This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What country are you from?

Pretty straight forward, answer it with whatever you feel is appropriate (nationality, origin etc)
    Australia
    7.37%
    America
    24.21%
    Canada
    10.53%
    China
    3.16%
    India
    22.63%
    Israel
    0.53%
    Pakistan
    3.68%
    Russia
    3.68%
    United Kingdom
    9.47%
    Other
    13.16%
    Ireland
    1.58%

I am from the United States. I am also of Indian origin.
    Am out of town for a while and then have tons of work coming up at school. Will be back once that's all done.

Comment

Naturalized? Or were your parents Naturalized?

Comment

My maternal grandparents came here in the late 1950s, with my mother being born in the US and living there until she was 11, when the family moved back to India (where she held dual-citizenship). She married my father in India and moved back to the US (where my father later became a citizen) after finishing medical school. I was born and have lived my entire life in the US (and hold only US citizenship). I still haven't decided whether that makes me a 1st or 2nd or whatever generation American.
        Am out of town for a while and then have tons of work coming up at school. Will be back once that's all done.

Comment

Born and bred in America

Comment

I was born in Gremany, to a mother that crossed her legs for 45 extra minutes just to make sure I was born in the US Army hospital. She didn't want anyone to be able to accuse me of being German. ;)
            No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
            I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
            even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
            He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
              I was born in Gremany, to a mother that crossed her legs for 45 extra minutes just to make sure I was born in the US Army hospital. She didn't want anyone to be able to accuse me of being German. ;)
              Heh, I've known a few people born in Germany to American parents with the father in the military.
              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Aussie. Most of my ancestors came over on the first fleet.
                SWANSEA 'TILL I DIE! - CARN THE CROWS!

Rule Britannia, No Surrender

Staff Cadet in the Australian Army Reserve.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke
                  Heh, I've known a few people born in Germany to American parents with the father in the military.
                  That's me too! :)
                  No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                  I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                  even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                  He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Ziska
                    Aussie. Most of my ancestors came over on the first fleet.
                    So basically your ancestors were convicts

Comment

Actually, I'm one of the few anglo aussies not descended from convicts. My ancestors were marines, and I'm also from South Australia, the only state never to recieve any convicts.

I'm sure I do have some convict descent, not that it matters. I mean, its not like we haven't done well for ourselves.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Aussie here!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ziska
                          I'm sure I do have some convict descent, not that it matters. I mean, its not like we haven't done well for ourselves.
                          Yes, Australia is a rare example of a jail where rehabilitation has actually worked.

Comment

Well, the transporters (ie, the english) looked at transportation as more of a reform system than a form of punishment. I mean, when they ran out of prisoners to send, they sent regular poor people. Essentially, they grabbed a whole lot of the bottom level of society, lawbreaker or no, and shipped them out here.

Convicts were an important source of labour, but far and away, most of the immigrants here were free. The Goldrush was especially a big factor.

Soli Deo Gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Aryan
                              Yes, Australia is a rare example of a jail where rehabilitation has actually worked.
                              Well Australia wasn't all convicts, there were free settlers and sailors, soldiers etc amongst the first to land in our nation as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X