Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Court Rules Israel's Barrier Illegal

By Mark Heinrich

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - The World Court will rule on Friday that Israel's West Bank barrier, which has caused hardship for thousands of Palestinians, violates international law and should be torn down, a leaked copy of the ruling showed.

A spokesman for the European Commission (news - web sites) said the decision seemed to confirm the European Union (news - web sites)'s view that the barrier was illegal and urged Israel to remove it from occupied territory.

Israel has said it will disregard the court's non-binding advisory decision, calling its barrier a vital security bulwark against infiltrations by Palestinian suicide bombers.

The court acknowledged Israel's duty to protect its citizens but said it must do so within the law and should compensate Palestinians for homes and land lost or damaged by the building of the 100-meter (yard) wide strip of walls, ditches and fences.

Palestinians brand the barrier a precursor to annexation of land Israel captured in the 1967 Middle East war and where they seek a viable state under a U.S.-backed "road map" peace plan.

Only American judge Thomas Buergenthal dissented from his 14 international colleagues' opinion, the leaked document showed.

The leaked document said the court would declare fences and walls infringed the rights of Palestinians trapped by twists and turns in the barrier that take it around Jewish settlements.

"The construction of the wall along the route chosen and its associated regime are contrary to international law," said the document leaked to Reuters in Jerusalem before its slated 3 p.m. announcement in The Hague (news - web sites) where the court is based.

"The court is not convinced that the construction of the wall along the route chosen was the only means to safeguard the interests of Israel against the peril it invoked as justification," the leaked document read.

U.N. ACTION URGED

The leaked text urged follow-up action by the U.N. General Assembly and U.N. Security Council, which could heighten Israeli concern about a move to impose sanctions on the Jewish state.

"The court is of the view that the United Nations (news - web sites), and especially the General Assembly and Security Council, should consider what further action is required to bring an end to the illegal situation resulting from the construction of the wall."

Palestinians tend to enjoy considerable support at the United Nations. But Israel looks to the U.S. veto in the Security Council to block any bid to punish it in the way that apartheid South Africa was after the World Court ruled its occupation of South West Africa, now Namibia, illegal in 1971.

WORLD ATTENTION

The World Court, the top U.N. legal body formally known as the International Court of Justice, acknowledged documents had been circulated before its announcement but said in a statement: "The registrar of the court wishes to make it clear that the only authentic text is the official text issued by the court."

Israeli and Palestinian officials declined comment before the ruling was announced. Palestinian President Yasser Arafat (news - web sites) said on Thursday: "We put tremendous faith in this court."

The General Assembly requested an opinion in December and the Hague court held hearings in February overshadowed by public lobbying and demonstrations from both sides.

The ruling was expected to be one of the most closely monitored in the 58-year history of the World Court and attested to paralysis in Middle East peacemaking after years of violence.

Israeli officials say the barrier, about a third of whose planned more than 370-mile length has been built since 2002, has already pre-empted dozens of suicide bomb attacks. Such bombers have killed hundreds of Israelis.

"We will abide by the ruling of our own High Court and not the panel in The Hague with judges from the European Union who are not suspected of being particularly disposed toward Israel," Justice Minister Yosef Lapid told Israeli Army Radio Friday.

Five of the 15 judges are from the European Union.

Last week Israel's top court ordered one segment of the barrier re-routed to avoid cutting off Palestinian villagers from farms, jobs, public services and cities, but ruled Israel had a right to build it in the West Bank on security grounds.

European Commission spokesman Jean-Christophe Filori said the EU had long felt the barrier's route did not adhere to the 1949 armistice line between Israel and the West Bank and that it could hinder peaceful solutions to the conflict.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ast_barrier_dc

What else is a Fascist court gonna rule agains a free country?

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
      What else is a Fascist court gonna rule agains a free country?
      Nothing new, just typical European hatred of Israel trying to defend themselves. Again, what would Europe do if they lived next door to a nation of terrorists sent terrorists to blow up innocent civilians on a daily basis. Europe should stop being hyprocritical as they would do the same if they were in Israel's situtation, unless they just surrendered outright and let the terrorists win.

Comment

They probley wouldn't do the same thing as Israel. They would give massive peices of land to sue for peace and then finnally fall.

Comment

They probley wouldn't do the same thing as Israel. They would give massive peices of land to sue for peace and then finnally fall.
          I thaught WW2 would have taught them a lesson and that you cant appease a dictator?

Comment

The Court has ruled that it is not wrong of Israel to build a wall for its security. It ruled that it should not be on occupied land.

If it is a fascist court, then we should let Milosevic free too.

It can't be a case of eating your cake and having it too.

Interestingly, there was a wall to segregate the Jews in Warsaw in Poland. That wall was an insult to humanity. To imagine that people were so stupid to think that Jews were inferior to them! We can blame the Nazis but then the Polish also showed they lack spine!
            Last edited by Ray; 09 Jul 04,, 18:59.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

It is not occupied land, it is ISRAELI land by right. They have the right to claim Syria as their land and take it if they wanted to!

Dictatorships have no right to exsist.

Comment

It is not occupied land, it is ISRAELI land by right. They have the right to claim Syria as their land and take it if they wanted to!

Dictatorships have no right to exsist.
                Thats rich! The Jews have done great stuff for the US; not only in the conomic field but in all fields including the nukes that has made US the most powerful nation. Therefore, lets give US to Israel because they have made US what it is.

I am aware that it is as flawed as the argument that Syria is also Israel as also the occupied land.

I will let it lie there since I don't wish to go into a infructious debate unless something that is worth my attention!

