Cambridge boots Boy Scouts, calls support for soldiers 'pro-war'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cambridge boots Boy Scouts, calls support for soldiers 'pro-war'

Bluesman, you better sit down for this one.

Cambridge boots Boy Scouts, calls support for soldiers 'pro-war' - Cambridge, MA - Cambridge Chronicle & Cambridge TAB

Cambridge boots Boy Scouts, calls support for soldiers 'pro-war'
    By Matt Dunning/Chronicle Staff
    Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:57 AM EST

Cambridge - Was it just too pro-war for Cambridge?

A troop of Boy Scouts is wondering why their donation boxes meant for troops in Iraq were thrown out of polling stations last week.

Election officials ordered the removal of donation boxes set up by a troop of Cambridge Boy Scouts of America during last Tuesday’s municipal election.

The boxes were set up inside the 33 polling stations around the city to collect donations for soldiers serving overseas in the war in Iraq.

Marsha Weinerman, executive director of the city’s Election Commission, said the boxes were removed after a resident complained to commission workers about their implied “pro-war” message.

“We contacted the law department, and it was determined that the best course of action would be to remove the boxes,” Weinerman said.

In a column that appears in this week’s Chronicle, Troop leader Jamisean Patterson said the commission twice granted the scouts permission to set up the boxes at the polling stations.

“We have never seen anything like this decision in Cambridge before,” Patterson wrote. The city is changing for the worse if decisions like this are allowed to be made.”

Weinerman cited a law that prohibits political messages near any polling station in an election. But state law prohibits political messages pertaining to a particular election within 150 feet of any polling station, according to a spokesperson for Secretary of State William Galvin’s office. There is no law stopping someone from promoting an unrelated political message within 150 feet of any polling place.

While most of the boxes were set up in the lobbies or front entrances of the polling stations, some were placed in the same room as voting booths, according to election workers. Weinerman said the scouts were never given permission to set up the boxes inside the 150-foot boundary.

“This was not supporting the war or any politician or political view,” Patterson wrote.

Election officials kept the boxes in storage until a troop leader was able to pick them up.

Contributions for the troops can be sent to:

Troop 45, BSA
    P.O. Box 381241
    Cambridge, MA 02238
    Comments (125)
    That's odd. I thought the left always said don't question their patriotism because they can support the troops but not the war. Now it appears Kennedy and Kerry's state believes support for the troops is political.

So in Massechusettes, supporting the troops = patriotism, supporting the troops = political, therefore patriotism = political and should be barred from within 150' of the polling station.

WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!!!
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

We have the same nonsense in Canada only we had our lefties attacking vets selling poppies for Remembrance Day. Worse still, the feminists here demanded,and got the Boy Scouts of Canada to drop the word "boy" because it excluded girls and sounded sexist, and were forced to allow girls into the boys ranks.The girl guides remain the girl guides because they say girls need the company of there own gender to create and foster independance. Boys it would seem don,t need this same requirement. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      Bluesman, you better sit down for this one.

Cambridge boots Boy Scouts, calls support for soldiers 'pro-war' - Cambridge, MA - Cambridge Chronicle & Cambridge TAB

That's odd. I thought the left always said don't question their patriotism because they can support the troops but not the war. Now it appears Kennedy and Kerry's state believes support for the troops is political.

So in Massechusettes, supporting the troops = patriotism, supporting the troops = political, therefore patriotism = political and should be barred from within 150' of the polling station.

WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT!!!
      We just got fox news here as one of our feeds and this was the first thing I saw, some rather attractive presenter tearing shreds off the legal wonk spokesman for Cambridge. Damn me he ended up looking like a dick.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

groooooooooooaaaaaannnnnnnn

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
          We just got fox news here as one of our feeds and this was the first thing I saw, some rather attractive presenter tearing shreds off the legal wonk spokesman for Cambridge. Damn me he ended up looking like a dick.
          The lady's name is Laura Ingraham and the sleazebag layer's name is Geoffrey Nathan.
          He gave himself away with the "premptive war" comment.

Someone near Bluesman should slip him some tranquilizers before he sees this. ;)

Cheers.

Comment

Soliciting has NO place in an election facility. It doesn't matter what it is for because the next thing you know there will be other groups demanding equal treatment for the placement of their collection boxes. Would you like to see collection boxes for gay rights and abortion clinics? How about churches and mosques?

Whoever allowed them in there in the first place is an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwarven Pirate View Post
              Soliciting has NO place in an election facility. It doesn't matter what it is for because the next thing you know there will be other groups demanding equal treatment for the placement of their collection boxes. Would you like to see collection boxes for gay rights and abortion clinics? How about churches and mosques?

