• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Misuses of Intelligence

RealClearPolitics - Articles - The Misuses of Intelligence

February 19, 2007
    The Misuses of Intelligence
    By Michael Barone

Last week, we had a couple of object lessons in how to use -- or misuse -- foreign intelligence.

The first emerges from reports by U.S. military authorities in Iraq that weapons have been used there against American forces which seem highly likely to have come from Iran. To many of us, these reports seem unremarkable. There is every reason to believe that the mullah regime in Iran wishes us ill, and the border between Iraq and Iran, much of it highly mountainous, is surely porous. Yet from many critics of the administration emanate cries that these reports are not to be given credence -- they are just a ploy to justify military action against Iran.

To be sure, it appears that our military has been given orders to take action against Iranian agents in Iraq and that those orders have been followed. One wonders why such orders weren't given long ago. And there is certainly a case to be made -- I'd make it myself -- against a land war in Iran. But why should the reports be treated with suspicion?

The mullah regime has been making war against the United States since 1979. It committed an act of war against us by imprisoning our diplomats for 444 days. It sponsored Hezbollah, whose suicide bomber killed 240 Marines in Lebanon in 1983. It was behind the attack on the U.S. barracks in Khobar Towers in 1996. It calls the United States the Great Satan, and its current president has called for the eradication of the United States and Israel. The New York Times laments that America is "bullying" Iran. Actually, the mullah regime has been bullying the United States for 28 years.

So why the suspicion? The answer seems to be that because intelligence erred in its judgment that Saddam Hussein's regime had weapons of mass destruction it could be erring here, too: All intelligence that could be used to justify military action is inherently dubious.

But the conclusion of our intelligence community -- and that of every other nation with serious intelligence capacity -- that Saddam had WMD was eminently justifiable. Saddam had possessed and used WMD in the past; he had resisted and evaded WMD inspections; and, as we have learned from Charles Duelfer, he retained the capacity to produce WMD in the future.

We found in 1991 that his nuclear program was further along than our intelligence agencies thought. No responsible American leader could have given Saddam the presumption of innocence and assumed he had no WMD until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. George W. Bush didn't. Neither did Bill Clinton.

The critics seem to be assuming that we can somehow obtain intelligence that is 100 percent accurate. But that is not possible in the real world. Intelligence tries to get information that regimes are making great effort to conceal -- evil regimes, in the case of Saddam and the mullahs. Our leaders must make decisions based on incomplete and highly imperfect information. And that information can remain imperfect for a long time. We still don't know what Saddam did with the WMD he once had and never accounted for.

The second object lesson was the Defense Department Inspector General's report accusing former Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Douglas Feith of "inappropriate" behavior in presenting a briefing critical of intelligence community consensus.

The IG conceded that Feith's briefing was legal and authorized by his superiors, and did not criticize them for authorizing it. But it was somehow "inappropriate" for Feith to question the conclusion that there was no significant cooperation between Saddam's regime and al-Qaida.

What Feith did was to point to the intelligence community's own evidence of such cooperation and to question the assumption made by analysts that there could be no cooperation between Sunnis and Shiites. As we now know, such cooperation is very common. If your job is to protect the United States, you cannot assume it can't happen. Britain and France paid a high price for assuming that Hitler's Germany and Stalin's Soviet Union would never cooperate.

Again we encounter the idea that intelligence agencies' conclusions should be regarded as Holy Writ, not to be questioned or analyzed critically by high government officials -- that there can be an intelligence product that is 100 percent accurate, and that every intelligence community conclusion must be treated as if it is.

The Bush critics' position is that we must believe without reservation or criticism any intelligence that can be used to argue against military action and that we should never believe any intelligence, however plausible, that can be used to argue for it. That's not very intelligent.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

I just find it amazing that people continue to search for an all knowing "angel" that can be perfect 110% of the time as far as intelligence. No one person is perfect no matter his background and these pathetic idiots continue to hold these people up their "ideal" canidate for which they cannot present their champion but yet riddle the rest with BS over intelligence mistakes.

Apparently they are waiting for something along the lines of ...God himself said these people are building this in this exact position to destroy you.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 20 Feb 07,, 18:30.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

This post is the very definition of 'timely', given the discussion of the same subject in another thread.

Good shot, Major.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
        I just find it amazing that people continue to search for an all knowing "angel" that can be perfect 110% of the time as far as intelligence. No one person is perfect no matter his background and these pathetic idiots continue to hold these people up their "ideal" canidate for which they cannot present their champion but yet riddle the rest with BS over intelligence mistakes.

