X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the NATO panic?

NATO sees spike in Afghanistan violence

By RAHIM FAIEZ, Associated Press Writer Sun Oct 8, 8:30 AM ET

KABUL, Afghanistan - Taliban militants have launched 78 suicide attacks across
    Afghanistan this year, killing close to 200 people,
    NATO said Sunday. Violence has increased sharply across Afghanistan the last several months, and the Taliban has acknowledged adopting the suicide bombings and remote-controlled attacks commonly used by insurgents in
    Iraq.

Seth Jones, an analyst for the U.S.-based RAND Corp., said there had been an "extraordinary change" in the lethality of attacks in Afghanistan in 2006, indicating that militants are using "more sophisticated" techniques.

"There have been more suicide attacks in Afghanistan in 2006 than in the entire history of the country combined," Jones said. "That is one reason that the fatality numbers are so large — the suicide attack."

NATO said 142 Afghan civilians, 40 Afghan security forces and 13 international troops have died in suicide attacks since January.

The military alliance also said it has detained 10 would-be suicide bombers, in addition to 17 would-be bombers that Afghanistan's intelligence agency last week said it has detained.

"Our capability to learn about who is bringing this death and destruction in the form of suicide bombs and roadside bombs grows every day," said Maj. Luke Knittig, a spokesman for NATO's International Security Assistance Force.

Fighting in the south has subsided since hitting a peak in August and September, when Western forces had protracted battles with militants in the southern province of Kandahar, said NATO spokesman Mark Laity.

The U.S.-led coalition and Afghan forces, meanwhile, killed five suspected insurgents in a clash in eastern Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defense said. One suspected insurgent was detained following the gunfight Saturday in eastern Paktika province.

-----------------------

The statistics in bold are to me almost insignificant. I've also seen it claimed NATO is 'losing 5 men per week', but that includes accidents/fratricide- and i suspect- allied afghan forces. I am HIGHLY dubious of the validity of "5 NATO troops lost per week" number.

What's the cause for all this panic wrt A-stan? I don't get it.
    Last edited by Bill; 08 Oct 06,, 16:38.

to get more men, money and equipment?
    A grain of wheat eclipsed the sun of Adam !!

Comment

Gun Grape Alert - put down that coffee

Originally posted by M21Sniper View Post
      What's the cause for all this panic wrt A-stan? I don't get it.
      I'm trying to remember something a very wiseman once wrote. What was it? Ah, yes

Originally posted by M21Sniper View Post
      Probably because huge chunks of each of our populations are a bunch of slack-jawed pusssies.
      Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 09 Oct 06,, 01:05. Reason: Proper warning action deemed necessary by the good Sgt

Comment

Coffee + computer

I think you were supposed to issue a Gun Grape alert before that last post!
        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Comment

Originally Posted by M21Sniper View Post
            Probably because huge chunks of each of our populations are a bunch of slack-jawed pusssies.
            Bingo.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              Gun Grape Alert - put down that coffee

the monitor and I thank You:)

Comment

Working...
              X