• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.N. troops buy sex from teen refugees

Posted: May 25, 2004
    12:51 p.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

United Nations peacekeeping troops are sexually exploiting teenage rape victims fleeing war in the Democratic Republic of Congo, according to an investigation by the The Independent newspaper of London.

Many of the girls, as young as 13, are mothers who give up their bodies to the U.N. soldiers in exchange for food to feed their hungry children.

The girls, who live in the Internally Displaced People camp in Bunia, northeastern Congo, already are victims of multiple rape by militiamen.

The British paper interviewed girls and aid workers who said every night girls crawl through a wire fence to an adjoining U.N. compound to sell their bodies to Moroccan and Uruguayan soldiers.

In exchange, they receive a banana or a cake.

The U.N. has pledged a "zero tolerance" attitude to cases of sexual misconduct by its respresentatives and has announced an inquiry into the allegations. But the London paper says doubts remain about the effectiveness of the probe and the ability of the U.N. to bring the perpetrators to justice.

A 13-year-old girl, Faela, told The Independent her infant son is the result of rape by militiamen in her village. Consequently, she is ostracized in the camp and has no one to take care of her.

"It is easy for us to get to the U.N. soldiers," she told the paper. "We climb through the fence when it is dark, sometimes once a night, sometimes more."

The Independent said it spoke to more than 30 girls over five days, and half said they made the journey under the fence to the compound run by MONUC, the U.N. mission in Congo.

A worker with the aid group that manages the camp, Atlas, said staff knew about the sex trade but were afraid to address it.

"There is nothing to stop them and the girls need food," he told the paper. "It is best to keep quiet, though. I am frightened that if I say something I may lose my job, and I have children of my own to feed."

The head of the U.N. in Bunia, Dominique McAdams, said she she saw no evidence of sexual violence in the camp, although she believe it was taking place.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body. USMC
    Semper Fi

You mean the UN is doing something wrong? no way!

Comment

This is disgusting.

It is a sorry state when the worlds 'peacekeepers' commit paedophilia and the worlds 'greatest democracy' commit torture and murder.
      Last edited by jth298; 27 May 04,, 16:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Leader
        You mean the UN is doing something wrong? no way!
        I really have not seen this in the news, but The Liberal media never lets us forget how bad American soldiers are. In any news story the will always mention the Grab-An-Arab Prison Scandal. I meant Abu Ghraib prison.
        Semper Fi

Comment

It ain't the UN but the countries contributing troops to those missions. I remembered the Russians who seemed to like vodka a bit too much. East Europeans were frequent visitors to brothels. Their cultures just don't see anything wrong with activities that they see as normal outside of actual duties.

As for MONUC, the majority of the contributing force are Africans. Garbage in. Garbage out.

Comment

Originally posted by jth298
            This is disgusting.

It is a sorry state when the worlds 'peacekeepers' commit paedophilia and the worlds 'greatest democracy' commit torture and murder.
            What torture and what murder? You mean Humiliation and war. There are no wars were no one dies. Its not a video game. Those men in that prison were the worst of the worst. Abu Ghraib The Pelican Bay of iraq and you have sympathy for those men.
            They are still alive.
            Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by themuffinman
              What torture and what murder? You mean Humiliation and war. There are no wars were no one dies. Its not a video game. Those men in that prison were the worst of the worst. Abu Ghraib The Pelican Bay of iraq and you have sympathy for those men.
              They are still alive.
              Actually there has been murder and who knows what else at that Abu Gharaib.
              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by jth298
                This is disgusting.

the worlds 'greatest democracy' commit torture and murder.
                Can't resist the opportunity to bash the US can you?

Comment

Don't you love how he worded it too? We did it, you and I. I guess everything bad the UK countries have ever done is his fault, and that's alot of nasty stuff.
                  No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                  I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                  even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                  He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Confed999
                    Don't you love how he worded it too? We did it, you and I. I guess everything bad the UK countries have ever done is his fault, and that's alot of nasty stuff.
                    He brings it up to distract attention from the ineptitude of the UN. In fact, the UN is not just inept. It is actively causing harm to the world.

Comment

He brings it up to distract attention from the ineptitude of the UN. In fact, the UN is not just inept. It is actively causing harm to the world.
                      Roger that, the only way these raped women can be safe from gangs and thugs is to sleep with UN peacekeepers, either way they are violated. Sick and discusting. I wonder why CNN or other US news outlets arent reporting this? O How I wonder <rhetorical question btw>

Comment

This will probably tweak some of you guys, but I blame every one of the good countries not currently helping there, including the USA, for the state of the Congo. Because enough good guys aren't there, lets just say, "less than good" guys have had to take over. That said, I hope the ones who did this are brought to justice, and I neither blame the UN or the people of their countries for their crimes.
                        No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
                        I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
                        even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
                        He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

I am not anti - american. I just cant understand the logic of their foreign policy at the moment.

Comment

There is indeed a lot that the UK has to be ashamed of. I do not dispute that. Nor do I suggest that everything that my nation has ever done is my fault.

When I said 'peacekeepers' and 'greatest democracy' I am using the labels that these respective organisations have given themselves and the labels by which they wish to be known internationally.

Comment

This will probably tweak some of you guys, but I blame every one of the good countries not currently helping there, including the USA, for the state of the Congo. Because enough good guys aren't there, lets just say, "less than good" guys have had to take over. That said, I hope the ones who did this are brought to justice, and I neither blame the UN or the people of their countries for their crimes.
                              Doesn't tweak me at all. I agree.
                              Last edited by jth298; 28 May 04,, 10:06.

Comment

Working...
                              X