GuadalCanal Remixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GuadalCanal Remixed

If you were in charge of the Imperial Japanese military in 1942, what would you have done differently in order to defeat the American's at GuadalCanal? I believe history shows that serious blunders were made by the Japanese military that led to their defeat at GuadalCanal and led to a much quicker defeat in the war than might otherwise have been possible. I do believe the Allies would have still won this war, but it might have taken another year before that happened. Your comments and insights please.

O:)
    Revelation 16:16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
    (Been There)

From what I heard it was pretty damn hard anyway, despite the mistakes the Japs made...
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

There was no doubt it was hard!!! It could have been much worse. The Japanese had overwhelming naval power in the area and refused to use it. They had 6 battleships in the area (4 Kongo Class and 2 Yamato Class) and 4 carriers, yet for the longest refused to commit them to the bombardment of Henderson field. When they finally did late in the game, the Americans had two modern battleships to face off the Japanese. Even when the Japanese finally committed battleships for bombardment, they only committed two Kongo Class BB's instead of the whole fleet of BB's.

If when the American forces first landed the Japanese would have initiated daily battleship bombardment of Henderson field, The Japanese would have kept planes off Henderson field and starved the Americans out. As it was, it worked out the other way around. The American planes on Henderson field stopped almost all resupply efforts of the Japanese. The Japanese were so concerned with the "Mother of all Battles" with the U.S. fleet that they didn't take care of business. They were afraid to let the BB's and carriers take part in attacks on Henderson field that would have destroyed any defensive capability the U.S. forces had.

Another problem was Japanese pride. They had such a long string of victories against the Chinese, British and Americans, that they couldn't conceive the need for equal firepower much less superior firepower. Due to upper echelon pride and arrogance, they refused to look at the actual situation until it was too late to do anything about it. By the time leaders with good sense were in a position to do anything about it, it was too late…… Don't ever let yourself get arrogant and prideful, it will give you a serious butt kicking at the worst possible time!!!!

:S :ph34r
      Revelation 16:16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
      (Been There)

Comment

Don't forget the fact that the Japanese Navy and Army had a pissing contest going over who was responsible for Guadalcanals defence.
        Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

I would have ordered the Subs to go after tankers and cargo supply ships, and ignore warships, except the carriers.
          sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

In short you would have changed the entirety of IJN subfleet operations
            Your look more lost than a bastard child on fathers day.

Comment

That's exactly what I would have done. They sat on their rears waiting for the big battle instead of taking the war to the enemy. That cost them big time. I am not saying the Japanese had a prayer of winning the war, but they could have delayed the end for another year.
              (Been There)

Comment

I certainly would have stayed around for more follow through after Savo Island, maybe getting the supply ships. On the other hand, how godd was my intelligence to begin with?

By rights, they shouldn't have lost New Guinea either.
                Pa'am Tzanhan, Tamid Tzanhan.

Comment

Originally posted by markaspen
                  I certainly would have stayed around for more follow through after Savo Island, maybe getting the supply ships. On the other hand, how godd was my intelligence to begin with?

By rights, they shouldn't have lost New Guinea either.
                  we lost something like 10 ships there, tahts why its called "Ironbottom Sound"

Comment

Of course we left a few of theirs on the bottom as well, including a couple of BB's.....
                    (Been There)

Comment

Isn't the best defense a good offense? Shame they didn't apply that...
                      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Of course we left a few of theirs on the bottom as well, including a couple of BB's.....
                        Not at the first Battle of Savo we didn't. Had the Japanese not retired, they would have picked off whatever supply and warships were left.
                        http://www.ww2pacific.com/savo.html

Imagine what we could have done with the Long Lance. Worse yet, imagine what the U-Boat command could have done with them.
                        Pa'am Tzanhan, Tamid Tzanhan.

Comment

Those Mk 25's were a sorry lot weren't they? Luckily the Long Lance wasn't perfect either. Otherwise we might have lost both SoDak and Washington at Second Savo.....
                          (Been There)

Comment

anybody know how many ships we lost there?

Comment

The IJN's mistakes were large, but they all pale in comparision to Halsey idioticly charging away with the BB's and leaving the USMC protected by nothing more than a few jeep carriers and a destroyer squadron.

Of course, the IJN not taking advantadge of the situation was also a critical error.

Comment

Working...
                              X