• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking News: Slavery praised on show

lol

New Race Row For C4
    Updated: 16:29, Monday January 22, 2007

Channel 4 has become embroiled in a new race row after complaints about racist comments on reality show Shipwrecked.

A contestant made offensive remarks about black people, as well as gay and fat people.

Media regulator Ofcom said it received 46 complaints about the programme, in which young people compete on two desert islands in the South Pacific.

Public schoolgirl Lucy Buchanan, 18, from York, praised slavery on Shipwrecked and said she would get a black person to do her "slave work".

It follows thousands of complaints over alleged racist bullying on C4's other reality show Celebrity Big Brother.

More to follow...

Sky News: UK News, World News and Business News. The First for breaking global News!

Oh God no , not another one , channel 4 should be shipwrecked , except for the dispatches prog .
    Last edited by tankie; 22 Jan 07,, 18:12.

Comment

LOL, Is channel 4 is specializing in recruiting wackos for their shows?

Comment

Originally posted by kams View Post
        LOL, Is channel 4 is specializing in recruiting wackos for their shows?
        They seem to have cornered the market in tasteless junk! The thing is, I bet they are pleased with themselves and convinced that they are in the vanguard of TV progress and that their ideas are 'liberating' for the rest of us!
        Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Good grief!

It seems to have caught on.

Real sad sacks!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Excerpt from the news report.

A C4 spokeswoman said the comments - which were filmed five months ago - came from a "very young woman" who had led a "closeted existence".

After interacting with the other contestants, Lucy changes her view, the spokeswoman continued.

She added: "Other contestants reprimand her and say they disagree with her.

"Over the course of the series it becomes clear that her views change. It is quite a justified portrayal."
            This is disgusting. Whom should we send for a pschycological evaluation, contestant or the producer. From the above quote is evident that you guys will continue to get a steady dose of crap over an extended period of time (till the contestant changes her view). Next show may have another 'old man' fantasizing about black young kids .

Comment

Dear lord, not another one!

Comment

All the best to you UK chaps!

Comment

England swings like a pendulum do,
                  Bobbies on bicycles, two by two,
                  Westminster Abbey the tower of Big Ben,
                  The rosy red cheeks of the little children.

Now, if you huff and puff and you fina'lly save enough
                  Money up to take your family on a trip across the sea,
                  Take a tip before you take your trip; let me tell you where to go,
                  Go to Engeland, Oh;

Mama's old pajamas and your papa's mustache,
                  Falling out the window sill, frolic in the grass,
                  Tryin' to mock the way they talk fun but all in vain,
                  Gaping at the dapper men with derby hats and canes

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

If only you guys could learn to play Cricket, no one would be watching these shows (atleat very few would be watching).

Comment

Excerpt from the news report.

This is disgusting. Whom should we send for a pschycological evaluation, contestant or the producer. From the above quote is evident that you guys will continue to get a steady dose of crap over an extended period of time (till the contestant changes her view). Next show may have another 'old man' fantasizing about black young kids .
                      Ah, the wonderful world of television! When Lord Reith set up the BBC, he said it was to entertain and inform the public. I wish he had put that the other way round. The visual media that could offer so much has degenerated into crass banality. The plethora of commercial TV stations with 24 hours a day broadcasting means that producers are having to look for inspiration in places they should not go near. However, that said, if this means another topic of prolonged *****ing on WAB from those who did so much pointless howling about Big Brother, then I shall consider myself free to moan in an equally ignorant and persistant way about events in their countries? Only fair, isn't it?
                      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

If only you guys could learn to play Cricket, no one would be watching these shows (atleat very few would be watching).
                        Kams as a rule , not many people did watch it , its same as the cricket we have played recently , CRAP

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                          However, that said, if this means another topic of prolonged *****ing on WAB from those who did so much pointless howling about Big Brother, then I shall consider myself free to moan in an equally ignorant and persistant way about events in their countries? Only fair, isn't it?
                          Why not? I am all for it. In fact love to hear about what you guys think about my country.:)

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                            Kams as a rule , not many people did watch it , its same as the cricket we have played recently , CRAP
                            BTw...I read somewhere that the top sport in UK is greyhound racing/bulldog racing/whatever...is it?

I thought football was pretty popular there particularly with so colourful England managers around;) !Compared to that Steve McLaren is frankly a bore!

Comment

Originally posted by MarquezRazor View Post
                              BTw...I read somewhere that the top sport in UK is greyhound racing/bulldog racing/whatever...is it?

I thought football was pretty popular there particularly with so colourful England managers around;) !Compared to that Steve McLaren is frankly a bore!
                              The most participating sport is angling with over 6 million taking part every week, with football the most watched , and greyhound racing the most fixed , along ( with horse racing ).

Your views on Mclaren are shared by many , especially Glyn as he loves football .

Comment

Working...
                              X