Meteorite plunges into New Jersey bathroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meteorite plunges into New Jersey bathroom

FREEHOLD TOWNSHIP, N.J. -- After finding a hole in the roof, debris in the bathroom and a strange rock near the toilet, the Nageswaran family realized they needed an astronomer, not a contractor, to fully explain what damaged their house.

Scientists determined that a meteorite had crashed into their central New Jersey home more than a week ago.

On the night of Jan. 2, Srinivasan Nageswaran walked into his bathroom and spotted a hole in the ceiling and chunks of drywall and insulation on the floor.

His mother, who has been staying with the family, recalled that she had heard a loud boom a few hours earlier and thought it was a post-New Year's fireworks explosion. But that didn't explain the mess.

The family initially thought an old patch job in the ceiling had come loose. But then Shankari Nageswaran, Srinivasan's wife, noticed that on the floor directly below the hole the tile was dented and that there was another dent on the wall. Near the back of the toilet, she found a metallic, golf ball-size rock.

Her husband shined a flashlight through the hole in the ceiling, then stuck a long stick in, and realized there was another hole in the roof. Two geologists from Rutgers University and an independent metallurgist concluded that the rock was an iron meteorite.

About 50 meteorites reach the Earth's surface each year, but there is only one report every year or two of meteorites hitting buildings, said Tim McCoy, curator of the Smithsonian Institution's meteorite collection.
    What are the odds of your home getting hit by a meteorite? Nagarajan Family should buying lottery, odds of hitting a jackpot are much better .

They are lucky it was only a small meteor.

Several years ago, a TV crew at a football game recorded a meteor breaking up on its descent. A few minutes later the Police received a vandalism call that somebody threw a rock at a car. When police reported, the car in the driveway had a hole THROUGH the trunk lid and THROUGH the bottom panel. They found a football sized meteorite under the car --- still warm to the touch.

A couple of years ago a meteor struck a driveway (with no cars in it). The elderly woman who lived there with her daughter heard a boom (meteor slowing down through the sound barrier) and then felt the house jump a bit when it hit the driveway. The lady was a veteran of WW II during the German bombings of London and yelled, "We've been Blitzed."
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Must be a rare event considering only 50 /yr hit earth...most of them must be falling in the Oceans!

Comment

As a great way to die, NOTHING would beat a direct hit by God's cosmic beanball: a metorite, coming from a zillion miles away, and dead-centers you in the nasal cavity. MAN, that would be AWESOME.

And I guarantee that anybody that saw it would remember you long after they'd forgotten their own kids' names.

I don't want to go anytime soon, but as soon as my crank stops working or I'm crapping my pants, Lord, consider me as crowding the strike zone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
          a metorite, coming from a zillion miles away, and dead-centers you in the nasal cavity.
          That would occur only when you are lookin at the sky in the morning and thinkin.."hmmm today the weather is perfect lemme have some juice and go for a run.."...and then BAMMMM!....you are the juice!

Comment

Originally posted by MarquezRazor View Post
            That would occur only when you are lookin at the sky in the morning and thinkin.."hmmm today the weather is perfect lemme have some juice and go for a run.."...and then BAMMMM!....you are the juice!
            Wellll, you could go around wearing a helmet all the time. We wear helmets, on New Year's Eve.

Comment

As a great way to die, NOTHING would beat a direct hit by God's cosmic beanball: a metorite, coming from a zillion miles away, and dead-centers you in the nasal cavity. MAN, that would be AWESOME.

And I guarantee that anybody that saw it would remember you long after they'd forgotten their own kids' names.

I don't want to go anytime soon, but as soon as my crank stops working or I'm crapping my pants, Lord, consider me as crowding the strike zone.

Bluesman what an imagination . Just wondering where did it originate from (idea, not meteorite),

Comment

Hbo

Originally posted by kams View Post
                Bluesman what an imagination . Just wondering where did it originate from (idea, not meteorite),
                Ever watch the show "Dead Like Me"? The star becomes a "grim reaper" who helps collect peoples souls when they die. She becomes one after being hit by a metorite in downtown Seattle. Entertaining with lots of social commentary.
                Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                  Ever watch the show "Dead Like Me"? The star becomes a "grim reaper" who helps collect peoples souls when they die. She becomes one after being hit by a metorite in downtown Seattle. Entertaining with lots of social commentary.
                  Actually, I came up with that WAY before the writers did.

Here's an old thread where I said essentially the same thang.

Comment

As a great way to die, NOTHING would beat a direct hit by God's cosmic beanball: a metorite, coming from a zillion miles away, and dead-centers you in the nasal cavity. MAN, that would be AWESOME. .
                    Ah. NOW I remember why that's so familiar.

George C. Scott (as General George S. Patton) telling Karl Malden (as General Omar Bradley) that watching an enemy bullet coming straight at his nose would be the way to go.

And Gen. Bradley replied, "And such a fine nose too."

Comment

Closest I've come is getting shat on the head by a seagull, right in the middle of landing a kahwai.

Somehow doesn't have the same romance about it....
                      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Indians watch out!

God appears to be against us Indians! :)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

What amuses me is the journalist or sub editor using the phrase 'plunges into'. There aren't too many ascending meteorites causing damage to bathrooms!
                          Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bluesman;326971]As a great way to die, NOTHING would beat a direct hit by God's cosmic beanball: a metorite, coming from a zillion miles away, and dead-centers you in the nasal cavity. MAN, that would be AWESOME.

LOL now we have it all , a meteOrite with a mileometer on board , which can count up to a zillion ? wowee :but i must agree ,it cures you of sitting at traffic lights pickin yer nose

very true B/man , as no,ones forgot about the EXTINCT DINASOURS yet ,and after that performance against the ozzy cricket team , no,one will either

QUOTE]
                            Last edited by tankie; 18 Jan 07,, 12:49.

Comment

Originally posted by MarquezRazor View Post
                              Must be a rare event considering only 50 /yr hit earth...most of them must be falling in the Oceans!
                              Only 50! I saw more than that in one hour last November!!! Do you actually mean only 50 a year reach the ground?

I bet it wasn't the only thing that got plunged into in New Jersey that night!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X