Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foul Mouthed Pilot

Flight canceled after pilot's foul language Sun Apr 8, 9:33 AM ET

Northwest Airlines canceled a flight set to leave from Las Vegas to Detroit after the captain cursed on a cell phone in a bathroom, then swore at one of the 180 passengers on the plane, officials said on Saturday.

"He used what was described to me as rude language," Ian Gregor, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said about Friday's incident on Northwest Flight 1190.

"At some point during the boarding process, he left the cockpit, went into the front lavatory, locked the door and continued his conversation.

"Passengers who were boarding the aircraft could hear his end of the conversation through the lavatory door."

When the captain emerged from the bathroom, a passenger confronted him about his behavior, reportedly prompting more cursing by the pilot of the B757 aircraft.

Local police questioned the captain, whose name was not released, and determined there was no cause to conduct a sobriety test, Gregor said.

But Northwest canceled the flight and flew the pilot back to his base in Detroit.

"Northwest is conducting a review of the matter and has apologized to its customers for the inconvenience," the company said in a statement. "Northwest has provided impacted customers with meals and hotels. In recognition of the inconvenience, they will receive compensation from Northwest Airlines."
    I understand that the pilot should not have used profanity, but to cancel the entire flight and make all those people stay in a hotel?!

That is just a little dramatic.
    "To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are."-Sholem Asch

"I always turn to the sports page first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures."-Earl Warren

"I didn't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."-Nancy Reagan, when asked a political question at a "Just Say No" rally

"He no play-a da game, he no make-a da rules."-Earl Butz, on the Pope's attitude toward birth control

To cancel the whole flight is and I for one would have shown that Captain on how to REALLY Swear,Squaddie style!!

Comment

I can see it; I understand why the flight was cancelled.

Nobody in the airline biz will take ANY chances, and after an incident like this, if anything - no matter how random and unrelated - had happened, it would be platoons of lawyers to the kill, baby.

Not a good call, but a SAFE call, as far as the company was concerned. And that's what it's all about in the airline biz these days.

Comment

There are always standby pilots.

Why was the flight not allowed to go delayed and not cancelled?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Why in the world did they cancel the flight, cancelling it was more inconvenient then the captain cursing.
          Those who can't change become extinct.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
            There are always standby pilots.

Why was the flight not allowed to go delayed and not cancelled?
            Brigadier, my question as well, there must be somethig else to this story we are not being told

Comment

Originally posted by wkllaw View Post
              Why in the world did they cancel the flight, cancelling it was more inconvenient then the captain cursing.
              wkllaw.. that Airline needs to spend more money on "soundproof" toilets.. that will save them a fortune

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                wkllaw.. that Airline needs to spend more money on "soundproof" toilets.. that will save them a fortune
                I guess if they did spend money on it, this situation would'nt have occurred. In my opinion, that would also be more convienient as most people don't want to hear what they others do in the toilet.
                Those who can't change become extinct.

Comment

I think it was really just to give those passengers a chance to re-think their travel plans to Detroit and I live here
                  "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                  X