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Interestingly, there was a wall to segregate the Jews in Warsaw in Poland. That wall was an insult to humanity. To imagine that people were so stupid to think that Jews were inferior to them! We can blame the Nazis but then the Polish also showed they lack spine!
                  That was a wall to keep people in, this is a wall to keep people out. I think the route being used right now is appropriate, although I would remove a certain loop that sweeps in certain settlements. Praxus, I agree with you that dictatorships have no right to exist or to make claims against democracies. ..however, since Palestinians are not going to be given Israeli citizenship, they have to be given there own state or else Israel is no longer a democratic republic. Any Palestinians living west of the wall will be given Israeli citizenship, those living east, or in the Gaza Strip will form there own state. Notice that Israeli Arabs are in no hurry to leave Israel. In fact a recent survey in the Jerusalem Post showed Israeli Arabs have more faith in the Israeli legislature and judiaciary than Israeli Jews! Palestinians living west of the wall will do just fine if Israeli Arabs (many of which call themselves Palestinians) are any indicator. The ones east of the wall will be no worse off, and probably better since the wall gives them assurances that the Israeli government will not have any further claims to make, and will deny settlers the right to military protection east of the wall.

Thats rich! The Jews have done great stuff for the US; not only in the conomic field but in all fields including the nukes that has made US the most powerful nation. Therefore, lets give US to Israel because they have made US what it is.
                  You keep making allegories that make no sense. What is it that you are trying to say?
                  Last edited by ZFBoxcar; 09 Jul 04,, 19:15.

Comment

Dissenting US judge says ICJ did not seriously consider Palestinian attacks

THE HAGUE (AFP) - The International Court of Justice, which ruled that Israel's West Bank barrier was illegal, did not seriously consider Israeli victims of Palestinian attacks, the sole dissenting judge said.

"The repeated deadly terrorist attacks in and upon Israel proper coming from the occupied Palestinian territory... and their impact on Israel and its population are never really seriously examined by the court, and its findings barely touch on the subject," US judge Thomas Buergenthal wrote in his dissenting opinion.

"I am not suggesting that such an examination would relieve Israel of the charge that the wall it is building violates international law, either in whole or in part, only that without this examination the findings made are not legally well founded," he added.

"In my opinion, the humanitarian needs of the Palestinian people would have been better served had the court taken these considerations into account, for that would have given the opinion the credibility I believe it lacks," Buergenthal insisted.

The ICJ, the highest UN legal body, ruled in an "advisory opinion" that the barrier Israel is building on the occupied West Bank is illegal under international law and that parts of it should be torn down.

The Israeli government, which claims it needs the barrier to protect against suicide bombers, had made clear even before Friday's verdict that it had no intention of halting construction work on the wall, which is due to be completed by the end of next year and should eventually stretch for some 700 kilometers (430 miles).

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...st_icj_barrier

-------------------------------------------------

There we have it: Straight from the one judge who wanted a fair hearing, we see that this show was rigged from the start. The ICJ, the UN, a good chunk of the EU, the only thing that matter to them is that Israel be condemned as much as possible and that the Palestinians be raised on a pedastal. Justice is absent when the murder of Israelis is placed bellow inconvienicing Palestinian commuters .
                    The trouble the barrier is causing Palestinians can be reversed. Lives lost without the barrier cannot be.

Comment

I am aware that it is as flawed as the argument that Syria is also Israel as also the occupied land.
                      I never claimed Syria was part of Israel. I simply claimed that Israel has a right to any land it so chooses currently under the rule of a tyranicle government.

I will let it lie there since I don't wish to go into a infructious debate unless something that is worth my attention!
                      Oh get over yourself.

You don't even present a counter-argument. Present one and tell me why Israel does not have such rights. If you don't want to present one, then don't post a response.

Comment

Rebuild the wall outside of "occupied" territory, tear down the old wall, kill or arrest Yasser & ALL of his pals, and return the land to it's people. If they play nice, tear down the wall forever. If they still want to destroy Israel, then all of our countries should destroy them, yet again, and start over.
                        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
                          Rebuild the wall outside of "occupied" territory, tear down the old wall, kill or arrest Yasser & ALL of his pals, and return the land to it's people. If they play nice, tear down the wall forever. If they still want to destroy Israel, then all of our countries should destroy them, yet again, and start over.
                          First off I do not believe building a wall is the sollution to the problem as a physical barrier will not stop them from hitting Israeli targets in other ways. Israel needs to begin an unrestricted campaign against these militants.

Comment

Well the responce to this ruling is quite simple. The U.S. (and Canada in my veiw) sould pull any and all troops out of europe (except Britain and eastern europe) and their related interests and leave them to fight themselves. We should place those troops where WE need them (ie Iraq, Afganistan). If they think their so smart they can fight their own battles with their puny armys. We can Veto any and all resolutions the French pose in the UN (even the ones we agree with after which we hypocritically carry it out ourselves), and veto any war resolutions the French pose as well.
                            Isreal's building of the wall has clearly reduced suicide attacks by 90%, saying it should be torn down is effectivly supporting the murder of Jews so to those who agree it should be torn down I say "screw you".
                            Facts to a liberal is like Kryptonite to Superman.

-- Larry Elder

Comment

Originally posted by ZFBoxcar

You keep making allegories that make no sense. What is it that you are trying to say?
                              You are right. History makes no sense.

Are you suggesting Hitler and his stormtroopers were right? Or is that to be forgotten?

Further, if you have blinkers on then I am afraid you will fail to see that you call 'counter argument'.
                              Last edited by Ray; 10 Jul 04,, 10:50.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Working...
                              X