US to help Libya build nuke plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US to help Libya build nuke plant

Somehow I have a bad feeling about this....

US set to help Libya build nuclear power plant

TRIPOLI (AFP) - The United States is to help Libya to build a first nuclear power plant under an agreement to be signed soon, the official news agency reported on Monday.

The Libyan parliament or General People's Committee (GPC) gave its approval on Sunday for the foreign ministry to sign the deal, JANA said.

"The GPC authorised on Sunday the GPC for Foreign Liaison and International Cooperation to sign the agreement related (to) the Libyan-American cooperation in peaceful use of nuclear energy offered by the United States," it said in an English-language dispatch.

"The agreement aims at establishing a nuclear station in Libya to produce electricity, desalting water, and developing the radiochemistry performance at energy researches centre."

There was no immediate confirmation from Washington of the proposed deal.

The draft agreement approved by MPs on Sunday provides for Libyan students to receive training in nuclear technology in the United States and for the establishment in Libya of a regional centre for nuclear medicine, the news agency said.

Libya was long accused by Western governments of seeking to acquire weapons of mass destruction.

But in late 2003 Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi renounced all attempts to develop a non-conventional arsenal, clearing the way for the restoration of diplomatic relations with the United States in May last year.

The proposed agreement between the United States and its longtime enemy Libya comes as Washington intensifies its campaign against the nuclear programme of its arch-foe
    Iran.

Iran's programme, which the Islamic republic insists is entirely peaceful, has prompted a number of Arab states to announce plans to work on civil nuclear energy, including pro-Western Egypt and the six oil-rich Gulf states.

US set to help Libya build nuclear power plant - Yahoo! News
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Great... we won't let Iran build a nuclear power plant, but we are helping out Libya, which happens to be a bigger autocratic state.

Comment

I have pictures flooding threw my head of generations of Libyan children running around with 3 arms and lizard like toungues....

Comment

Originally posted by Timeseer View Post
        Great... we won't let Iran build a nuclear power plant, but we are helping out Libya, which happens to be a bigger autocratic state.
        Could be sending a message to Iran, "help me help you".
        Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

We need to build more nuke plants right here in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by smilingassassin View Post
            Could be sending a message to Iran, "help me help you".
            Then you would just focus on foreign relations rather than domestic and let our own country suffer.

Originally posted by Kassad View Post
            We need to build more nuke plants right here in the USA.
            Nuclear power plants are not a good idea. Especially if there is a meltdown or any release of that harmful radiation. Its as bad as being hit by a nuclear bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by Timeseer View Post
              Nuclear power plants are not a good idea. Especially if there is a meltdown or any release of that harmful radiation. Its as bad as being hit by a nuclear bomb.
              Er, no. I would hazard a guess that the inhabitants of Hiroshima would have gladly traded places with the inhabitants of Chernobyl. A well designed nuke plant gives off less airborne radiation than a coal fired power plant. I see no reason to be afraid of nuclear power plants in the immediate future. The only thing that really concerns me with nukes is waste containment.
              I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

looks like nuclear technology is becoming more and more widespread.
                Those who can't change become extinct.

Comment

This is a nice thing and all, just not a very smart thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X