Life insurance suicide exclusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life insurance suicide exclusion

I had someone tell me that their insurance company still paid out in case of suicide. There was a time exclusion (I don't know how long). The agent was reluctant to discuss the issue but did confirm it. It sounds like this could have some potential for abuse which would explain the agents reluctance to discuss it.

Now I'm curious. I'm not planing on committing suicide any time soon although there are a couple people I wouldn't mind assisting.;) Has anyone heard anything about this? I
    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

My guess is that this payout was based on a legal case. If it is proven that a person is mentally ill, then the argument would be "the person died of a medical condition". ???

Just a guess

Comment

Insuance

Most companies have exclusionary periods for suicide. Usually two years. That may be based on law, but I couldn't direct you to a source. But rule of thumb, they aren't required to pay out, and most won't, if the applicant suicides within two years of issuance.

d
      Relax. It's worse than you think.

Comment

Working...
      X