X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgiveness: Lambs for Lives

Victims' families forgive govt: Shelling on jirga

By Our Correspondent

WANA, Oct 30: Families of the 15 people killed in artillery shelling at Spinkay Raghzay accepted the request of a Mehsud tribal jirga on Saturday to forgive the government.

The jirga, comprising about 200 elders of the Mehsud tribe, also paid Rs700,000 compensation to each family: Rs500,000 on behalf of the political authorities and Rs200,000 from the corps commander Peshawar, Lt-Gen Safdar Hussain.

Reciprocating the government's goodwill gesture, the Mehsud tribe announced that it would cooperate with the security forces to resume search for foreign militants in the Spinkay Raghzay area.

The search operation was suspended when artillery shells hit a pro-government jirga in the Sheikh Ziarat area on Oct 26, 2004, killing 15 persons and injuring 13 others. Earlier, army troops had denied the responsibility and held militants responsible for the act.

The assistant political agent, sub-division Laddah, South Waziristan region, Naveed Arshad, and other officials also accompanied the Mehsud jirga.

A member of the jirga told Dawnthat the local authorities also paid Rs200,000 on behalf of the government and Rs 100,000 on behalf of the corps commander for each of the 13 wounded while offered the job of Class-IV to the victims' families.

In accordance with the tribal tradition, 11 lambs were also taken by the jirga and presented to the victims' families as a Nanawathi.

http://www.dawn.com/2004/10/31/top7.htm
    I really appreciate this quaint custom of forgiveness where lambs and money are exchanged for human lives killed.

I believe in Iraq 100,000 have died since the occupation. I think all would be well if 1100,000 lambs and money equivalent of Rs 300,000 per person killed could be paid.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Gotta love the retardedness in modern reporting. Anyone's going to bother to report that the deaths were a mistake and not in cold blood? If anyone holds the blame its the terrorists hiding in there.

The army has stretched itself taking restraints and taking hits on itself. These reporters are turning the situation at Wana similar to the Vietnam war, where some people's "Pussification", ended up costing more human lives.

Comment

And i realise media ,worldover are run by morons and more moronic are people who write and report.

JMT

Comment

Well, it seems unanimous, the media is run by morons....
        Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

As far as I knew, the shelling was done by rebel militants on a gathering of tribal elders discussing how to capture Abdullah Mehsud.

Comment

Working...
          X