Apparently they are waiting for something along the lines of ...God himself said these people are building this in this exact position to destroy you.
        Such is the way of the intelligence professional: the blame comes to him when he's wrong, NEVER the credit when he's correct. Blame, because the story will be all over the New York Times as soon as something terrible happens due to an 'intelligence failure', and the most scathing terms will be used to describe his shortcomings that the journalist just KNOWS caused that avoidable error that ANYbody could have seen coming. And no credit because the public will likely never know when the calamity is averted, or the surprise is uncovered, or the secret revealed to the person charged with making the decisions based on the tedious work he does. Not whining, just describing the reality of this line of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
          Such is the way of the intelligence professional: the blame comes to him when he's wrong, NEVER the credit when he's correct. Blame, because the story will be all over the New York Times as soon as something terrible happens due to an 'intelligence failure', and the most scathing terms will be used to describe his shortcomings that the journalist just KNOWS caused that avoidable error that ANYbody could have seen coming. And no credit because the public will likely never know when the calamity is averted, or the surprise is uncovered, or the secret revealed to the person charged with making the decisions based on the tedious work he does. Not whining, just describing the reality of this line of work.
          Agreed Blues, A thankless job that some of us "know it alls" will never know the true realities of.
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

On the other hand ..........

We decoy'd the Germans from the Siciley defense by dropping a body with papes on their shores. We then decoy'd them again in D-Day with false radio signals so they believed Normandy was a diversion. It is possible to lay just angle irons so an attacking fighter bomber drops its load in the wrong place, not on the building they are meant for. If one plants drugs in another's car, it may be very hard to get out of that (or a false report of child sexual abuse).

And then one wants others to believe the commitment of a country based on just serial numbers? Come on, one' s going have to come up with data much better than that. We've done it to the other guy, what possibly makes one think that it can't be done to us?

Deception is so damn easy. How much does it cost to put extra antennaes of a few APC's so he can't figure out which one is the command? People tend to take just a little bit of suggestion that they run with it, believing it, without really thinking about it.

It isn't 1979, it isn't 1983, it is here and it is now. If one thinks that the world isn't too crazy about the US now, invade Iran and find out how really isolated the country can become.
            ----------------------------------------------------
            ("Good day, Mr. Jones, do you know my friend from the Hartford police department, Lt. Anderson?"--Maxine and assistant and afterwards, the CPS assistant with her asks:
            "You had me impersonate a police officer!"
            "I didn't say you were Lt. Anderson; I only asked if he knew Lt. Anderson. What he assumes is his own affair.", (w,stte), "Judging Amy")

Comment

Originally posted by SnowLeopard View Post
              And then one wants others to believe the commitment of a country based on just serial numbers? Come on, one' s going have to come up with data much better than that. We've done it to the other guy, what possibly makes one think that it can't be done to us?
              Nevermind the chemical analysis that linked it to Iranian production

Listen, I'm not gunning for a war with Iran, and I find the fact that less than a dozen cases of evidence to be weak in terms of deciding a drastic policy change, but I find the disbelief over the evidence troubling. Were you aware that chemical analysis was done linking some of the munitions shown in the slides in Baghdad back to Iran?

So, instead of engaging in a debate over potential policy courses, we're stuck on stupid arguing over only part of the evidence, and not the all of the evidence. Talk about not seeing the forest from the trees.
              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                Agreed Blues, A thankless job that some of us "know it alls" will never know the true realities of.
                Blues and DN, but please think about the positive side of not getting public credit when things go right. At that point you had your humit just right and moved in a timely fashion. You might have averted an otherwise tragic scenario. That's what really counts, and you came through for the rest of us. I would rather keep my sources and cover intact, so I can make a deeper dent the next time.

As far as the 'intelligence failure'' crap goes none of these bozos are doing what our Intel guys do.

Comment

Originally posted by shek View Post
                  Listen, I'm not gunning for a war with Iran, and I find the fact that less than a dozen cases of evidence to be weak in terms of deciding a drastic policy change, but I find the disbelief over the evidence troubling. Were you aware that chemical analysis was done linking some of the munitions shown in the slides in Baghdad back to Iran?

So, instead of engaging in a debate over potential policy courses, we're stuck on stupid arguing over only part of the evidence, and not the all of the evidence. Talk about not seeing the forest from the trees.
                  It's not enough to go to war with Iran. Attacking them would be one of the worst possible moves. If the rest of the world decides that the US is too mean of the big kid to have on the block, then they can topple the US by calling in the debt. The US threatens bombing people back to the stone age which to the American, would be terrible ....... but a lot of countries are closer to the stone age than the US. It would definetly hurt the US ........ but that hurt might be less to other countries.