Whoever allowed them in there in the first place is an idiot.
              Actually that's not what the law says. The law says nothing "political" within 150' of the polling place. It didn't mention anything about soliciting. Technically any charitable organization, or even vendors and panhandlers, as long as they do not have a political message, are allowed at the polling place.

For example, no teacher's union asking voters to vote for more budget or a bond measure. No police supporting a certain DA banner is allowed within 150' of the polling place.

Supporting our troops is not a political message. It is not pro-war.

What if there is no war going on and some scouts just wanted to collect care packages? Will that be allowed?

What if the "war" we have right now is something like "operation allied force" where we bomb the snot out of Milosovic but no ground troops deployed, and we still want to send care packages? Is that pro-war?

What if we have a "war" in Darfur ordered by a democrat president and supported by all the democrats in the congress? We want to send some care packages to our soldiers in a "humanitarian" mission? Is that pro-war?

Democrats said don't question their patriotism. They support the troops but not the war. Boy scouts support the troops, therefore they are patriotic. Booting them from the polling place means they do not want patriotism at the polling place since that's obviously "political." Let me ask you, is "voting" itself political?
              Last edited by gunnut; 18 Nov 07,, 10:34.

Comment

Voting is political.

Comment

Originally posted by Feanor View Post
                  Voting is political.
                  I agree.

Voters should be barred from getting within 150' of any polling place in the state of Massechusettes.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                    Actually that's not what the law says. The law says nothing "political" within 150' of the polling place. It didn't mention anything about soliciting. Technically any charitable organization, or even vendors and panhandlers, as long as they do not have a political message, are allowed at the polling place.

For example, no teacher's union asking voters to vote for more budget or a bond measure. No police supporting a certain DA banner is allowed within 150' of the polling place.

Supporting our troops is not a political message. It is not pro-war.

What if there is no war going on and some scouts just wanted to collect care packages? Will that be allowed?

What if the "war" we have right now is something like "operation allied force" where we bomb the snot out of Milosovic but no ground troops deployed, and we still want to send care packages? Is that pro-war?

What if we have a "war" in Darfur ordered by a democrat president and supported by all the democrats in the congress? We want to send some care packages to our soldiers in a "humanitarian" mission? Is that pro-war?

Democrats said don't question their patriotism. They support the troops but not the war. Boy scouts support the troops, therefore they are patriotic. Booting them from the polling place means they do not want patriotism at the polling place since that's obviously "political." Let me ask you, is "voting" itself political?
                    What are you asking me? I think it is common sense not to allow solicitation in any form at the polls. If you want to allow these particular things mentioned above, I assume you also support allowing collection boxes that are labelled "Dont Support the Troops"? If not, why not. If so, can you not see how this could multiply beyond what is reasonable? Yeah, the law they cite doesn't talk about solicitation. OK, no problem, we can drop this idea until they make that law :)

Yes, voting is political. So is supporting the troops. If you think it isn't, I'd guess you believe it an impossibility to NOT support the troops, which is patently absurd as I'm sure you realize we have citizens that support our enemies over our own people.

Further, any sign saying "Support the Troops" is not only political on the face of it, but could easily be taken as endorsing a particular candidate. For instance, if his opponent had voted against a defense appropriations bill and it was a campaign issue.

Booting them from the polling place does not mean they deny patriotism. It simply means they deny anything that might influence the voter, which is what these laws are intended for.

Comment

You guys think this is bad? Have you guys heard about the schools and colleges/universities that will not allow military recruiters on campus or allow the creation of ROTC/JROTC programs?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202 View Post
                        You guys think this is bad? Have you guys heard about the schools and colleges/universities that will not allow military recruiters on campus or allow the creation of ROTC/JROTC programs?
                        Colleges have long since become, in effect, a publicly funded corporation that is servicing to a liberal clientelle, and thus forced to do what it takes to satisfy the consumers.

Comment

Originally posted by Feanor View Post
                          Colleges have long since become, in effect, a publicly funded corporation that is servicing to a liberal clientelle, and thus forced to do what it takes to satisfy the consumers.
                          True, because somewhere along the line public schools forgot who their clientèle was supposed to be, and ended up servicing academia, rather than the paying customers. Welfare for intellectuals.
                          I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202 View Post
                            I see no problem with that. As long as they are private institutions.

If student "X" would like to talk to a recruiter, I'm sure he/she is smart enough to find the recruiters office or phone number.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                              I see no problem with that. As long as they are private institutions.

If student "X" would like to talk to a recruiter, I'm sure he/she is smart enough to find the recruiters office or phone number.
                              Agreed. I also see no problem with the feds withholding grant money from said private institutions.
                              I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X