30/30 Winchester question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30/30 Winchester question

Can a 30/30 Winchester bullet penetrate a kevlar bullet proof vest like the kind used by the US Army and the cops?

Originally posted by ChrisF202
    Can a 30/30 Winchester bullet penetrate a kevlar bullet proof vest like the kind used by the US Army and the cops?
    It shouldn't. All .3030Win ammo I know are soft nose.

Comment

Depends on the vest. The older PASGT Kevlar yes, the new Interceptor, no.

As far as a cop vest, it will penetrate anything less than a Class IV ceramic trauma plate....which most cops do not use.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
        Depends on the vest. The older PASGT Kevlar yes, the new Interceptor, no.

As far as a cop vest, it will penetrate anything less than a Class IV ceramic trauma plate....which most cops do not use.
        Soft nose can do that?

Comment

Yes sir.

Comment

Thanks for the replys, no I dont plan on going out and getting in a shootout with the cops or National Guard. It was just a question out of curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by M21Sniper
              Yes sir.
              Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. Thought that if a .3030 won't take down a grizzly, it wouldn't do much to kevlar. Now, where's the banana?

Comment

this is off topic, but sort of close:

the new kevlar helmets utilized by US forces, can they stop assault rifle rounds, such as 7.62mm. if so, how much more can they stop?

Comment

They(the new vests and helmets) are rated to 7.62x39, NOT 7.62x51 NATO.

7.62x39 is actually pretty close ballistically to .30-30 Winchester.

Comment

this reveals my lack of fire arm knowledge; however,

they can't stop 7.62 NATO, but they can stop 7.66 rounds from Kalashnikovs?
                    how is that? the 7.66 seems larger round.

also, why did they implement vests and kevlar that can't stop NATO rounds?

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Lolan
                      this reveals my lack of fire arm knowledge; however,

they can't stop 7.62 NATO, but they can stop 7.66 rounds from Kalashnikovs?
                      It would be 7.62x39, like from an AK-47. ;)
                      No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                      I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                      even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                      He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

lol, ty

Comment

Historically, and this has held true in modern war, some 85% of all casualties are caused by artillery.

So the first thing to do was get the troops into vests that would stop shell fragments. We managed that in the Vietnam era. That stuff was synthetic nylon-like filler, and the vests actually made for pretty good pillows in the field, lol. It was the best stuff at the time, but it wouldn't even stop pistol bullets.

Fast forward to the late 70s/early 80s and Kevlar was introduced. It was a quantum leap over the old ballistic filler, and now modern kevlar vests will stop .44 magnum fire. There are two kinds of Kevlar, soft and hard. Hard is more effective, but it is bulky, heavy, and more expensive. Most civilian vests(including cops who are also civilians) are soft Kevlar. The best currently available soft Kevlar vests are Class IIIA, which are rated to stop up to 240gr JSP .44 magnum fire or a 12 gauge- slug or 00 Buck.
                          These vests are augmented with a fwd and rear ceramic trauma plate(these cost big bucks), which are rated to stop anything up to .30-06 Armor piercing rounds. .30-06 AP is about 35% more powerful than NATO 7.62, which itself is about 30% more powerful than the Russian 7.62x39 cartridge.

The military Kevlar PASGT vest and helmet consist of hard kevlar plate, and have actually stopped 7.62x39 rounds in actual combat- but they cannot be counted on to always stop 7.62x39. Range and angle of impact are the key factors.

The new Interceptor vest is made up of some new kevlar composition and is claimed to stop 7.62x39 from 0/0- or Zero deflection/Zero range. IOW, you can supposedly put an AK-47 right up to the vest and fire, and the vest is supposed to stop the round everytime. Personally, i wouldn't want to test that theory, but regardless it's the best that's available at this time.

The US Army has been working for many years with a certain kind of synthetic spider silk that is many times stronger than Kevlar, but is still very expensive to manufacture. There is also a deformable liquid filled vest that shows promise. I think that was a Euro invention.

I own two vests for my line of work, a SafariLand Class IIIA with Class IV trauma plates and a US Armor Class IIIA with Class IV trauma plates. They weigh about 8 pounds(about 4 kilos), and are definitely uncomfortable, but you get used to them after a while. The main thing is that they work.

Comment

may I inquire what is your line of work?

Comment

Repossesser.

Comment

Working...
                              X