WAB IRC Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAB IRC Channel

Hey, I was wondering if WAB would consider getting an IRC Channel? It would allow members of WAB to all chat with eachother on an Instant Relay Chat room.

Originally posted by Grim Reaper View Post
    Hey, I was wondering if WAB would consider getting an IRC Channel? It would allow members of WAB to all chat with eachother on an Instant Relay Chat room.
    I believe that was brought up before, but it was declined so we could concentrate on "just" being a message board
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      I believe that was brought up before, but it was declined so we could concentrate on "just" being a message board
      You mean we would have to talk to each other in real-time chat as opposed to flinging a literary poop grenade and then ducking?Come on...
      "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Well I didn't know if it was brought up before because I did a search but didn't find a topic concerning it, so my bad anway. I just thought it would be a nice idea especially seeing how many other communities use it and it ends up being pretty successful, doesn't really change the forum much except bring people closer to eachother as friends. However, it's all up to you guys. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Reaper View Post
          Well I didn't know if it was brought up before because I did a search but didn't find a topic concerning it, so my bad anway. I just thought it would be a nice idea especially seeing how many other communities use it and it ends up being pretty successful, doesn't really change the forum much except bring people closer to eachother as friends. However, it's all up to you guys. ^_^
          Dude,I was just messing with you;) .Personally I wouldn't have any objections,it might be fun,but TH says the members didn't really find it appealing.
          "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Members were asked?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Shameless View Post
              Dude,I was just messing with you;) .Personally I wouldn't have any objections,it might be fun,but TH says the members didn't really find it appealing.
              Bearing in mind not all WAB members are native English speakers. Those who do well at a keyboard may not be so confident or fluent in real-time vocal communication (if that is indeed what has been suggested). I feel it could put them at a disadvantage.
              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Gyln, your point is well taken. However, it's not like we'd demand complete fluent English on the IRC should we decide to have one. I'm sure we'd take into consideration your point, but we should also note that the advantages outnumber the disadvantages. I'm sure the members would like to chat in real time and it sure brings people closer on the forum when they understand eachother more. The IRC would mainly be based on the happenings of what is currently going on in WAB and anything appropriate the members wish to diccuss. Forum activity could also benefit, the IRC channel can be seen as an extention rather than something seperate to WAB.

Comment

I feel it will be a great help to the non English speaking members if they can converse real time. Errors in syntax and expression can be picked up when it is realtime.

For instance, in India, to learn correct pronunciation, students are asked to hear the BBC radio and it does help!

Likewise, I am sure the non English speaking members will get to learn sentence construction etc by seeing the sentences being written.

One would also be able to differentiate Americanism from English. I have personally benefited from the posts on this issue.

As far as native English speaking syntax is concerned, one should visit ARRSE. There are many words, thoughts, sentences that defy imagination and understanding. One would love to ask the meanings, but if it were an online discussion one would not be hesitant. But as a post, one is always a bit hesitant!

Just a thought of a non native English knowing person, whose first language is English as understood in India.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

I've been apart of many IRC channels and I can tell you it's very helpful for learning. Especially, this community is very intellectual and are willing to help people. Our channel will be made up of mostly highly knowledgable and kind people anyway. Besides it's not like your going to get kicked off for not spelling a word correctly or leave out some punctuation. I'd say our current members know enough to communicate and understand eachother in real time chat even if they do make a few mistakes.

Edit, I've added a picture of how the IRC room will look:

Last edited by Grim Reaper; 13 Jul 07,, 21:48.

Comment

IRC? Isn't that old school?

By the way, I demand all to speak Americanese in the IRC channel. Preferably 1337 5p34k with a California accent.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post

By the way, I demand all to speak Americanese in the IRC channel. Preferably 1337 5p34k with a California accent.
                        Ah don't speak Californese...strange dialect

Comment

What is the accent of Donald Duck? ;) :)

Is he from Hollywood?

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post

The only California accent I recall back in the 80's was "Valley Girl"! Like...for sure...
                            “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                            "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shameless View Post
                              but TH says the members didn't really find it appealing.
                              Actually what I could have stated more clearly is that the Admins at the time decided not to pursue it. ;)
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                              X