No announcement yet.

Why exactly does the world favor Kerry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why exactly does the world favor Kerry?

I don't really get it, his policies don't differ very much from Bush's on for policy. Is it the talking points? Does he make Europe feel better? To me, they don't differ very much on any issues. Bush is aganist aboriton, okay but that won't get pass the judicary. Kerry is for more progressive taxation, sure but he won't really abandon the free enterprise system. So to me its really a mystery why everyone is so wired for this.

In Australia, people arent looking at all your policies...they are looking at the person.

The general public here view Bush as an idiot, who cant read and cant make any decisions without people around him. They see this and say, "what the hell is with this guy??? This guy is going to be leader of our main ally??? I dont trust this guy"
    FORZA JUVENTUS TORINO 1897

Comment

Its probably got alot to do with the baggage that surrounds Bush. Kerry doesn't have fanatical Baptists religious core following him does he? ;) He also doesn't have loonies like Rummy, Wolfie and Pearl. These are the people who keep me awake at night worring about what moronic invasion is being dreamed up next.
      The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no
      longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident
      that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

Comment

So it comes from paranoia within a pacificist leaning political culture?

Comment

I think Davor and Seeker are right when they reference George W Bush. He does not inspire confidence in countries other than the US. The results of opinion poles from other countries, including my NZ, does seem to suggest that Kerry is the preferred choice (even the Canadians support Kerry over Bush - according to the Fox News report I taped overnight; and your other ally in Britain also supports Kerry, I believe) of most of the world.

Issues such as the Kyoto accord on climate change, International criminal court, and the latest Iraq war are viewed as Bush Administration mistakes in many places outside of the US.

NZ likes a good war eg having SAS troops still in Afganistan (as well as a provincial reconstruction team in the area where the Taliban blew up those Bhuddas), but prefers them mandated through the UN (an argument we have had on other message boards and probably don't need a rehashing here - sorry).

For the US the only point of view that is important on Bush vs. Kerry is your point of view. We can't vote (nor should we).

Comment

Kyoto and the ICC are non-starters as the Senate soundly rejected Kyoto 95 to 0 and the ICC having very little vocal support as it fails to provide the same protections as the US constitution and is viewed as a kangaroo court by many in congress, don't know how Bush can be blamed for that.

Also you mentioned of a UN commanded force, i'm not too sure thats constitutional, US forces under non-US command that is.

Comment

Does President Bush have a point of view on Kyoto and the ICC? I realise the President is not all powerful but surely if he was in favour of them he could command some support. Are 100% of Americans against Kyoto and the ICC? The 95-0 figure seems high to me.

Perhaps we just find it is easier to blame your leader than the less than 50% that voted for him in the last election.

Comment

Sure, he has an opinion, granted.

The article:
                "Voting 95 to 0, the Senate approved a resolution urging the Clinton
                administration not to sign the proposed climate-change pact later
                this year in Kyoto, Japan, if it exempts developing countries from
                pollution limits imposed on industrialized nations and if it would
                result in "serious harm" to the American economy."

http://144.16.65.194/hpg/envis/doc97...obalus727.html

Co-sponsered by a democrat, in fact. Hehe, from a coal producing state if you're wondering.

Political system isn't that similer, the party whips here have a lot less power.

But your point on less then 50% is valid, but nevertheless he is our leader constitutionally. I don't support him on all things, i would like to see tougher emissions standards, I would like to see less of a deficit, i would like to see a clearer plan for Iraq. And some health care reform. Heck I'm still undecided on who to vote for, but i still take offense when he's insulted in such ways as calling him dumb, which to me seem uncalled for given he's a Andover Academy, Yale BA and Harvard MBA graduate. Hope you can see where i'm coming from.

Comment

I do understand your point, Gio,and thank you for your link.

