Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brigitte Bardot fined for slurring Muslims in book

Rather Reneges on Promise Not to Bash Reagan

CBS anchorman Dan Rather said Tuesday that he didn't think it was a good idea for reporters to attack Ronald Reagan as the nation pays its respects.

"When a twice-elected, two-full-term president dies, it's not the time for a seminar on his strengths and weaknesses, in my opinion," he told the Philadelphia Inquirer. "To paraphrase Marc Antony, I think, by and large, that the good that men do should live after them, and the evil should be interred with their bones."

But in his "Evening News" broadcast that night, the CBS star decided it was time to rehash the Iran-Contra scandal.

As chronicled by the Web site Ratherbiased.com, Rather teased his Reagan retrospective thusly: "Straight ahead now on the CBS 'Evening News,' President Reagan and the missiles-for-Iran deal. Is or is not America still paying a price for what's called the Iran-Contra debacle?"

Rather handed off the segment to Bill Plante, who offered a fairly balanced version of events, but included a few subtle digs.

"The president's full disclosure at home, however, didn't salvage U.S. policy in the Middle East," Plante argued. "Relations with Iran deteriorated further. Iraq, which the Reagan administration had backed in its war against Iran, went on to use chemical weapons in 1988 with little protest from the U.S."

Plante concluded with comments that seemed to blame Reagan for global terrorism.

"An arms control agreement with the Soviet Union refurbished President Reagan's image, but U.S. efforts to deal with the tough issues in the Middle East went on hold, helping to set the stage for the first Iraq war and the rise of Islamic fundamentalism. Bill Plante, CBS News."

Rather said Plante's piece would be the first in a weeklong series examining Reagan's legacy.
    Last edited by themuffinman; 11 Jun 04,, 15:24. Reason: already posted
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body. USMC
    Semper Fi

See

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/26/in...dbf&ei=5070&hp

Comment

Very paradoxical.

One type of people can sloganeer with racist intent aimed to ignite religious passions leading to violent act and act irresponsible and dangerous, while another writing in her book her private opinions can be booked and fined!

Could it be this is taking 'political correctness' a wee bit too far?

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
        Very paradoxical.

One type of people can sloganeer with racist intent aimed to ignite religious passions leading to violent act and act irresponsible and dangerous, while another writing in her book her private opinions can be booked and fined!

Could it be this is taking 'political correctness' a wee bit too far?
        Yes, I agree. Its BS political corectness

Comment

Now is the time for all the news media to do its "Ronnie Remembrance" stuff. I am sure we would be purturbed if the Iran-Contra issue didn't come up.

I think there is a difference between bashing someone, which i would interpret as focusing on their bad points, and covering their legacy of which Iran-Contra is definitely significant to RR's presidency.
          at

Comment

I thought this is the thread on Bardot slurring Muslims in her book.

How come Ronald Reagen's story is out here byMuffinman as the starting post? It was not there and hence the replies are looking a bit out of context and wierd.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray
              I thought this is the thread on Bardot slurring Muslims in her book.

How come Ronald Reagen's story is out here byMuffinman as the starting post? It was not there and hence the replies are looking a bit out of context and wierd.
              because Irondüke already posted it Social, Economic & Political Issues
              . i tried to edit thread name butt couldn't. sorry its causing you problems Ray I won't let it happen again.
              Pain is just weakness leaving the body. USMC
              Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by themuffinman
                because Irondüke already posted it Social, Economic & Political Issues
                . i tried to edit thread name butt couldn't. sorry its causing you problems Ray I won't let it happen again.
                I am sure that it nwould cause problem to anyone who is trying to foolw a thread.

I did not know that you are also a head honcho (hope that is not politically incorret since here we are not aware of all that. If it is, my apologies).

Notwitstanding, I am WILD that it is NOT FAIR.

NO DOUBLE STANDARDS.

If Bardot is fined, fine the other guys too. Don't be scared. Enough is enough.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Nevermind the political crap, post some pictures of her young!

Comment

Working...
                  X