Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new low in Commons language?

A new low in Commons language?

So it is official, the word "tosser" is acceptable parliamentary language.

That is the case after Commons Speaker Michael Martin failed to step in when deputy prime minister John Prescott spat the insult across the despatch box at William Hague and the entire Tory party.

Considering some of the words that have been deemed unparliamentary in the past - dishonourable, drunk, liar, hypocrite to name but a few - it came as a bit of a surprise to many MPs that Mr Martin will now allow them to call each other tossers whenever the mood takes them.

I dread to think where it will all end. And, it has to be said, it was not a pretty or enlightening sight.

Of course it was the Tories who started it with an anti-debt advertising campaign urging young people to "ignore the tosser in you".

Now, that may well be a word in common usage but you do wonder if the Tory admen know what it means.

They claim they are using it in the old sense, meaning spendthrift, or something like it. But we all know what it means nowadays, and it is more likely the Tories are using it in attempt to boost their street cred.

Hand gestures

We certainly all knew what Mr Prescott meant, and anyone still unsure was helped out by some MPs offering graphic, descriptive hand gestures.

It all kicked off when William Hague started his now traditional, mocking approach to Mr Prescott during question time - something that really gets under Prezza's nose.

He asked Mr Prescott how much Gordon Brown had "robbed" from people's pension funds and reminded him that the greatest pensions fraud was perpetrated by former Labour MP Robert Maxwell.

When the deputy prime minister could not answer, Mr Hague wondered why taxpayers were spending £2 million a year keeping him in his job.

This time, the deputy prime minister was ready with his answer.

And it basically amounted to telling Mr Hague "you are a tosser and so are all the tossers sitting alongside you".

The deputy prime minister said he believed the Tories had brought in "Mr Tosser" to help them in their ad campaign.

"I do not know which person this man was modelled on from the Tory frontbench.

"But let me tell him, I always thought that party was full of them and that is why they lost three elections".

Speaker Martin - who recently tried to ban the Tory leader from asking questions about who the next prime minister might be - said nothing. Indeed, he smiled.

And that has given the green light to "tossers".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6195104.stm
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

There are much more inventive insults, without being reduced to swearing..

Tool, spanner, spoon and muppet are my non-swearing favourites. If insulting William Hague - egghead would apposite. If insulting Prescott, an old favourite.. "you philandering tub-of-lard"... (allegedly).

Comment

Originally posted by PubFather View Post
      There are much more inventive insults, without being reduced to swearing..

Tool, spanner, spoon and muppet are my non-swearing favourites. If insulting William Hague - egghead would apposite. If insulting Prescott, an old favourite.. "you philandering tub-of-lard"... (allegedly).
      True, true and spoken with a mouthful of teeth, but is 'tosser' really a swear word? A pejorative term I'll grant you when used as a noun, but hardly a swear word in my book. (That book contains very few words).
      Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
        (That book contains very few words).
        Dare I suggest you need to get hold of a copy of the Profanasaurus?
        Rule 1: Never trust a Frenchman
        Rule 2: Treat all members of the press as French

Comment

To be honest if Prescott had said it to a Lib Dem it would be an insult. Given that the tories have their tosser video out then what do they expect?

If the tories are gonna float the ball across the box, someone is going to knock it in.
          at

Comment

What's the tosser video?
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by pdf27 View Post
              Dare I suggest you need to get hold of a copy of the Profanasaurus?
              Is there such a book? I've been having to use old favourite phrases like 'Lackwit Bumpkin' when I can't create anything of my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                What's the tosser video?
                Don't go there. Trust me. It is a political party appealing to the uncommited youth to favour them at election time, and to that end have made a video to gain them the necessary street cred. Will it succeed? Bahahaha, I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by glyn View Post
                  Is there such a book? I've been having to use old favourite phrases like 'Lackwit Bumpkin' when I can't create anything of my own.
                  http://www.viz.co.uk/?%2Fprofanisaur...x.php%3Ffb%3D1

Not sure where you can get hold of hard copies from though - got a feeling Viz used to publish them back in the 1990s when they actually had readers.
                  Rule 1: Never trust a Frenchman
                  Rule 2: Treat all members of the press as French

Comment

Blimey. I thought you were joking!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                      What's the tosser video?
                      Tories ahve brought out a video about young people and debt. Bad behaviours is represented by the "tosser within"

From Mr CAmeron's own site.

http://www.webcameron.org.uk/library/video-1550

I think if you are going to produce something like that, you have to expect the inevitable :-

http://surrealscoop.blogspot.com/200...depiction.html
                      at

Comment

Working...
                      X