No-one likes it when their leader is insulted. Even though we have personal opinions about your President's intelligence it is mainly based on his command of the English language at press conferences (and when he makes sense we are less likely to see it on the news!). I'm sure if I knew I was always talking to tens of millions of people I would get nervous and make mistakes (I recently spoke in front of about 80 strangers at a prize giving and my hands were definitely moist).

A leader is often seen as being the representative of his country. And when the country has a position we may think it is the Presidents fault. I definitely did not know about the senate vote you referenced (thanks).

I accept if we looked at John Kerry closer we could all find things we don't like. I'm not sure of his trade policies. He might make the US more protectionist on some trade issues which could hurt NZ more than George Bush's position.

Cheers

Comment

There are many reasons why SOME foreigners like Kerry.

1. Bush talks down to people as if the people don't understand anything.
                    2. He is too aggressive. He appears like the mock heroics of the WWF wrestlers before the match.
                    3. He is a little short on logic.
                    4. Too evangelistic in approach. That scares!
                    5. More than him, his assistants Cheney and Rumsfeld appear as if they have a personal axe to grind and not concerned about the Nation per se, except for patriotic rhetoric.

Well there are many more.

Still, he gets away since he appears genuine. In fact, appearing dumb whips up sympathy. I don't think he is an idiot.

Kerry? Don't know him. Therefore, can't dislike or like him.
                    Last edited by Ray; 05 Oct 04,, 09:42.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Gio,

Anyone would not like a foreigner to call his President or Prime Minister dumb.

Unfortuantely, since the US is the world and every country revolves around it, wily nily, the US somehow has become everybody's Big Brother and is taken as near bred. I am not an American, but somehow I feel I am more close to the US than let us say my neighbour Pakistan or China. Hence, like it or not, I feel I ahve a lein over Bush. Iloogical, but then that is how it is!

Hence, we are more free with our comments on the US than on any other country.

Degrees is actually not the test of intelligence. Therefore, Bush's degrees bely what he speaks.

He messed up the first debate.

Yet the next day, he was so full of logic.

That gives an impression that he has no mind of his own. He requires his advisors at hand to help him out. This may not be true. But compare his TV appearance and the content vs the miserable floundering and fidgetting during the debate apaert from being repetitive like a worn out record.

He was a sure let down to me. I choked with embarrassment. And to believe I kept awake throughout the night, just to root for him!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

It's like picking a puppy from a litter of runts. I cry at night when I think about the fact that I have to vote for Kerry. I think he's a moron. However...to vote for George is an afront to world opinion. The man just led us into an unjust war against a country that does not have wmd's. What's even worse is that he is steadfast in his belief that knowing that Iraq does not posses such weapons, he would still have invaded. Was this supposed to be his reaction to 9/11? I'm sorry, I forget...how many hijackers were from Iraq again? Oh that right, none of them! I seem to recall that nearly all of them were Saudi. hmmmmm, gosh we can't do anything to the Saudis, we just had them over for dinner and a movie!

Bottom line. We invaded Iraq in order to install democracy. We did so by completely dismissing the democratic process of the UN. Isn't that a little concerning to anyone else? I've never heard anyone else bring it up. Why is that? Can anyone else out there see the hypocracy, or am I alone in my apparent insanity?

Comment

Fon,

All politicians are runts.

You have to select the best runt to your opinion.

Cheney is the biggest runt, though I like Bush. This silly Cheney runt is giving the impression that he calls the shots. Dumbell.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

We did so by completely dismissing the democratic process of the UN.
                            How is the UN process democratic? It is mostly made up of dictators who claim to represent their nations. Why should they get to decide the policies of other countries? If all dictatorships were barred from the UN, then the US might be violating some principle of democracy, although even then, its not like the UN is a government.

Comment

I feel it is not just Bush vs. Cheney. The American people has seen four years of the results of Bush, as well as his administration, and they just probably don't think they are going to be any better off in four years. We can't proceed into the future by walking backwards.

Comment

Working...
                              X