X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillary Clinton joins 2008 race

Hillary Clinton joins 2008 race
    Ms Clinton would become the US' first female president
    Democratic Senator Hillary Clinton has taken the first step towards running for the US presidency in 2008.
    Ms Clinton, 59, wife of former president Bill, announced her move on her website, saying "I'm in to win".

The former First Lady has set up a presidential exploratory committee, testing the waters for a full bid.

Her announcement comes days after African-American Democratic Senator Barack Obama said he had formed an exploratory committee.

Only a new president can regain America's position as a respected leader in the world

Hillary Clinton statement

In a videotaped and written message on her website, Ms Clinton said it was time "to overcome six years of Bush administration failures.

"The stakes will be high when America chooses a new president in 2008," she said.

"Only a new president can regain America's position as a respected leader in the world.

"This is a big election with some very big questions. How do we bring the war in Iraq to the right end?" she asked, in addition to mentioning several domestic issues, including health care, the environment and "energy independence".

Ms Clinton said she planned to answer questions in web chats on three consecutive nights, starting on Monday.

Her announcement brings to five the number of Democratic presidential hopefuls.

'Front runner'

Ms Clinton would become the first First Lady to seek presidential office, while Mr Obama's entry into the race would raise the possibility of the US having its first black president.

HILLARY CLINTON
    Former Arkansas lawyer
    Former First Lady
    Two-time New York senator
    Mr Obama is one of the Democratic Party's rising stars, having electrified the 2004 Democratic convention with a powerful speech.

Ms Clinton is currently serving as a senator for New York, having won a second term by a landslide last November.

Correspondents say that her unbeatable name recognition and unmatched fundraising ability make her a clear front runner for the Democrats.

Yet she is also seen as a divisive figure. Some estimates say one in three Americans would never vote for her.

Ms Clinton's decision in 2002 to vote in favour of military action against Iraq angered many Democrat supporters but she has since become a vocal critic of President George Bush's handling of the conflict

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Hillary Clinton joins 2008 race

Saw it on TV.

Quite gleeful!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Heh, he. :)

Comment

She is 59? Looks like crap......and more like 79.
        Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Ah, so that was the disturbance in the Force I felt this morning.

Oh well. What's the worst that could happen? We all die, and there's nothing left to worry about.
          "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
            She is 59? Looks like crap......and more like 79.
            The upside of that is we wouldn't have to worry about extra-marital affairs while she is in office?

Comment

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                The upside of that is we wouldn't have to worry about extra-marital affairs while she is in office?
                Please. That chuckhole dried up and blew away decades ago.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                  Please. That chuckhole dried up and blew away decades ago.

-dale
                  LOL....she might have blew away, but she obviously blew back around.

Comment

Awesome!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Well...at least this won't be a repeat of the boring 1996 elections where maybe a dozen people showed up to vote.

Having said that, this is going to be a really ugly brawl, mark my words.
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I love to follow the US elections.

It is so much fun and we get to know of the bedroom antics, the genealogy, who drank himself to death and then reformed to be a Born Again, who did not mention his great grandfather's little brother was a Moslem, who forgot to mention his mother was actually a Jew and yet a Christian or that he was a failed rodeo artist turned actor or was a coc-ckeye chap who had an operation to look and think straight......... :)

Man, what a show!

Compared to th US elections, in India crooks can get elected without anyone knowing that they are crooks! Why, just today I read that a Member of the Indian Parliament is actually a Nepalese!

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

What a sad day for American politics and the democratic party. She just doomed her party to be second place in the presidential election for the third time in a row.
                          Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                            Not hers anyway, that husband is another - "affair" I don't believe anything dried up and fell off or blew away on that fellow. Maybe one of the first things Hillary would have to do if she won the president slot is get rid of all the female staff . Oh wait, then she would have to rid all women from Washington DC, then from the entire country......now that just wouldn't be pretty.
                            Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                              Well...at least this won't be a repeat of the boring 1996 elections where maybe a dozen people showed up to vote.

Having said that, this is going to be a really ugly brawl, mark my words.
                              Believe you are on the correct track

Comment

Working...
                              X