Book of the month?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book of the month?

I wanted to find out if there's any interest for a "book of the month" club out there. What I envision is each month, a different member leads a discussion on a book of their choice (subject to drumming up enough interest so that it isn't a monologue thread ).

The book need not be something about grand strategy (but I'm not looking for the latest John Grisham novel either) - what I'm looking for is that those who wish to lead a discussion pick something in their field of interest and/or expertise (e.g. Albany Rifles picks something on the Civil War; Swift Sword picks something on the "eastern" perspective on the art of war, perhaps The Book of Five Rings ;); Bigfella could pick something on Vietnam; just to name three examples). Thus, it could be a favorite book of the discussion leader, or a book that they've been wanting to read and would like to work through it with other board members.

If there is enough interest, I'd like to setup a schedule that goes out a few months so that people can figure which discussions they'd like to participate in and then have enough time to buy/borrow the book and read it.
    Yes, I'd like to participate
    66.67%
    Yes, I'd like to lead a discussion
    27.78%
    No, I spend too much time on the internet to read
    5.56%
    Last edited by Shek; 02 Jul 07,, 02:30.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

I'd love to participate but I'm hardly qualified to discuss anything authoritatively...unless you want to discuss semiconductor distribution and I'm pretty sure that falls outside the scope of the Staff College
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      I'd love to participate but I'm hardly qualified to discuss anything authoritatively...unless you want to discuss semiconductor distribution and I'm pretty sure that falls outside the scope of the Staff College
      I'm sure you'd run circles around me on naval affairs. Heck, I couldn't even figure out which direction was fore and aft on my cruise ship a few years back after a week (and it was a family cruise, so I can't blame it on not being sober for the week).

I'm not looking for expertise, although it won't hurt. Just folks that will actually read the book and jump into the fray so that we all come out the better for it.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Well Shek,if you need an expert at putting their foot in their mouth on multiple subjects I'm your man.Jack of all trades,master of.....well....see the above .I like books;) .Even ones without pictures.
        "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Shameless View Post
          Well Shek,if you need an expert at putting their foot in their mouth on multiple subjects I'm your man.Jack of all trades,master of.....well....see the above .I like books;) .Even ones without pictures.
          Yeah Shameless, no girly magazines or comic books!
          “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
          "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
          sigpic

Comment

I am currently reading Moby Dick...

What an amazing book! The language is very symbolic, and uses complex descriptions, it also paints a reflection of what it means to be human, striving for happiness and adventure.

I am glued to this book right now, Herman Melville with the use of the English language helps to paint an awesome picture of what it was like to be a Whale man. This book has me really interested in the whaling industry at its peak during the mid 19th century.

I recommend this book to anyone!! Don't be intimidated by the rich and complex language of the book. Let your imagination take over, as your conscience is thrown in with the crew on a whaleboat, challenging mother nature and your own demons.
            Last edited by Canmoore; 02 Jul 07,, 16:56.

Comment

Okay, I'll play.

And I'll start with recommendation about (go figure) the American Civil War...

A Wilson Greene. Civil War Petersburg: Confederate City in the Crucible of War. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2006

Will Greene is executive director of Pamplin Historical Park outside of Petersburg. He has written the definitive work on the breakthrough to end the Petersburg Campaign of 2 April 1865.

This volume covers the war from the perspective of the civil populace from before the war until its initial postbellem period. The study also of the confused command arrangements and how much personalities played in hampering the efforts of the Confederacy come to the forefront.

A very easy read which makes great use of primary sources. As with all of Will's books, you need 2 bookmarks while reading....one for th epage you are reading and one for the corresponding end notes page.

Enjoy!
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Sling and the Stone.

W

Comment

The idea has gotten a lukewarm response, but I'll give it a trial run and see if it flies or flops.

The book that I'd like to start with for discussion in August (using July as time to read it) is Amazon.com: Supreme Command: Soldiers, Statesmen, and Leadership in Wartime: Books: Eliot A. Cohen.

Please come up on the net if you want to participate in the discussion on this book (which implies that you will read it :) ). I think that given the multiple case studies (Lincoln, Clemenceau, Churchill, Ben-Gurion, LBJ) Professor Cohen looks at, it should provide lots of material for some good debate and discussion.

The thread for the discussion will be here, and I'll reopen it once we start discussing the book in August. I've included an review of the book by Michael Barone as well as an interview with Professor Cohen in the discussion thread. Also, you can find reviews by Ralph Peters and Max Boot, among others, on the Amazon.com page for the book.
                  Last edited by Shek; 05 Jul 07,, 12:47.

Comment

Okay

I'm in!

Now let me go find it!
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Ka-Ching!

And I have it on hold for me at the library (technology is SO cool!)

This will give me something to read while away at Boy Scout Camp!
                      Mark Twain

Comment

I'm There

Thanks A.R. I just got off my butt and registered at my local library. Reserved a copy so hopefully I'll be fine by August.

Looking forward to it.
                        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

I'm not in quite yet, I'm studying hard for the GRE. In a few months when we get a new rotation in, I'll be all for it. Keep the emails coming, Shek.

:)
                          In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
                          The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Shek,

Looks like my University library has a copy. Cool!

I wouldn't worry too much about the initial lukewarm response. If even a small group reads the books & participates in the discussion intelligently it will attract others. Active & interesting threads often do.

Just one suggestion as we go along. Keep in mind the widespread nature of the group. While many reside in Nth America, some of us are more far flung & may struggle to obtain some books. Likewise, I can think of one or two outstanding books focussed on Australia that may prove difficult for those outside Oz to obtain.

This may mean that people nominate several books & get feedback from people on what they are able to obtain (I will probably do this when I lead a discussion).

Until then, I look forward to some spirited & incisive discussions.

Tophatter,

Don't worry about not being an 'expert'. Expertise can be overrated. The interested 'amateur' often has as much or more to contribute than those who live a subject. I'm sure there are more than a few areas of interest to us all (apart from semiconductors) where your knowledge can enlighten us all.
                            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Bigfella,

The interlibrary loan system in the US is actually pretty good. Most library systems are part of a consortium where if your library of choice doesn't have a book, then it can use ILL to get a copy from another library. So, if you've got a good book, if the schedule is out in enough time, then availability shouldn't be a huge issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X