how to handle granchildren

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to handle granchildren

this question is directed at Brigadier Ray ,being an infantryman and a granfather do your granchildren have you wrapped around their little fingers ,
    i ask this because as some of you know i am an honoury grandfather ,you see when i met my wife she already had 3 kids of her own also she is a bit older than me anyway i helped bring her kids up ,they got married gave her daughter away at her wedding did all the fathery things except change nappies ,Her oldest son they are expecting their 1st child in 4 months the daughter already has 2 children,the oldest one gabby is just 2 beautiful ,her son Ryan has been picked at the age of 1 year to do baby ads,Gabby knows exactly how to manipulate me she is only 4, my wife tells me that i was a member of one of the most well trained units in south africa ,i still pride myself on discipline when i can keep my mouth shut but with my granchildren all of that goes out the window,i cannot say no ,those big blue eyes just get to me ,when she wants something in the shops she falls on her knees and says pleaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeee,and thats me ,the upside is i have trained her to fetch me beer out of the fridge with military precision ,how do you say no.

I'd like to say I'm better but I AM driving around with a new Sponge Bob The Movie DVD in the back seat of my car...
    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

According to my wife's parents the golden rule for grandparents is to spoil their grandchildren rotten and send them home to their parents. Seems to work quite well for them.;)
      "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
        According to my wife's parents the golden rule for grandparents is to spoil their grandchildren rotten and send them home to their parents. Seems to work quite well for them.;)
        And your turn will come, and you will relish spoiling your grandchildren when the time comes. Believe me:)
        Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
          And your turn will come, and you will relish spoiling your grandchildren when the time comes. Believe me:)
          I am looking foward to it with no end of relish glyn,and maybe a little mustard too.
          "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

You are more than welcome to "borrow" any of my five if you wish to practice.:) Apart from my Mortgage, they are the most expensive "Items" I don't own. When they have gone back to their respective parents the silence is deafening...Heaven

Comment

May I just express as a recent parent my great appreciation to all those geriatric part-time caregivers so accustomed to loading their grandchildren with all the sugar they can squeeze into their tiny frames.
              Ah, the joy of a small wrecking machine bouncing around the house like a blue-arsed fly screaming about how grandma and grandpa are so much more fun....

My seven-year-olds developing appreciation for a good drop of Merlot with dinner is also a boon
              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                You are more than welcome to "borrow" any of my five if you wish to practice.:) Apart from my Mortgage, they are the most expensive "Items" I don't own. When they have gone back to their respective parents the silence is deafening...Heaven
                :)

Comment

[QUOTE=Parihaka

My seven-year-olds developing appreciation for a good drop of Merlot with dinner is also a boon[/QUOTE]

Pari thats got to be a Hawkes Bay(Kim Crawford vinyard) or a Torara Hill:)

Comment

:)
                    I should have called this this "The Many Faces of Grandpa Dave":)

Comment

I thought that's called "payback" for all the problems your kids gave you when they were young.

If you really hate your kids, you give your grandchildren toy drum sets and other noise makers.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I should have called this this "The Many Faces of Grandpa Dave":)
                        I love them really, and even get called "g'dad crazy" because I act like a kid when they are here. We have lots of fun with singing and dancing and the usual tomfoolary....But boy do I suffer the next day The old bones won't take much more

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                          If you really hate your kids, you give your grandchildren toy drum sets and other noise makers.
                          Nah that's easy to take care of, parents just say "the toys stay at the grandparents so you have something to play with when you're there"
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                            I thought that's called "payback" for all the problems your kids gave you when they were young.

I did something similar with one of my eldest sister's kids.I got him a Huey Cobra toy gunship,complete with battle sounds....cannon,rockets,engine...you name it.She retaliated by getting my daughter a talking "Barney"(the dinosaur ).Oh how I loathed that overstuffed,mouthy, purple prig.Nearly lost my mind until one day during nap time,Barney developed a permanent case of laryngitis courtesy of a screwdriver and a pair of wirecutters.No amount of cough syrup or throat lozenges could cure him.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                              Nah that's easy to take care of, parents just say "the toys stay at the grandparents so you have something to play with when you're there"
                              Ooh, ouch, I have to rethink that strategy. Good thing I have a few decades to work with.
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Working...
                              X