Now, the above is all just an opinion, speculative. But if, say, someone who believes in a suicide run to attack the great Satan is an example of a wonderful glory, then being the sacrificial target lamb to ruin the great Satan could be one heck of a temptation. Ie, if the US attacks me, I'll die, but the world will see them for the evil they really are and they will turn against them. It may not be rational, but it can fit into the concept of an idealogical war.

Of course, that's just my humble opinion.

But war should not be the quick option. For the billions spent on this one, had it been used in ways to improve the lives of the world, the opposer might have a harder time recruiting more followers.
                  --------------------------------------------------------------
                  ("All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?"--Reg, (wtte), "Life of Brian")

Comment

Your right, its not enough to go to war with Iran, unless its total war not the namby pamby PC wars we fight now.

It wouldn't matter anyway, the U.S. can poor millions of dollars in aid to places like Indoneasia et all following a sunami yet the U.S. is evil for toppling a dictator and fumbling the ball in the aftermath.

Scathing critisism and hate for the bad, crickets chirping for the good, the later usually being the norm. Such is life for a hyperpower, often imitated never duplicated.

I'm still of the opinion that the U.S. is one of the last bastions of sanity in this F'ed up world and even then its an upkill ice scate.
                    Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by smilingassassin View Post
                      Your right, its not enough to go to war with Iran, unless its total war not the namby pamby PC wars we fight now.

It wouldn't matter anyway, the U.S. can poor millions of dollars in aid to places like Indoneasia et all following a sunami yet the U.S. is evil for toppling a dictator and fumbling the ball in the aftermath.

Scathing critisism and hate for the bad, crickets chirping for the good, the later usually being the norm. Such is life for a hyperpower, often imitated never duplicated.

I'm still of the opinion that the U.S. is one of the last bastions of sanity in this F'ed up world and even then its an upkill ice scate.
                      It's kind of hard to come out smelling like a rose when one says they did something for a good reason but it's rather obvious they did it for another reason. There are dictators around the world who probably need toppling as much as Saddam did ....... but they aren't sitting on oil.

It's kind of hard to look good when one claims one thing but does another. The US continually states it is a Christian nation but for a religion of loving another, doing good, the US isn't demonstrating it too well.

Part of intelligence is not to get caught up in one's own rhetoric. One can claim that their enemy is a coward. Okay, that's dehumanizing, that makes it easier to kill him in the eyes of the public, but don't start believing he is a coward, that he isn't human (and therefore doesn't have any wits) because he may surprise you fatally at that point.

And it can be easier to fight an enemy if one isn't doing the bad things that he is using in his rhetoric about you. It's easier to fight the evil person, easier to recruit people to that cause.

Granted, money won't solve all problems. LBJ told Ho Chi Minn that if he stopped fighting, LBJ would take all the money he was using to try to kill him and improve N. Viet Nam instead. In short, LBJ was trying to bribe him. HCM wasn't interested, he wanted a unified country. (a plausible "intelligence" flaw there in not understanding that one is dealing with a statesman (HCM) and not a politician (LBJ)).

But for one of, if not the richest country in the world to be using that money for things other than taking care of people, even its own people, it's kind of hard to support the image that "We're the good guys".
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      ("I hired you to protect my daughter from my child molesting butler, not replace him!"--Amos Hackshaw, (wtte), "Cast a Deadly Spell")

Comment

But for one of, if not the richest country in the world to be using that money for things other than taking care of people, even its own people, it's kind of hard to support the image that "We're the good guys".
                        Not to me, it's not. What a perverse worldview you must have.

Comment

We each have our own opionions, as well as other common body parts as the saying goes, and I will not debate yours. I only ask that you not insult mine as I would not insult yours.
                          ----------------------------------------------
                          ("Is she perverted like me?"--lyrics, "You Oughta Know"--Alanis Morissette)

Comment

If the rest of the world decides that the US is too mean of the big kid to have on the block, then they can topple the US by calling in the debt.
                            Explain this. It doesn't make sense from an economic standpoint.

Also, you didn't answer my question. Were you aware that most of the items in question that were presented were linked by chemical analysis?

Comment

Originally posted by shek View Post
                              Explain this. It doesn't make sense from an economic standpoint.
                              Indeed. Heck, if the Chinese want to sell off all their treasury bonds, I have no problems buying them up. A guaranteed investment at a low price? Priceless.
                              "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Working...
                              X