Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take a look at this

Public authorities: general

(1) It is unlawful for a public authority exercising a function to do any act which constitutes discrimination.

(2) In subsection (1)-

(a) "public authority" includes any person who has functions of a public nature (subject to subsections (3) and (4)), and
    (b) "function" means function of a public nature.
    (3) The prohibition in subsection (1) shall not apply to-

(a) the House of Commons,
    (b) the House of Lords,
    (c) the authorities of either House of Parliament,
    (d) the Security Service,
    (e) the Secret Intelligence Service,
    (f) the Government Communications Headquarters, or
    (g) a part of the armed forces of the Crown which is, in accordance with a requirement of the Secretary of State, assisting the Government Communications Headquarters.

So, if I become a member of Parliament I can discriminate against others without violation? The law's an ass!!!

Comment

My point exactly!
      There actually isn't a law to stop politicians from lying! So, if it is believed that Tony Blair lied about his reasons for invading Iraq (take a look at the Downing Street Memo: Downing Street memo - Wikisource) then there is no legal way in which he can be prosecuted. However, if you are an ordinary person on the street, or a business you can be prosecuted (just think of Enron). All a politician has to worry about is the election..'will I get voted in after 4years?'...well, Tony Blair is about to retire so he has nothing at all to worry about.

I found this remarkable blog: Ministry Of Truth

They are making a documentary about how politicians lie and face no consequences..it looks really good. Also, they are going to use the documentary to try and get a law passed!

Comment

guys are we really "shocked" that poliTITions lie. They also drink HORLICKS!!

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
          guys are we really "shocked" that poliTITions lie. They also drink HORLICKS!!
          "peace in our time"
          sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

So you think it is ok that politicians get away with this because they always have done?I'm not shocked, I'm sick of it, and feel like I want to try to do something about it. Slavery was around for a helluva long time, it was wrong and so something was done about it- the same could be done about our current political system

Comment

of course your not wrong GE, however slavery is still around and getting a law passed to hold politicians accountable is a no hoper I have said this before
              sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

Originally posted by green elephant View Post
                So you think it is ok that politicians get away with this because they always have done?I'm not shocked, I'm sick of it, and feel like I want to try to do something about it. Slavery was around for a helluva long time, it was wrong and so something was done about it- the same could be done about our current political system
                The problem is you will never vote them all out at the same time, well not using a democratic process anyway.
                There will always be those that see no wrong in them or what they do, or that the end justifies the means. Then you have those outside of politics that benefit from association, thus the funding.
                Those who think that Politicians are accountable are fooling themselves, what other democratically elected body gets to vote on their own pay, holiday, expence and pension benefits?
                Even under a fuedal system, there was someone on the make.
                I can't think of a viable solution, no matter who gets voted in the end result will be the same - power corrupts.
                Unless you live on an island, totally self sufficient and far enough from anyones influence you're stuffed.
                Join the Army! Travel to exotic, distant lands and sweep it!

Comment

Originally posted by Ex MIB View Post
                  Even under a fuedal system, there was someone on the make.
                  I can't think of a viable solution, no matter who gets voted in the end result will be the same - power corrupts.
                  Unless you live on an island, totally self sufficient and far enough from anyones influence you're stuffed.
                  This is why communism works on paper, but fails in reality - there will always be the leaders and the followers and as ex-MIB states, power corrupts.

Comment

I agree, but I still think that systems can be chiselled here and there to make them a little less corrupt

Comment

I might go and live on an island :-)

Comment

Politicians are like barnacle. They are a important part of the ecosystem but if you don't scrape them off your hull every now and then they will make your ship un seaworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Callmecur View Post
                          So, if I become a member of Parliament I can discriminate against others without violation? The law's an ass!!!
                          One could argue that just about every member of your parliament is guilty of some kind of discrimination. Cleaning house would probably do the British people a favor.
                          F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by BenRoethig View Post
                            One could argue that just about every member of your parliament is guilty of some kind of discrimination. Cleaning house would probably do the British people a favor.
                            A nuke on the House of Commons will suffice - any offers...;)

Comment

Originally posted by BenRoethig View Post
                              I do agree, but can you say your house, senate and seat of power (the White House) is totally free of discrimanation?............if so then I made the wrong choice deciding to live in Canada, I should have gone south of the 49
                              sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

Working...
                              X