted Marines and officers who previously carried the M9 pistol, according to a Corps-wide message released last Friday.

The new assignment policy, announced in MarAdmin 378/07 states that staff sergeants and up, along with second lieutenants through lieutenant colonels and chief warrant officers, will now be issued the M4, which is essentially a smaller version of the M16. Marines in those paygrades previously were issued the M9 pistol.

Colonels and up will continue to carry the M9. Privates through sergeants will still be issued the M16A4. Assignment of automatic rifles will not change.

Sailors E-5 and below who are with Marine units will be issued the M4. The remaining pay grades will still carry the pistol.

The policy change is the result of the Marine Corps Equipment Review Group, according to the message, which convened in 2005.

“The review … took into consideration lessons learned along with knowledge of new weapon technology being fielded,” the message states. “As a result, new individual weapons assignment policies were developed, validated and approved by the Marine Requirements Oversight Council for implementation.”

The message went on to say that the current fielding of the M16A4, which is replacing the M16A2, will not change, and directed units to maintain the older rifles until the newer ones arrive.

“Units will request disposition instructions for excess M16A2 rifles and M9 pistols upon being fully fielded all replacement weapons,” the message states.
          Last edited by HKDan; 04 Jan 08,, 16:00.

Comment

and what about the marines wearin' the coyote brown flight-suit,issued with the m4?!?!
            is that a special branch of the usmc?!
            I'm tryin to post some pics,hope it works...
            Attached Files

Comment

The guy in the top pic is carrying an M-16A4. Notice the full stock and length. In the second pic he is carrying an M4. I have read that Marines in Iraq are allowed to wear those Nomex suits because they are burn resistant compared to the usual MARPAT uniforms.
              Last edited by HKDan; 04 Jan 08,, 16:22.

Comment

sorry,the i did'nt notice the first pic...so there's no special reasons they wear that...?thanks...

Comment

They wear that because burn wounds are common with IEDs and those suits offer more protection.

Comment

HKDan is right. Nomex suits are becoming more common, particularly for folks who spend a majority of their time inside vehicles like Up-Armored HMMWVs. Nomex offers far better flash fire protection. The Army has the suits in two-piece ACU color now, so it's basically ACUs except made of Nomex with some minor variations (the pockets are arranged a little differently). I don't know for sure, but I imagine the Marines will follow suit as it seems like a good idea.

Comment

do you know where I could get a "marine suit"?
                      I do not want to buy it from ebay but if somebody knows another good site...thanks

Comment

ofogs:my sister's husband also served in the 82nd abn;but I'm not to shure...

Comment

My take on he choice of weapons is that US Marines are famed marksman. The M16A4 is more accurate at longer ranges than the M4.

The Army has made the switch (though not completely, a lot of support units still have M16A2s) due to the fact that the more compact M4 is easier to handle and maneuver with when facing urban combat situations... as well as climbing in and out of vehicles.

I for one found it a pain in the arse carrying the 16 around getting in and out of an M1114 with a longbarrel musket getting caught up on the radio mounts while the muzzle is in the floorboards because it's so large. Excellent for picking off 300M targets, not so much for maneuverability.

I'm sure the Marine Recon and some special operations units have made the switch due to the advantage of having an assault rifle thats the size of a SMG for their TTPs. I just believe they stuck with the 16 for the aforementioned reasons of long standing stigma of being the best of the best when it comes to being a rifleman.
                          "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

And us old dinosaurs who did with the FN-FALC1 have no idea what you're talking about. M16s are long barrel? You have not seen a long barrel.

Comment

OOE & Freedomisntfree

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                              And us old dinosaurs who did with the FN-FALC1 have no idea what you're talking about. M16s are long barrel? You have not seen a long barrel.

I remember training with our partnership unit, PPCLI and they had the FNs. I rememebr asking their platoon commander....Geez, where'd you get the Brown Bess!?!?!?

Oh, and Freedomisntfree.....its a rifle not a gun!!!
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X