Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus tomb found

Jesus tomb found, says film-maker

Jesus had a son named Judah and was buried alongside Mary Magdalene, according to a new documentary by Hollywood film director James Cameron.

It examines a tomb found near Jerusalem in 1980 which the film-makers say belonged to Jesus and his family.

The Oscar-winning director of Titanic says statistical analysis and DNA back the claim.

Archaeologists say that the burial cave is probably that of a Jewish family with similar names to that of Jesus.

Samples tested

Israeli construction workers building an apartment complex in Jerusalem's East Talpiot district first uncovered 10 2,000-year-old ossuaries - or limestone coffins - in a tomb in March 1980.

According to the Israel Antiquities Authority, six of those coffins were marked with the names Mary; Matthew; Jesua son of Joseph; Mary; Jofa (Joseph, Jesus' brother); and Judah son of Jesua.

The documentary The Lost Tomb of Jesus, produced by Mr Cameron, claims tests on samples from two of the coffins show Jesus and Mary Magdalene were likely to have been buried in them and were a couple.

The film-makers used this finding to claim that the coffin marked "Judah son of Jesua" contains the son of Jesus and Mary.

They say the discovery of the tomb does not mean that Jesus was not resurrected three days after his death - a key Christian belief.

Academic Stephen Pfann, a scholar at the University of the Holy Land in Jerusalem, said he did not expect Christians to accept the film's findings.

"I don't think that Christians are going to buy into this," said Mr Pfann, who was interviewed by the film-makers.

"But sceptics, in general, would like to see something that pokes holes into the story that so many people hold dear."

Findings refuted

Israeli archaeologist Amos Kloner, who was among the first to examine the tomb when it was first discovered, said the names marked on the coffins were very common at the time.

"I don't accept the news that it was used by Jesus or his family
    ," he told the BBC News website.

"The documentary filmmakers are using it to sell their film."

Mr Cameron will show two of the coffins at a news conference in New York on Monday.

"It doesn't get bigger than this," he said in a press release.

"We've done our homework; we've made the case; and now it's time for the debate to begin."

Local residents said they were pleased with the attention the tomb has drawn.

"It will mean our house prices will go up because Christians will want to live here," one woman said.
    BBC NEWS | Middle East | Jesus tomb found, says film-maker
    Let the debate begin!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Sounds like somebody looking for fame and a buck.
    "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Jesus died circa 70AD in Rome. I am expecting flak. Bring it on!
      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Aye- A 2000 year old tomb would be almost a hundred years too old. Possibly the generation before Jesus, but I highly doubt it's jesus' tomb. Maybe if there is more and more evidence piling up I'll believe it, until then I'm going to be stubborn. I have to admit though, I want to believe it.

Always into the outermost. Is that a motto?

Of the Suns' deep varying.

I've never heard either of those
        Last edited by speedlover1994; 26 Feb 07,, 21:51.
        "you have enemies, good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life"

Comment

how can dna back the clame, do we have jeses sample dna? or known bloodline relative? sounds like a hoax.
          "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

´´The Oscar-winning director of Titanic says statistical analysis and DNA back the claim.´´

- how are they going to acquire God´s DNA for comparison ?
            - shall we see cloned Jesus ?

at least i cheer for local real estate owners :)
            If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

I don't think they would claim DNA backed the claim unless it is true, but I agree, it does seem like a hoax.

There are other ways to get DNA.

Agreed though about the real estate owners. Time to sell and move to San Diego
              "you have enemies, good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life"

Comment

Originally posted by braindead View Post
                ´´The Oscar-winning director of Titanic says statistical analysis and DNA back the claim.´´

we can always compare its DNA to the guy who played Jesus in the Passion of the Christ

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes View Post
                  we can always compare its DNA to the guy who played Jesus in the Passion of the Christ
                  LOL

I don't think we can--there isn't a whole lot of blood left in him :D

Comment

I wonder if J.Cameron is having any nightmeres about how Vatican is sending it´s secret assassins after him and his secret - in Terminator style

Comment

Too much!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

My question exactly.

Comment

Suspect

The commonness of those names alone during that time period would make this suspect. That's like finding a John Smith. Good job guys.
                          Relax. It's worse than you think.

Comment

One other possibility to throw in the mix ..................What if its .....Brian and his family ........................always look on the bright side of life .....(everyone whistle )
                            sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

´´What if its .....Brian and his family ´´
                              I´d love to see them find People´s Front of Judea (or was it Judean Peoples Front or ...) Crack Suicide Squad

Comment

Working...
                              X