Scottish Bayonet Charge in Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Bayonet Charge in Iraq

How interesting would taped footage of this fight be?

Argylls fight hand to hand in Iraq
    BRIAN BRADY
    WESTMINSTER EDITOR

SCOTTISH troops fixed bayonets and fought hand to hand with a Shi’ite militia in southern Iraq in one of their fiercest clashes since the war was declared more than a year ago, it was reported last night.

Soldiers from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders mounted what were described as "classic infantry assaults" on firing and mortar positions held by more than 100 fighters loyal to the outlawed cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, according to military sources.

At least 20 men from al-Sadr’s army were believed killed in more than three hours of fighting - the highest toll reported in any single incident involving British forces in the past 12 months.

Nine fighters were captured and three British soldiers injured, none seriously.

"It was very bloody and it was difficult to count all their dead," one source was quoted as saying. "There were bodies floating in the river."

The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders were drawn into the fighting when soldiers in two Land-Rovers were ambushed on Friday afternoon about 15 miles east of the city of Amara. The soldiers escaped, only to be ambushed a second time by a larger group of militia, armed with machine-guns, rocket-propelled grenades and mortars.

Reinforcements were summoned from the Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment at a base nearby. "There was some pretty fierce hand-to-hand fighting with bayonets fixed," the source added. "There were some classic assaults on mortar positions held by the al-Sadr forces."

Official spokesman Major Ian Clooney confirmed the Mehdi army "took a pretty heavy knocking", but refused to specify tactics. "This was certainly an intense engagement," he added.

Originally posted by Lunatock
    "It was very bloody and it was difficult to count all their dead," one source was quoted as saying. "There were bodies floating in the river."
    Nothing like hearing about more dead terrorist in the morning.

Comment

Forward!

Comment

Operation Iraqi FRRREEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDOOOOMMM!

Comment

Find the enemy, destroy the enemy.
          No man is free until all men are free - John Hossack
          I agree completely with this Administration’s goal of a regime change in Iraq-John Kerry
          even if that enforcement is mostly at the hands of the United States, a right we retain even if the Security Council fails to act-John Kerry
          He may even miscalculate and slide these weapons off to terrorist groups to invite them to be a surrogate to use them against the United States. It’s the miscalculation that poses the greatest threat-John Kerry

Comment

Makes a fella proud to be a Scot. :)

Comment

Does anybody have pictures of SA-80's with fixed bayonets?

Comment

Do the scotish soldiers wear skirts?I guess so, in that desert heat must be comfy and balls get fresh air.

Comment

I'm sure soldiers wouldn't say this, but Bayonet charges seem so damn cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinks he's funny
                    Do the scotish soldiers wear skirts?I guess so, in that desert heat must be comfy and balls get fresh air.

Comment

That's so awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Praxus
                        I'm sure soldiers wouldn't say this, but Bayonet charges seem so damn cool.
                        Actually, they were short of ammo and had to end it one way or the other before running out.

Originally posted by bodybag
                        The KILT is optional garrison dress and standard regt dress. All battle dress are full pants and must be NBC compliant.

Comment

WITH BAYONETS ATTACHED, THEY FINISHED OFF THE ENEMY WHO HAD NOT RUN AWAY..
                          http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/ne...l&siteid=89488

That must have been some site to see. Wonder why it never came out in the US press
                          Pain is just weakness leaving the body. USMC
                          Semper Fi

Comment

It might no have come out in the US press, but i am sure Hollywood will dramatise the event. Ben Afleck will probably play the US serviceman in question.

(sorry haven't forgiven Hollywood for U-571, Colditz (remake), Memphis Belle and so on.
                            at

Comment

Working...
                            X