Child rearing (by popular demand)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child rearing (by popular demand)

Well I'll kick off. I've got two, a seven year old girl and a two year old boy. Never hit them never will. I had the bejesus walloped out of me once or twice when I was a kid and it never did me the slightest bit of good.

Must have strict discipline however. My wee girl likes to argue the toss with me, infact I actively encourage her to, but I leave her in no doubt who's in charge of decision making. Even when she looses the arguments, she gets points for arguing well.

My wee boy spent last night in hospital for treatment for dehydration (damned rotovirus again) but I spent this evening at his beck and call, carrying him around the room while he instructed his mum how best to make his dinner. No peas mum. mum. no peas mum. no.
    Good commanding voice he's developing but it didn't work on mum.

Anyway, I have no idea why y'all wanted a thread on child rearing, but here it is. Have at it.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

I heard a saying that "Spare the stick and spoil the kid"
    Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Michael Jacksons renowned for it isnt he

Comment

Beating children is wrong - could never do it myself (though I was also given a wallop or two as a child), I find it very inhumane and can cause real resentment later on in life.

I also don't believe in raising a child religiously - I can teach him/her the moral values he/she needs myself, without having to resort to the bible - then when they're old enough they can pick whether they want to be religious or not, and what denomination they want, we often create an immovable bias when it comes to faith, I'd rather be impartial (my Fiance is a Protestant, I'm a Moderate Catholic so we've already agreed to raise the children in a fair and even-handed way - secular).
        Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
        - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

I don't care how you parents do it as long as the resulting children don't pi$$ me off by thinking they are my equal.

-dale

Comment

I am a proud daddy of a 9month old girl. I will never hit her but I will tell her who is boss (her mum), no one can tell us parents how to bring up our child, I am sure we all try to do our best. I will try to be the loving parent that I did not have as a child.

Parihaka, I hope your little one is ok.

Mike
            sigpic

Comment

by the way I am willing to trade my daughter for a Bentley GT speed (2007)...any offers...PS don't tell her mum.
              sigpic

Comment

As the old saying goes, why should you suffer any less than the rest of us?

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                  I don't care how you parents do it as long as the resulting children don't pi$$ me off by thinking they are my equal.

-dale
                  Dale,I have two children,a girl 15 and a boy who is 11.They would be respectful,polite and listen attentively when in your presence.They would wait until it was just the two of them to discuss what an incredible nerd they had just met;) (kidding dude:) )

Seriously,we have raised our children to be respectful of their elders and everyone else for that matter.They understand the concept of being friendly but trusting very few,as well as giving people the benefit of the doubt regarding respect until that person proves themselves unworthy of it.

My children say "please" and "thank you" which a lot of parents seem to find old fashioned and unneccessary in their children's upbringing.I want my kids to understand and be grateful for what they have and what they might be given.I do not want them to grow up with the sense of entitlement that so many kids seem to have these days.

I am very upfront with my kids regarding any subject they want to discuss-nothing is off limits.This is something my parents failed miserably at.
                  "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by mike nickeas View Post

Parihaka, I hope your little one is ok.

Mike
                    Yeah he's getting better thanks Mike, though he did throw up over my work shirt this morning

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                      Yeah he's getting better thanks Mike, though he did throw up over my work shirt this morning
                      Hope he's doing better Pari,it's hell watching your child go through any kind of sickness.Makes you wish you could be sick instead of them especially at that age.
                      "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
                        Hope he's doing better Pari,it's hell watching your child go through any kind of sickness.Makes you wish you could be sick instead of them especially at that age.
                        He had to have a tube stuck down his nose. I wasn't there when they did it but apparently he fought the doctor like a wee tiger when they tried, and they had to wrap him up in sheets to do it, makes me proud really. He still hasn't forgiven his mum for standing by when it happened and he's pretty cross with me as well for not taking it out when he told me to
                        We had him in bed with us last night and when he woke up he hit me in the face and yelled 'no doctor daddy, no doctor'. then he smiled and went back to sleep:))

Leibniz

Comment

My children say "please" and "thank you" which a lot of parents seem to find old fashioned and unneccessary in their children's upbringing.I want my kids to understand and be grateful for what they have and what they might be given.I do not want them to grow up with the sense of entitlement that so many kids seem to have these days.
                          /applause (Seriously! I/We thank you.)

Comment

Dale,I have two children,a girl 15 and a boy who is 11.They would be respectful,polite and listen attentively when in your presence.They would wait until it was just the two of them to discuss what an incredible nerd they had just met;) (kidding dude:) )

Seriously,we have raised our children to be respectful of their elders and everyone else for that matter.They understand the concept of being friendly but trusting very few,as well as giving people the benefit of the doubt regarding respect until that person proves themselves unworthy of it.

I am very upfront with my kids regarding any subject they want to discuss-nothing is off limits.This is something my parents failed miserably at.
                            Yep, this is what I hope to achieve with my kids as well. Confident and polite.

Leibniz

Comment

We had him in bed with us last night and when he woke up he hit me in the face and yelled 'no doctor daddy, no doctor'. then he smiled and went back to sleep:))

Yep, this is what I hope to achieve with my kids as well. Confident and polite.
                              I don't think this will pose any problem for you,just don't let them see that picture of you at the beach that keeps floating around here ;) .

Comment

Working...
                              X